Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Wales weekend
  • tom199
    Free Member

So having got the necessary green cards, myself and a mate plan to make the trip from Southampton up to Wales for a weekend at the beginning of September.

Never ridden in Wales before so looking at trying a couple of places, one on each day. So recommend me some decent riding within reasonable distance of each other plus any b&bs and pubs to looks out for nearby?

stevied
    Free Member

There’s a group of use off up there this weekend. We’re staying @ the Vagabond in Betws-y-coed. Here’s our rough itinerary:
    Friday: Drive up/ride Penmachno and Marin @ Betws
    Saturday: Coed-y-Brenin (45 mins away)
    Sunday: Uplift @ Antur Stiniog
    Monday: Llandegla on the way home

creamegg
    Free Member

Uplift, dh, xc, natural?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

As @creamegg says depends what you are looking for.

My suggestion would be;

South Wales – much closer and easier to get to from Southampton than North/Central

Mix natural and trail center so that you have a feel for both
    Obvious combination would be Afan and a Brecons route (eg Gap as it’s a classic, some like it some think “it’s not what it used to be”) or a loop to/from Crickhowell (email me and I’ll share one with you which another STWer sent me)

You can stay at Afan, there is a lodge there

There are many options and arguably better trail centres, eg the new Bike Park Wales may be open by then.

tom199
    Free Member

Ok some good suggestions there. So we are looking to leave work early on the Friday to drive up, stay over and be able to start riding nice and early on the Saturday. Then head back home on the Sunday evening so was thinking a different place for each day could be the way to go.

I was thinking a trail centre one day and then maybe some longer more natural singletrack riding the next day. We mostly ride singletrack, trail centres and xc loops up to about 30 odd miles so something along those lines would be good.

ceb9
    Free Member

A few of us went from the Midlands a few months ago, did Penmachno on the Friday, Coed-y-Brennin on the Saturday and Llandegla on the Sunday

Stayed at http://www.bala-backpackers.co.uk in Bala which is pretty central to all three

tom199
    Free Member

Our original plan was to visit Bike Park Wales but unfortunately the uplifts are now fully booked for that weekend. 6,7,8th September is our dates.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@tom199 – you can ride up you know ! No uplifts is the norm. Going Friday night is a good plan, make Saturday the “big day” with a shorter ride Sunday perhaps so you’re not too tired for the drive back.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Brechfa red and Cwm rhaeadr one day and Nant yr Arian and maybe climachx the next..

superfli
    Free Member

If you’ve not been before, I would do Afan Sat and CwmCarn Sunday on way home. Cwmcarn on has 1 XC trail atm, but should keep you entertained for the morning.
    Stay at Afan Lodge (heard its good, but not stayed there), or Green Lanterns (Used to be good, was when I stayed, but heard its not so good now – cheap).

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I’ve ridden most of the trail centres in Wales.

I’d suggest either sticking to the South or North only – the roads through the middle of Wales are slow going.

If staying South I’d probably go for Afan (W2 trail), BPW and Cwmcarn (2 x Twrch trail).

Cwmcarn would be on the way back to Soton, the other two aren’t that far apart.

You could also head over to Brechfa which is worth the trip (though in my opinion best when it has been dry).

Best to get Brechfa one done on the 1st or 2nd day as the drive back to Soton from there would be a long one.

If you were going for North, then Penmachno/Marin can be done in a day (10 minutes drive to get from one to the other), a day at CYB (avoid the Tarw trail – it’s not good – go for the Beast/MBR/Dragons back instead) then Llandegla on the way out.

Staying somewhere near CYB or Betws-y-coed would be good if you went for N Wales.

scandal42
    Free Member

Me and a mate have got a free pass next weekend and were looking at the Syfydrin trail. We wanted a good mix of flowing singletrack and ‘out there’ xc riding. Also wanted it to be a good day in the saddle.

Would be a weekend so is there anywhere else around that area to fill the time and get the most out of the riding?

Not hijacking, just thought it may be of interest to both of us 😀

superfli
    Free Member

Machynlleth is just North of Nant yr Arian (climachX, Mach1,2,3). Also further north is CyB.

joat

Slight curveball, but have you thought about Forest of Dean?

tom199
    Free Member

I’m swaying more towards the South, no point driving further than necessary.
    I like the look of the Twrch trail at Cwmcarn, could do that on the Sunday then head home. So That lives the longer ride on the Saturday, Afan or Fod? Both are about an hour away from Cwmcarn going by google maps.

Afan website says W2 includes ‘two of the most demanding descents in the UK’ is that really the case or a bit of an exaggeration?

core

You could try Forest of Dean on the Sunday maybe if you haven’t been?

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

The ‘two of the most demanding’ tag is a bit of of an exaggeration – how difficult it is really depends on how fast you go (it’s probably a bit of H & S making sure people are appropriately warned and/or selling the trail as challenging to draw in visitors).

You’ll be fine.

innit_gareth
    Free Member

cwm carn on the Friday night.

Afan on the Saturday.

BPW on the Sunday.

therag
    Free Member

For me it would be, 2 or 3 laps of bikepark Wales Saturday as there’s 6 trails to come down. Afan the wall or cwmcarn Sunday morning & a quick lap of Forest of Dean on the way home.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

How was Bike Park Wales then?

cubemeup
    Free Member

if your looking for natural trail, have a look on halfwayup mtb website and join in on a ride with them. they wont mind. plus its right next to cwmcarn and a short distance to BPW.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Wales weekend’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts