Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Walking Socks…..
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hey,

It appears all my walking socks have worn through after years of punishment. I’ve had Bridgedales, Smartwool, Stance – they’ve been good to me. But, it’s been a while since I’ve bought walking socks.

I walk a couple of hours a day, and I’m upping my hillwalking again – and I’ve managed to blister up my heels from a combination of wearing the wrong insoles, worn out socks, and heat.

So – what decent socks are around at the moment that I should take a look at? I’m thinking medium thickness for general duties and UK weather…

What have you?!

ElShalimo

Lorpen medium weight have served me well for the last 5 years. 2 pairs in rotation. They are getting a little tired now so will probably replace them with the new version.

Darn Tough get great reviews

Tom-B
    Free Member

1000 mile socks

sofaboy73
    Free Member

bridgedales for me, seem to last really well, although i favour the heavier weight thicker ones. had a couple of pairs of smart wool socks and the toe seam went really quickly and i got fed up of the inner lining on 100 mile socks getting twisted and bunched after washing

mrb123
    Free Member

Never seem any reason to depart from Bridgedale. Usually use their midweight ones for 3 season walking in boots. Light ankle ones for walking shoes.

BadlyWiredDog

Bridgedale are decent – huge range, mix of wool and synthetic yarns mean they’re pretty durable. Smartwool are great when new, but not durable ime apart from the PHD ones which use a special weave – or maybe knit – in high wear areas and are much better. If you want something that’s decent but also long lasting in a pretty much indestructible way, check out Darn Tough. For posh socks that work really well but cost a lot, Falke.

rickon
    Free Member

Smartwool are great when new, but not durable

Glad someone else said this. Mine lasted a few months and went thin at the heel. Really disappointing for a retail of like £30 a pair!

Ooooh, Falke – I’ve got some of their slipper socks. They’ve lasted about 6 years and are incredible. Great shout!

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Bridgedale for the win

slowoldman

Generally Bridgedale Coolmax inners and Thorlo walking socks (or mountaineering socks for Winter).

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I find the merino PX sock variants work well for work even in warm weather, where I’m typically walking and deliverying for 4-5 hours a day.

rickon
    Free Member

Some Falke TK1 and TK2 socks on order! Thanks everyone 🙂 My poorly blistered feet also thank you!

mrsheen
    Free Member

Suggested Bridgedale on the DoE blister thread so I’ll try again here.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bridgedale liner socks below bridgedale merino, and footwear with a bit of room in them. 👍🏻

Northwind

Scapegoat

Meindl. Fitted, ribbed and a good merino mix. The Jagd Socken (hunting socks) are truly comfy and come in two lengths. I can only assume the walking socks are every bit as good.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

https://www.onlyarmysurplus.co.uk/Czech_army_cushion_Socks

Dont wear anything else for work, walking winter or summer.

Last for ages

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Walking Socks…..’ is closed to new replies.