Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 198 total)
  • Wales in lockdown for 2 weeks again
  • Premier Icon molgrips

Not much traffic around Newport this morning but the car park at Tredegar House was half full and the road on the Duffryn side was rammed as usual with those too tight to pay a quid to park so some people obviously can’t follow the very simple “don’t drive to exercise” rule.

Yeah compliance seems a lot lower this time.

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

@superdez the Regs don’t say what goods or services a business has to offer in order to fall within one of the types of business listed in Schedule 1 Part 1 either. It prohibits (or allows) the opening to the public of premises at which different types of business are carried on. What goods or services on offer cause a business to fall into one of those listed types requires an interpretation of ordinary everyday words such as “pharmacy” or “bicycle shop”. If goods outside the scope of any business listed in Part 3 are offered alongside goods within one, then that will amount to carrying on a different (non-Part 3) business. S. 16 makes it clear that unless that activity ceases there will be non-compliance with (eg) s. 11(1) notwithstanding the opening to the public of premises carrying on a permitted business that is permitted under s. 16.

So a bicycle shop can sell the type of clothing normally sold in bicycle shops but not incontinence underwear, a pharmacy can (I guess) sell incontinence underwear but not cycle shorts. Who would have thought there was such nuance in padded underwear? You can probably have yer chamois cream both ways (oo er missus).

Premier Icon superdez75
    Free Member

greyspoke Regulation 16 applies to a business which has other business operating within the same retail space for example a mobile phone shop in a supermarket, a gym attached to a cycling shop or an Argos outlet in a Sainsbury’s, supermarkets are one business and are, as per schedule 1 part 3 allowed to open. The regulations are specific in that they refer to businesses not goods, if as is normal for supermarkets to sell goods other than groceries then they can continue to sell those products because they form part of the same business, they are not business A and business B. The WAG has used the explicit term ‘essential goods’ there is no reference at all to what goods can or can’t be sold in the regulations only what type of businesses can operate during the lockdown period.

If citing your example of a cycling shop it was normal to sell ladies underwear they could continue to do so because it is the same business and the regulations with regard to mixed business would not apply, if however it was normal for cycling shops to operate a separate business within the same premises that sold ladies underwear then I would agree that that business could not operate under the regulations.

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

@superdez you assert “supermarkets are one business”. The word “business” has to be construed in accordance with the way the law goes about it, which is to say, in context and bearing in mind the overall objectives of the piece of legislation in question and its intended effect. The wording of s. 16 clearly allows for a single legal person to operate several “businesses” from a single premises. (This is also a common way the word is used, for example business commentators note most years how Marks and Spencer’s food business is doing better than its fashion business.) So that leaves us with the problem of interpreting how any operations should be split up into separate “businesses” for the purpose of applying the Regulation. The Schedules help here as they list things that are considered “businesses”. In Sch. 1 Part 3 “food retailers” are listed as a business and in Part 1 “homeware stores” are also listed as one. “supermarkets” are only mentioned as an example of a food retailer, not as a separate category of permitted business. To interpret a “supermaket” as a separate permitted category would be perverse and contrary to the obvious intent of the legislation. You can of course run the argument, but in my view you would not succeed.

Premier Icon P-Jay

Less traffic this morning, but that could easily be just because it’s half-term.

Despite being told I’d have the office to myself today as the appointed on-site guy, two of my colleagues have shown up, and one of the guys who sublets a bit of our office is in too. We’ve all got private offices so it’s no biggie covid wise, they couldn’t face WFH with the kids home.

I’ve been trying to put in our ERF grant since 08:30 this morning, I don’t even know if they’re taking applications yet, their website can confirm we’re eligible, but not how to apply.

Rode the woods around Castle Coch at the weekend, I almost never go there outside of summer, it’s usually a horrible muddy bog… this weekend was no exception, I can’t stand conditions like that.. I gave up after a couple of hours and headed home, non-stop rain forecast all week, this is going to be a long slog till Spring.

Premier Icon benjamins11
    Free Member

Genuine question. If we walk to the beach (which we can from our house) are we allowed to go for a swim at the moment? I have an 8yr old desperate to try out his new wetsuit! I don’t think it contravenes rule 1.

Premier Icon gnusmas

@benjamins11 personally, I would think that’s fine. No driving and daily exercise are the rules laid out which fits what you say.
    I’ve found out our multi storey in Carmarthen is closed so will be utilising that again for bike riding with the kids. It’s a 5 min walk from where we live so no driving required here either. They loved it last time.

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

P-Jay – yes we went out for a stroll round Roath Park this morning, traffic down from recently but not as low as during the initial lockdown. Less of the COVID dance going on with other pedestrians as well, but that probably does fit in with what we now know about transmission.

To me, some of the descents in Castell Coch/ the Ganol are a hoot in the wet, but I would agree some of the off-road climbs that aren’t fire-road are to be avoided.

Premier Icon benjamins11
    Free Member

@gnusmas That was my feeling, it’s not entirely clear though.

