Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Walking Boot Sizing?
  • stayhigh

Morning all,

Having recently had my feet measured at Cotswolds, I’m a little confused as to which size boots to get. Evidently my feet are R9.5 and L9 and the advice offered was that as when standing your feet are half a size bigger I should get a 10. Will this not mean that my left boot will be loose though or am I just caught in a massive overthinking loop? Meindl Bhutans if that has any bearing.

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s going to depend on the make as sizes aren’t that standardised, I’m not familiar with meindl sizes. I prefer a half size up for winter boots to allow for thicker socks. Normal size for summer. A 10 on a 9 sized foot does sound too big to me.

ElShalimo

They should have measured your feet both sat down and stood up with the Brannock(sp?) Device.

If there is a big difference you can get a volume adjuster/reducer to help with the smaller foot.

BadlyWiredDog

Two thoughts. One is simply to try the boots on with the socks you intend to wear and wander round the shop, up and down their hill simulating thing etc. Decent shops will let you take the boots home, wear them indoors only, and return them if you’re not happy with fit.

Second is that your feet may be elongating when you stand up because your arches are flattening ouot, ‘collapsing’ is the more dramatic terminology. An aftermarket insole with more arch support could eliminate this and impact on sizing.

Boot shape is just as important as sizing btw. Try lots of different brands till you find one that works best with your foot shape. Different brands use different lasts with differing forefoot fits, width and volume, heel widths, shapes etc. If you have a foot like a duck, you need a boot that’s shaped to suit. Which is obvious, but important.

I generally end up true to size with walking boots, but that’s possibly because ‘true to size’ for me is about half a size up on my measured size, if that makes sense. Oh, and sizes differ between brands too. Some are generous for the given size, others are tight, eg: adidas.

Brown
    Free Member

I fitted boots in shops (including cotswolds) for a few years. I’m not sure you got the most experienced assistant in the shop there.

Your feet don’t necessarily go up half a size when you stand. Might be more, might be less. I’d go back and get your feet measured again, ideally sitting and standing, or at the very least, just standing.

Get measured in the socks you’re going to wear. Thickness of sock makes quite a difference.

Re. Sizing, most people have different length and shape feet. Nothing odd there. I’d size, for the larger foot. Better to have a boot a touch too big than one that’s too small. Risk of blisters and movement v bruising and loss of toenails. But half a size is about 5mm so you should be able to find a boot that accommodates both.

Meindl used to run about right/maybe a touch large for the size. Subject to measuring your feet properly, I would have put you in the size you measured. Other brands come up differently. They’re also all different shapes and volumes.

Basically, go back, get them to measure you properly and then try a few. (Or just try a few, they’re on your feet after all. All the fitter can do is guide you.) Don’t over think it. If it feels right, it probably is.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Walking Boot Sizing?’ is closed to new replies.