Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Walking boot recommendation?
  • flatfish
    Free Member

Looking for a new pair of boots.

Requirements:

Water proof
    Breathable
    Easy cleanable as they’re likely to see a fair bit of mud over winter
    Ones that fit

Any worth considering?

lemonysam
    Free Member

ones that fit.

Cougar

Go to a shop and try loads on. I can recommend what I find comfortable (Berghaus Explorer GTX, they’re ace) but unless you have my feet any recommendations are of debatable value.

13thfloormonk

lemonysam beat me to it, although I seem to fit most brands so not sure if it’s as critical as people make out.

However, you need to decide how waterproof is waterproof enough. Anything with a breathable liner (goretex or otherwise) will be waterproof initially, however I find membrane style boots start to leak fairly early, the lighter weight and more flexible they are the quicker this happens (in my experience). Buy a stiff winter boot with a liner and it will probably stay waterproof for ages as the liner doesn’t get worn through by constant flexing.

I’m now experimenting with one piece leather boots (Altberg Tetheras) on the premise that the leather should be waterproof enough if I keep it treated. So far so good, completely waterproof despite any number of river crossings and boggy marches, although to confuse matters, they also come with a (redundant, in my view) waterproof liner.

Scarpa do a one piece leather boot (the SL Active I think it’s called) without a liner which would be great but I think it was a stiffer boot design for 4 season use (but not crampons, so sort of easy/soft snow where you might be step kicking but wouldn’t need crampons).

hugo
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Brasher Superlite, and the wife a pair of Salomons.

Both excellent and no breaking in. Would recommend both brands.

You’ll hear it 20 times on this thread, but try them on. Go Outdoors doesn’t get any niche points, but has plenty of choice and pretty cheap.

I’m not sure there are any makes that I’d specifically avoid, but I may be wrong. Always worth a quick online review double check before you pull the trigger in the store.

martin_t
    Free Member

Army surplus Altberg defenders. Waterproof, light, breathable, very comfortable and not too military looking. You should be able to pick up an as-new pair for less than £50.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Lowa GTX Mountain boots that have been superb. They were comfortable out of the box, very waterproof, very suportive, very grippy. I’ve done a few hundred miles in them without a whimper, from me or the boot.

They aren’t a technical walking boot though, just a great pair of boots for anything outdoors.

somouk
    Free Member

I wear issue Altberg Warrior 2s for all sorts including walking in the hills and they’re excellent.

So were the Lowa combat GTX I had before.

The advantage of the Altbergs is you could pop to the factory shop and have them properly fitted.

chorlton
    Free Member

Hi Tec aren’t bad for the money. Had a couple of pairs over the years and have served me well.

Been wearing a pair of these Oboz Yellowstone for the past 6 months and have been superb so far. So comfy I don’t want to take them off when I get home but as others have said, it might be best to try some on first considering how much they can cost. Never felt the need myself but of course yfmv.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Another shout for Lowa combat GTX. Also had a lot of success with the Lowa Renegade if you fancy something more mid-top and less military.

Slightly OT: Currently using some North Face Litewave GTX shoes, they are surprisingly supportive underfoot for what look like trainers. Roomy toe-box, soles shed mud quickly. Waterproof, yet not too hot and still fresh after two months of daily wear. Very pleased, even moreso as they were given to me new, so would probably not have discovered otherwise (being a brand normally off my radar)

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

My brother in law put me on to the Lowa Combat GTX and Mountain GTX, he’s a Fusilier and doesn’t wear his issue stuff in favour of these.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Recently replaced my Brasher Supalites which wore out after 2 years (never liked them much anyway otherwise I’d have them re-soled) with some Scarpa Terra GTX, just much better (to me) than the Brashers, comfortabilish out of the box but after a couple of walks perfect. Trail walking rather than hill boots though.

jezzep

Grisport are really good. Good price and they last really well.
    I prefer them to my Zamberlan boots…

JeZ

hammyuk
    Free Member

As others have said – try them on and go from there.
    I have Salomon shaped feet and wear them almost exclusively other than some 5.10’s
    The Quest 4D GTX have been brilliant – on my third pair now. The only time they’ve leaked is when I punctured one of the boots wearing them for work.
    Certain “special” units get them issued now – so if you’re in Poole or the Boathouse keep an eye out for what they’re wearing 😆
    Also have a pair of the issue Lowa’s from many moons ago still going strong – they are very small in the heel box which suits me fine but a lot of guys have real problems with them because of it.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Meindl Vakuum, very comfy, supportive, protected from rocks across the toe by an elevated rubbery bit, waterproof, nice. Try them all on, Scarpa felt very strange to my feet, but seem popular. One that i did try out in an independent shop was made by an english company whose name eludes me right now, they had a funky old school ‘rocking’ sole based on an old shepherding shoe, i didn’t like it, but it felt well made and walking hasn’t changed much since shepherds roamed the earth.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/meindl-mens-vakuum-gtx-boots-p106690?gclid=CMXrrpnajckCFYU_Gwodi40CSw&gclsrc=aw.ds

BadlyWiredDog

lemonysam beat me to it, although I seem to fit most brands so not sure if it’s as critical as people make out.

