Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Walking shoe/boot recommendations please.
  • renton
    Free Member

Looking for recommendations on walking boots please.

So far I’ve tried some Salomon ultra 4 but they were too narrow.

I’ve also tried some North Face litewave boots but they are bending funny on top when I walk and dig into the top of my toes.

I’m not after full on hiking boots just something comfy for covering the miles in when walking in the woods or over the Malvern’s etc.

Ideally wider fitting.

Budget up to £120

Thanks all.

fazzini

Keen targhee shoes or mids. Comfiest shoes I’ve had.

MoreCashThanDash

For wider fitting both LittleMissMC and I have ended up with Han Weg boots this year, but unlikely to be in your budget.

Very nice though.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Keen seem to.have fallen off a cliff in terms of quality recently.

Salomon do come up slightly narrow in standard sizing. They do a wide fit option now, which would be worth a look.

Merak

I use Keen Targhee too. Excellent shoes.

pedlad

They are getting tired now but really liked the Dachstein pair I’ve had for ~3 years now. The Salomon pair before that were much worse quality and went sloppy quite quickly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Xero daylite hiker if you’re happy with the barefoot way of doing things. Definitely wide.

I also like Freet but the sole isn’t as aggressive.

jimw
    Free Member

Shoes/boots are so individual in their fitting and comfort as everyone’s feet are different which is why a good fitting session is always worthwhile. Having said that, I have fairly wide feet and I have always found Scarpa boots fit me the best, you might find some in the sales for that price.
    I also have a pair of Merrell Acentors which I use for walking with the dog on the Malverns which are about £120

fasthaggis

Wide foot person here 🙂
    I got a pair of Keen Karraig boots for general scruffing about in,a bit more clumpy than the Targhee suggested by fazzini, but now that I have worn them for a few months I think they are a pretty good all rounder.
    They also feel like they will last longer than my Salomons did.

nicko74

Another vote against North Face – the build quality is utterly miserable; I had two pairs of waterproof hiking shoes that lost their waterproofness within 12 months, and the soles were in the process of falling off

Onzadog
    Free Member

This thread has reminded me. I have a pair of Alt-Berg size 9 in XW fit that I’ve not warn since I had them resoled. Maybe I should put them in the classifieds.

iainc

Meindl do a ‘comfort fit’ in many of their boots, which incorporates a wider toe box. I have a few pairs and they are great

grum
    Free Member

I have wide feet and find my Meindls really comfy but I’d be going to a decent shop for a fitting definitely.

Of it’s not for the kind of hiking where ankle protection is useful you could just get some good trail trainers also. Will be lighter/comfier just less protective on rough ground.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Altra for very wide ‘barefoot’ fit. But with the cushioned thicker sole of a normal shoe.

matt_outandabout

We use approach shoes for most days now, and I would say over half our munro/mountain days are in approach shoes these days. This then opens up a lot more options.

As you are finding, fit is everything and one size does not fit all.

As my feet have flattened out (mid 40’s in age) I have moved away from Salomon and into Brooks, Mammut and Adidas (although the Adidas are the narrowest of the lot).

grum
    Free Member

I was gonna say I find Adidas way too narrow

BadlyWiredDog

KEEN tend to the wide fitting, the original US models are huge, the later, European-lasted ones a bit less huge, but still pretty generous. The Berghaus leather boots, which were previously Brasher boots are comfortable and again, very wide fitting. Hanwag has some specific wide fit models, but probably out of your price range. The Inov8 hiking boot is also pretty high volume in the forefoot, I had to use a volume reducer to stop my feet sliding about in them. TNF has a nice last with a reasonably broad forefoot, but a narrower heel.

Really though you need to try stuff on with footwear if your feet are anywhere beyond normal distribution. Your idea of wide may be different from mine. You may just have high volume forefoot rather than a wide one. Your heels may be wider or narrower than average. You’re basically looking for a brand that thinks its typical customer has feet designed close to your shape as they’re all subtly different, sometimes even across different models of boot – Scarpa for example has pretty wide boots, but also some relatively narrow technical lasts on its mountain boots, but not all of them… so yeah, try lots on and see what fits without hot stops and heel slippage.

matt_outandabout

I was gonna say I find Adidas way too narrow

I had one pair that were easily as narrow (and uncomfortable) as most Salomon’s.

But my current Adidas Terrex Skychaser (old model) are OK – and my main walking boots are Salomon X-Alp. However they are on a different last to their trainers and super light walking trainer boots.

lunge

Personally, I tend to use trail running shoes for walking like you describe. Lighter, just as much grip and much more pleasant to wear.
    So I’d go with Nike Pegasus Trail 3 (Gore-Tex version also available). Currently in the sale for well under £100.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Goretex trail running shoes, for that kind of walking. I wear asics fujitrabuco, but you’re spoiled fir choice tbh.

Philby

I have a pair of Keen Targhees. They are comfortable but the quality is poor – material by some of the loops for the laces has frayed and splits appearing in some of the material on the outer side of the shoe. They haven’t been used that much and hardly at all off road.

duncancallum

My feet are as wide as long. Best shoes I’ve found are meindl

funkrodent

I’ve got wide, flat feet and the Meindl boots I’ve got are hands (feet) down the best I’ve ever had. Super comfortable from the moment I put them on. Didn’t even need to be worn in

TiRed

I’m a fan of approach shoes. I like the lightweight nature. I’ve narrow feet but still find Scarpa very comfortable as they lace right down to the toes. Wore out some highballs and now replaced. Non Gore Tex as I like them to dry out faster.

rjmccann101

Brasher Country Classic work well for me, comfortable to walk all day in (for me anyway) and well inside your budget.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Non Gore Tex as I like them to dry out faster.

For actual running, or multi day walks, I’m with you. For day walks, I’ll always go goretex, my fujis will handle pretty impressive amounts of water.

Even stayed dry on the path up the Lochy side of Beinn Lui, which is quite a victory!.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Love my Scarpa gtx (mavericks I think)
    Most comfortable boot/shoe I’ve ever owned. I wish I could wear them for work and everyday use!
    Slightly over budget at £140 unless you. An find them on offer at go outdoors.
    Certainly not a narrow fit.

colinrobinson215
    Free Member

Bestard. I’ve got 3 pairs all different styles and all fantastic. Sport pursuit normally sells them cheap.

Check the Bestard website as they have loads of info on size, fit, grip etc. Then buy from sport pursuit.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Been to Cotswold outdoor today and tried quite a few pairs on.

Ended up with a pair of Scarpa Cyrus mid gtx.

Felt Uber comfy from the off and no heel lift. Will wear them round the house for a bit to see if they loosen up etc.

Thanks for all the a suggestions.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Walking shoe/boot recommendations please.’ is closed to new replies.