Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Walking holiday in Portugal
  • dufresneorama
    Free Member

We’re going to a family wedding in Portugal next spring, it’s on the south coast but we’re looking at extending our time there to do some hiking. Maybe a couple of days in Lisbon too so not restricted to the Algarve.

Anyone know walks or areas we should look at? We’re happy with multi day walks.

goldfish24

Look into Guadiana. Fantastic wildlife, you’ll need some help routing, it’s not like the OS in the uk.

Edit: more specifically I’m talking the national park of the Guadiana valley. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1068892-d4006919-Reviews-Parque_Natural_do_Vale_do_Guadiana-Mertola_Beja_District_Alentejo.html

Edukator
    Free Member

We did the Porto to Compostelle walk starting along the coast then moving inland, it starts in Lisbon and roughly follows the Roman road. The Portuguese drivers being pedestrian unfrienly avoid walks with road sections.

99percentchimp
    Free Member

Trans Algarve LDP

Running across the hinterland of the Algarve from Guardiana mentioned above to Cape Sao Vicent in the SW corner.

SW Coast Path

Walked and biked sections of both these. Wild in parts and some great scenery.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Lovely, I’ll have a wee look 👍

footflaps

The Very SW of the country is lovely for biking and walking, it’s much quieter than the rest of the Algarve – the further you get from Faro the quieter it gets. Once you’re West of Lagos you’ve left the main tourist area and it’s much nicer. Do check the wind directions and fire risk if you’re walking during summer, the last few years they’ve had massive wild fires and you really want to have thought about escape routes to the nearest road etc when walking during a high fire risk period.

myti
    Free Member

I spent 5 months in Portugal last Autumn winter and found the walking very disappointing on the whole. There are some nice bits but we didn’t find a a huge amount of footpaths and a lot of the landscape is very sandy and scrubby. The coast and cliffs around Sagres are stunning though.

We have found Wikilok essential for finding walks and rides in Europe. It is similar to Kamoot and wherever you find yourself you can search for walks that people have uploaded.

mogrim

We have found Wikilok essential for finding walks and rides in Europe. It is similar to Kamoot and wherever you find yourself you can search for walks that people have uploaded.

That’s Wikiloc (with a “c”).

https://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/map.do?sw=37.010777643303705%2C-8.54393005371094&ne=37.23470197166817%2C-8.14842224121094&page=1

(It’s the Spanish link as I’m in Spain, I assume if you click on it from the UK it’ll change to an English language site).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Walking holiday in Portugal’ is closed to new replies.