Premier Icon P-Jay

To me, some of the descents in Castell Coch/ the Ganol are a hoot in the wet, but I would agree some of the off-road climbs that aren’t fire-road are to be avoided.

Can’t stand any of them in the wet.

I got to the top of the Ganol to a descent I love in the dry, got about 100m, trying to pedal like mad to keep half the speed I’d be rolling at in the dry and failing, and just couldn’t be bothered anymore, I wasn’t nervous of sliding out of being taken out by a root sniper, I just couldn’t be bothered with it, and the idea of riding just made me miserable. Enjoyed a tirade from a over-entitled Horse Rider about how I’d personally cause an accident one day for doing something or other. Tried the Fawr side and it was if anything worse, at least the people in the woods were nicer.

One surprising upside of the new regs is the removal of the county borders. I think I’m going to try that Mountain View Bikepark next weekend in search of some hardpack, failing that I think I’ll just continually slam my nuts in my freezer door for a few hours every weekend until either Spring arrives or I can legally drive to Afan or whatever.

Premier Icon Twodogs

Genuine question. If we walk to the beach (which we can from our house) are we allowed to go for a swim at the moment? I have an 8yr old desperate to try out his new wetsuit! I don’t think it contravenes rule 1.

while swimming in the sea isn’t illegal, you’re asked not to – from Gov.Wales site:

As one of the purposes of the restrictions is to reduce pressure on the Welsh NHS, we also ask people to avoid activities that involve a significant degree of risk (for example swimming or other exercise at sea, or in lakes, rivers or other waterways).

Premier Icon molgrips

Rode the woods around Castle Coch at the weekend, I almost never go there outside of summer, it’s usually a horrible muddy bog

I find it holds up quite well. Not the new stuff, but I go up the rocky road from the gate, then to the back car park, along the fence line, right down the rocky gulley, up the long gravelly Taff Trail one above Taff’s Well, then from there you have a few choices, you can go all the way down the main fire-road and cut down on that trail that comes out by the tea room or there’s another less muddy singlerack one that used to have some zig zags built into it.

It sounds like you need some new trails – drop me a line after the lockdown, if you like – I can show you around some of the more weatherproof places I go when it’s muddy.

I think I’m going to try that Mountain View Bikepark next weekend in search of some hardpack

Is it open?

Premier Icon chrispo
    Free Member

Here in Ceredigion we managed to welcome the usual hoards of disease-ridden holidaymakers all summer long without any spread of Covid. So the rationale for a circuit break here is…?

Premier Icon Mintyjim

Ceredigion here too. Loads of walkers about that I don’t recognise – the filthy swine – but not many cars, wonderful!
    Bit gutted I can’t (shouldn’t) drive to Brechfa/Nant Yr arian, but what’s 17 days in a lifetime!?

Premier Icon P-Jay

Is it open?

Sadly not.

Premier Icon P-Jay

Bit gutted I can’t (shouldn’t) drive to Brechfa/Nant Yr arian, but what’s 17 days in a lifetime!?

I’d agree if it wasn’t for the slightly worrying tag line of “new regulations” post firebreak, I like Drakeford, but he’s still a Politician, there’s nothing stopping him imposing new regulations on the 9th that are remarkably close to what we have now.

Premier Icon Twodogs

Bit gutted I can’t (shouldn’t) drive to Brechfa/Nant Yr arian, but what’s 17 days in a lifetime

Brechfa’s closed…has been since before original lockdown

Premier Icon wiggles
    Free Member

Off work for 2 weeks kids at home this week, went out for a ride on the bikes from home today. Bike/footpath were very busy with people walking and riding, but weather forecast better for today than rest of the week so everyone had the same idea probably, most will have been straight from their houses on the route we took but there was still a few cars parked in the usual spot.

I don’t even understand why most people I see drive to that spot live within a mile of it yet drive there to walk their dog…

Premier Icon molgrips

So the rationale for a circuit break here is

Whilst you have low numbers, you want to keep low numbers. You also have fewer facilities remember.

And if your facilities aren’t overwhelmed, you might need to take patients from places that are.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

Was up round Castell Coch and a few other places playing in the mud today, enjoyed it apart from when I forgot I still have a heavily worn Aggressor on the rear at one point and did a lovely 180 while sliding backwards into a bush! New tyres need to be fitted before the next ride.

Still loads of people driving to the car parks in the woods, usually with a dog and meeting others there. Van Road was very busy with kids on the dirt jumps, probably 30 or so with no social distancing to be seen. Doesn’t feel like a lockdown at all if I’m honest.

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

Given the number of people visible surfing in the webcams, the ‘we would rather you didn’t do water sports’ is being ignored this time. Personally I don’t understand why WG single out water sports, statistically much less risky than many other sports and this time of year the lifeguard excuse doesn’t really work as post half term there wouldn’t be any normally. Agree with the above poster, I do not believe for a second this will be just for two weeks, they are already suggesting it will be more in full lockdown.
    Plenty of people driving by me.

