Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Walkabout – the book rather than the film
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Does anyone else remember reading this and/or have any of you selected it to read to your kids – if so what did you think?

I remember reading this when I was maybe 14 or so and from memory thought it was excellent.

I’ve just started reading it to my eight year old son and while he is absolutely loving it, I had forgotten that it deals with some pretty challenging subjects.

I find myself censoring some of the language, for example, the frequent use of the word ‘darkie’.

Last night we dealt with the part where the 13 year old girl, who is so repulsed by the Aborigonial boy’s nakedness, removes her ‘lace edged panties’ (boy did that sentence cause me to pause) and give them to the boy to wear, which he does 😯

The themese of racial prejudice however are far more challenging and while it provides an excellent opportunity to introduce very important issues to my son, it’s proving hard going. And yet he loves the story; stopping reading it now would seem particularly harsh.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I reread some of the early Bond books last year plus some Alistair Maclean.
    Very different times 😯

geetee1972
    Free Member

So true. I read Seallows and Amazons and found some of the colonial references a little uncomfortable.

jkomo

I only ever saw the film, great camera work, some incredible shots of the bush.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sniggers.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I only ever saw the film, great camera work, some incredible shots of the bush.

LOL! If you like that then you must have seen American Werewolf in London or Logan’s Run!

geetee1972
    Free Member

I never knew:

The film also includes scenes of nudity featuring Jenny Agutter, who the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) surmised was 17 years old at the time of filming. The scenes did not pose a problem when submitted to the BBFC in 1971 and later in 1998; since the Protection of Children Act 1978 permitted the distribution and possession of indecent images of people over the age of 16 the issue of potential indecency had not been considered on previous occasions. However, the Sexual Offences Act 2003 raised the age threshold to 18 which meant the BBFC was required to consider the scenes of nudity in the context of the new law when the film was re-submitted in 2011. The BBFC reviewed the scenes and deemed them not to be “indecent” and passed the film uncut. Had this not been the case, the film would have been refused classification and it would have effectively made it illegal to distribute copies of the film

johndoh
    Free Member

Ahh Jenny. Mind drifts off to a wonderful place…

avdave2

I read it many years ago, in fact I think I’ve read it twice. If all my books weren’t stored in boxes right now I’d go and find it and just take another little look at Jenny on the cover!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Walkabout – the book rather than the film’ is closed to new replies.