Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Wales or Peak Districtish?
  • mike88
    Free Member

So iv got from Saturday night through to wednesday off of work and would be travelling from Devon . I have a van, bikes and a Mrs! Where would you lot suggest a short break to?
    We would be riding, walking and maybe a little climbing….wev ridden at afan, brechfa etc so were thinking maybe a little further north in Wales.
    The peaks because the lakes are to far and iv never been so have no idea about anything there!!
    Any other suggestions welcome…
    Thanks

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hopefully someone will be along to inform about the weather in the Peak because they had snow earlier this week. The peak will be more readily accessible for a big ride where you’re not familiar with the area but north Wales has much greater scope for big mountain feel (as long as you stay away from the trail centres).

sambob
    Free Member

Can probably show you around the Dark Peak on Monday if you end up coming up this way. Mostly straight and rocky trails, weather forecast is alright for the Peak beginning of next week so I’d make the most of that!
    Weather: Sunken tracks may have a bit of snow left, but can’t see there being enough to impact on route choice at all.

mike88
    Free Member

Any recommendations of places to start in the peaks then?
    To start with i was thinking trail centres purely for ease of navigation but do enjoy loosing myself on Dartmoor! Are there any centres around the peaks?

sambob
    Free Member

No trail centres, there’s a couple of purpose built trails near Sheffield though (Parkwood Springs, Greno Woods and Wharncliffe). Pretty easy to navigate in the Peak District though, most trails are very obvious and match what’s on the map. Hope’s a good starting point, 18 Bikes will be able to give you some fairly up to date route advice.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

No trail centres in the Peak District, but Ladybower/Derwent Valley has a good selection of easily accessible and fun riding.
    EDIT Sam beat me to it

sambob
    Free Member

Bandit finished yet Dan?

Duane…
    Free Member

Pardon ignorance, but would I be right in saying that a lot (most?) of the riding in the Peaks is fairly wide, straightish, rocky trails (mini fireroads), rather than singletrack?

sambob
    Free Member

Most is more technical than “mini fireroads” but you do have a point. Fast rather than massively technical, different rather than better/worse than North Wales.

mike88
    Free Member

Would these fire road esque trails get us into pretty wild places?! I shall have a look on a map i think and see what looks intending…anyone got any routes they could send me that doesn’t require a gps to read it!
    The Mrs is pretty stuck on mid to north Wales…she loves the trail centres. To be fair Thats where most of our riding has been so i woulont complain.

Pook

Pardon ignorance, but would I be right in saying that a lot (most?) of the riding in the Peaks is fairly wide, straightish, rocky trails (mini fireroads), rather than singletrack?

No ;o)

I’d take Sambob’s offer of a tour up though. Just don’t let him nick your jelly babies.

gsp1984
    Free Member

Ha, peak = fire roads. I’ve not heard that one before.

Someone should show these guys starting at ladybower, climb up ‘horrific hagside, down screaming mile then across cutgate and back 😉

Could nip down hagg farm and up and down the beast before heading to cutgate, to show some of the trickier descents.

Pook

Ah, the blue route? ;o)

gsp1984
    Free Member

Your video actually shows some nice cutgate singletrack

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

There’s plenty of singletrack if you know where to look and the doubletrack are mostly old packhorse trails and pretty technical nothing like fireroads ,your best bet is to buy a the dark/white peak trail guide book for about £15

Pook

another vid of that same ride….

[video]http://vimeo.com/37484791[/video]

Duane…
    Free Member

Haha my bad, when I likened them to mini-fireroads, I was talking more about the width/relative straightness, double track I guess, rather than how rough/technical they were.

Rocky mini-fireroads then 😛

Pook

go to wales. We don’t want your sort round here 😈

mike88
    Free Member

Peak district it is!
    Been to Go Outdoors and bought a map and dark peak Mtb guide book. Were going to head for castleton/ hope and find something to do. The ladybower loop looks quite classic. Any other suggestions?
    Also places to get a shower..Wel be sleeping in the van but would idealy like a shower. Campsites?

Im keen!! 😀 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member

I am pretty sure there are showers at the Ladybower Reservoir car park and that’s as good a place as any to start from.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Wales or Peak Districtish?’ is closed to new replies.