Premier Icon molgrips

Personally I don’t understand why WG single out water sports

They haven’t. They didn’t say ‘don’t do water sports’ they said ‘don’t do anything risky’.

Premier Icon andrewreay

Personally I don’t understand why WG single out water sports, statistically much less risky than many other sports

+1

Premier Icon cloudnine

Brechfa’s closed…has been since before original lockdown

I thought Abergorlech trail was open?

Premier Icon Twodogs

It wasn’t last time I checked the website

Premier Icon Twodogs

Given the number of people visible surfing in the webcams, the ‘we would rather you didn’t do water sports’ is being ignored this time

Yes I agree…also ignoring the “you must not drive to exercise” rule

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

@molgrips – but why single that out rather than something riskier such as climbing, off-road cycling, horse-riding etc? It just seems strange to single out a relatively safe minority branch of sports

Premier Icon molgrips

Because it was the first thing that came into the copy writers head? Because it’s a major cause of callouts? Doesn’t seem like a big deal to me, when you focus on the actual message which is “keep risk to a minimum”. Or ‘No Gnar’ if you like.

Premier Icon finephilly
    Free Member

In the minority here, I actually think the full lockdown is a good idea. It can kill off a lot of infected areas and if strictly observed, has the potential to drastically reduce transmission.
    Remember, after a few days, the virus will have decayed on most surfaces. What we need to do is then follow that up with targeted elimination of known cases. It goes without saying, there can be NO movement in or out at all.

See New Zealand for more details.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

I’m all for the short lockdown, it could buy us enough headroom in hospitals to allow us to have some semblance of a christmas. The big issue as I see it is the majority seem to be ignoring a lot of the rules. There’s 3 families with their kids in one of the gardens near me right now, seen plenty of people driving across Cardiff to go walk in the woods despite every area of Cardiff having a decent park and plenty of groups who have obviously arranged to meet.

Abergorlech car park is and 3/4 of the Gorlech trail is available according to the Ranger’s facebook. It does say it’s for local use only as travelling to the car park is forbidden. Seems busy going by Strava though.

Premier Icon dove1

WG haven’t ‘singled out’ water sports. They have just used it as an example of an activity that involves a significant degree of risk.

I agree with @finephilly. The lockdown is about reducing transmission and avoiding overloading the NHS. However, there are still so many covidiots out there that I worry it will have only a marginal effect.

Premier Icon Twodogs

Personally I don’t understand why WG single out water sports, statistically much less risky than many other sports

Tell that to the surfer who was helicoptered off Langland beach yesterday with neck injury

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

Yes that was unlucky (experienced local surfer) and from the aspect of lockdown bad timing, but it was a freak accident and statistically surfing is very safe. Personally I’ve needed medical attention once in 30 years of surfing compared to several from cycling for example.

@molgrips @dove1 the point is they have singled it out. I live walking distance from the beach but won’t surf because you get vigilantees shouting at you or putting it on community Facebook pages. I didn’t surf last lockdown and am unlikely too this time, but it is frustrating given the benefit it has to my well-being.

I’m happy we are having this lockdown but as above, it’s useless unless we shut our borders until the second wave has passed next spring

Premier Icon P-Jay

Some details emerging from WAG today about the new, new normal post Firebreak.

Shops and Gyms will reopen, as will places of Worship. Perhaps slightly cryptically Bars and Restaurants “will serve customers”, I’m sure they mean “open”, but I suppose that gives them some scope to say they can offer take away services, which will probably kill them off in their dozens a week.

Half-term will have passed, so I’m hoping they’ll allow inter-county travel again.

Premier Icon Twodogs

I live walking distance from the beach but won’t surf

same. didn’t last time, won’t this time, tho I do feel I’m in a minority this time

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

I heard from a mate that there was well over 30 people out today at a certain sheltered right that everyone would have had to drive too…. including people who had taken holiday to surf. No pretence to hide it either as I see plenty of photos on social media.

If it was sunny, light northerlies and a long period sw swell I might think differently but I can pass up crowded windy dross quite happily…

Premier Icon Twodogs

I have to say I’m starting to question whether I’m going to stick to the “no driving to exercise” rule, looking at the windsurfing forecast for the weekend – no-one else seems to be 🙁

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

No, and it’s not like you can just say it’s only irresponsible young surfers breaking rules. I had to do some essential travel this morning and drove by a few car-parks on the way back.
    Plenty of cars in all of them with people getting kitted out for a blustery walk.

Premier Icon chakaping

Disregarding the social media forthing about busy car parks, I severely doubt driving to exercise would have any measureable impact on the spread of the virus.

Only thing is, if that’s the only thing people are allowed to do – then EVERYONE does it at the same time and there’s traffic gridlock at all the beauty spots.

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

@chakaping – I completely agree. I do not for a second believe it makes any difference to transmission. Equally, given the weather, beauty spots aren’t going to get overcrowded. For both these reasons I think it’s a silly rule.. but it is the rule.

I don’t have an issue with people breaking it either (minor FOMO aside), just it’s quite interesting the stark difference from last lockdown in terms of compliance

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 198 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.