Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Walking poles recommendations
  • Mounty_73

Looking for some new walking pole(s). I tend to use just one pole on descents. As everything there are so many to choose from.

I have a budget of up to £40. Not bothered too much about weight, but I need something that packs down small.

Any recommendations please?

boblo
    Free Member

Too much weight makes my shoulders ache.

Recomendations? Squeeze a bit more budget and get these. They are pretty good as they pack down small into your sack and are reasonably light. Prices betterer via Google (about £80).

voodoo_chile

You have mail

ElShalimo

If you’re really going to use them a lot try to get ones with cork handles. They feel nicer next to bare skin on hot days. The plastic handles can be rough and give you hand blisters. Basically plastic is cheaper but not as nice to use.
    Do you intend on using 2 at the same time? Many UK footpaths are not suited to this, we don’t have wide manicured paths like in Europe, so probably ok for popular paths but not very good for less frequented hills

Mounty_73

You have mail

Not yet 🙂

Do you intend on using 2 at the same time? Many UK footpaths are not suited to this, we don’t have wide manicured paths like in Europe, so probably ok for popular paths but not very good for less frequented hills

I have only ever used one pole and its nearly always used descending…

turbo1397
    Free Member

I had leki makalu’s.. couldnt fault them and reasonably light..

ElShalimo

I’ve got the basic Leki with a cork handle but it’s doesn’t roll down that small
    I got it in a sale for £13 years ago so it’d be rude to complain

boblo
    Free Member

To the OP, you should try a pair for both up and down. Can’t recall the numbers but up is supposed to be ~30% more efficient with poles and down with a pair will just save your knees. I used to be very sceptical, now fully converted.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Walking poles recommendations’ is closed to new replies.