Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • walkers..whats best walking boot or walking shoe?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

so shoe or boot.whats better and why?

odannyboy
    Free Member

oh and any recommended brands?

headfirst
    Free Member

Boots, support your ankles from going over on dodgy surfaces. And I’m a sports direct convert. Got some lightweight eVent fabric karrimor boots for £40 from there last summer and they’ve done me proud through the monsoon season we’ve had ever since! Warm dry comfortable feet.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

The ones that fit your feet best. Next. 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

What’s best for cycling, road bikes or mountain bikes?

Gorehound
    Free Member

I would go boots, and none of those goretex jobbies. Brasher hillmaster GTX are bloody good for the money, not the cheapest out there at £120 a pair but if you look after them and keep them well G waxed they will last for years.

vorlich
    Free Member

Trail shoes are better unless you’re doing alpine or full on winter walking. Look at Inov8 and Salomon. Avoid Goretex, once they get wet they take ages to dry out. Embrace getting wet feet with a quick draining shoe with mesh upper. It’s not as bad as it sounds. Spend on decent socks and you’ll be fine.

mrmo
    Free Member

got some Scarpa M5s (i think) but they are heavy and unless conditions are bad i just use a set of La Sportiva Wildcats. I have used lighter leather boots but they are never light.

Boots do protect your ankles, but for most people do you need that support. The extra weight is fatiguing in itself.

Suggsey
    Free Member

If you have weak ankles boots- Lowa Mountain boots for me. I find Karrimor to narrow in the footbed but agree they are good value ofr money option. My other farvorite boots that I own and wear are Oakley Tactical in desert colourway as they were cheaper. Feel like trainers but light and supportive with good flexible grippy sole.(Got them from M&M).

13thfloormonk

none of those goretex jobbies. Brasher hillmaster GTX

Wonder what the GTX stands for… 😉

I’d second the recommendation though, my Brashers have done me proud although are starting to show their age.

Vorlich, I’ve always tried to keep my feet dry as I thought wet feet meant automatic blisters, am I just being a pansy?

neninja
    Free Member

For easy walks I find Salomon xa pro trail running shoes really comfy. For rockier stuff have an old pair of Berghaus boots still going strong after 15+ years and a newer pair of Keen boots (a little known UK brand).

fatalbert
    Free Member

Iam very much into my hill walking and for the last 8 years a pair of karrimor KSBs have served me very well ie about 8 years. I have infact last week bought another pair of KSB’s only because I have worn down the soles on my original pair.

vorlich
    Free Member

I’ve never had blister problems. Free draining uppers like Salomon XA pros have and decent socks will be fine. On hot days, there is nothing like dunking your feet in a Lochan or burn to cool off. 🙂

I can’t overemphasise how important good socks are.

13thfloormonk

What makes a good sock? I have some fairly posh (read: expensive…) Bridgedales with well padded soles but relatively light mesh uppers, and apparently bamboo thread throughout. I do know I’ve not blistered and they don’t smell but beyond that I couldn’t say if they were good or not.

vorlich
    Free Member

Yeah, Bridgedales, Smartwool, that sort of thing

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Got some great Finisterre socks a while ago, stupendously expensive, but they were on a 3 for 2.

Cougar

STW, earlier today.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/need-help-with-walking-boots-i-have-no-idea

What makes a good sock?

Just wear two pairs. Hey, no blisters! Ideally you want something wicking next to your skin for longer walks though.

Got some great Finisterre socks a while ago, stupendously expensive, but they were on a 3 for 2.

WTF are you going to do with three socks? Audition for the Red Hot Chilli Peppers?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

recently the thought has been more and more that actually you need a good heel cup for the support – the actual high uppers is less important.

I do wear boots tho – but nice light textile ones

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    WTF are you going to do with three socks? Audition for the Red Hot Chilli Peppers?

Sleeping bag for my ferret

bigbloke
    Free Member

Boots for the support and general fit. I have used since 1999 (2 pairs) Berghaus Explorer Gtx boots, they are suede n textile but goretex lined. I spray the outers with a water repellant and wear Bridgedale socks always comfortable, never been wet , clean up easily, comfortable from the box and are always on special offer somewhere on the net.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so shoe or boot.whats better and why?

For what????

This tread is useless without some detail!!

For walking round the park or on nice made trial then probably some shoe/trainer ones.

For walking where it’s wet and boggy something with a good amount of water proofing/seal sewn in tounges etc

For something else something different!!

Like asking what bike or what tyres it’s an entirely meaningless question unless you say what your going to be doing with it. All you have done is conducted a survey of what people own.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

These…..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘walkers..whats best walking boot or walking shoe?’ is closed to new replies.