I’m the same, but I what take from it is that I’m fortunate enough to have a fairly average-shaped foot that fits a good few brands reasonably. I suspect if you have less average-shaped feet, it’s more of an issue.

+1 for going to a good boot shop and trying different brands to see what fits best. I like Asolo, Hanwag and Salomon, but everyone’s different. The best made boot in the world is useless to you if it doesn’t suit your foot shape.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

fit is a given, but depends on your budget and intended usage – is it for light bimble round some country parks at a weekend or are you going to heaving yourself up some munro’s?

fwiw, i’m usually pretty good at destroying footwear and one of the few boot brands i’ve found that live up to the abuse and lack of care my boots suffer from is Meindl. not cheap min, however go outdoors usually have a good range and they will price match off the internet

Scapegoat

I’ve owned a pair of Meindl Burma Pro for the last decade or so. Very comfy, supportive, Goretex lined which has only just now given in ( although the mileage isn’t very high due to my hip issues….) Meindl do varying types of boot, and grade them in stiffness levels for various activities, so go browse their website. Bit pricy, but hey, ……..Available in half sizes and different width lasts. From Full rand, crampon compatible, down to lightweight flexi multi panel stuff. I’m in the process of seeking out another pair for Chrimble

yosemitepaul

Altberg, Altberg, Altberg………………Made in GB!

matt_outandabout

Altberg, Altberg, Altberg………………Made in GB!

Do they fit?

+1 on fit – having endured a couple of years in iffy fit Karrimor/Garmont boots and even worse agony in winter plastic boots.

I have marginally narrow feet, so Salomon, Adidas and Asolo feel great, but I also have a pair of three season leather Raichle boots, that despite being stiff soled are like slippers to wear, are waterproof after 7 years and a re-sole of hard service…

rone

Meindl make fantastic boots and shoes. Big range.

Grisport a nice alternative too.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Alt berg are excellent boots, made in a number of width fittings – I have some Tethera’s. Designed in Richmond, North Yorkshire, all their hiking boots are made in Italy, these days.
    At the end of the day, though, the best boots are the one’s that fit you – as already said.

nt80085

Altberg here too. Tried Berghaus and Scarpa, but the different width fittings of Altberg make for a perfect fit. Don’t be put off by non goretex lining, they are just as waterproof.

slowoldman

Mud and winter you say? I say leather. Scarpa fit me but as Cougar says try loads on to find the ones that fit you.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Reminds me MOAT – just dug out a pair of twin boot Asolo’s that were bought for a season of ice climbing in Benasque and I’ve not used since. Lovely soled slipper inside for the mountain hut and a solid leather outer with brass pulleys on the eyelets!
    Classifieds here I come 🙂

footflaps

I’ve just given away the most comfortable boots I’ve ever used. They were Pink 1993 Scarpa Vega plastic mountaineering boots. The inner boot moved inside the plastic shell rather than against your foot, so I never had a single blister in them, they were also 100% waterproof being solid plastic, although they didn’t breath, the inner boot just absorbed all the sweat and had to be dried out each night. I spent many winters teaching mountaineering in the Cairngorms wearing them. The student who took them was younger than the boots themselves, which made me smile!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got some Lowa’s, don’t know what ‘model’ they are but theyr’e bloody comfy.
    Says ‘Made in Germany’ on the tongue.

Edric64
    Free Member

Altberg ,best part of 200 quid but waterproof and fit like slippers

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Another vote for Salomon Quest 4Ds here, although as noted that’s no good to you if they don’t fit you. MrsSalmon didn’t get on with the ladies version at all.
    On waterproofness, breathability and durabilty, anything with a Gore-tex lining in it is going to be basically the same. Of course there’ll be plenty of people swearing never to touch anything from <insert brand here> after failures, same as everything else. Flexing will eventually do for the liner and then that’s them done, obviously how long that takes depends on how much you use them!
    Personally I wouldn’t go back to full-on leather boots now after being a long-term Scarpa Manta* holdout, and I just accept that lighter, more comfy stuff isn’t going to last as well. That said I’ve not tried any newer ones.

*Older ones, Mantas had become proper winter boots last time I looked.

spacemonkey

+1 Meindl Burma Pro

An excellent 3 season boot. Have owned mine for 3 yrs now and they’re still like new. I use the Meindl cleaning kit as I’m keen to maintain this longevity.

They are quite heavy though. This is offset by the fact they turn you into a human tank – you really do feel you can walk through/over anything.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve owned a pair of Meindl Burma Pro for the last decade or so.

Ditto. I bought them to go trekking in the Himalayas in 2005, and they’ve also seen action all round the UK, the Alps, New Zealand, Patagonia and the High Andes. They’ve been absolutely faultless at all times.

13thfloormonk

They are quite heavy though. This is offset by the fact they turn you into a human tank – you really do feel you can walk through/over anything.

Ha, I know this feeling now, I was never massively squeemish about wet feet but with my old boots there would be a hell of a lot of mincing about trying to avoid the worst of the bogginess, but with the Altbergs (and some new knee high Berghaus gaiters) there’s no stopping, just march on through 😀

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Walking boot recommendation?’ is closed to new replies.