Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 198 total)
  • Wales in lockdown for 2 weeks again
  • Premier Icon crikey
    Free Member

Whinging kids.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

Nobody is to blame for your failure but you.

We are heading off on a tangent, but that is simply not true. It is a popular belief within the old and the right wing though. There are lots of reasons for success and failure, some are within your control, some are not.

Premier Icon flicker

Wow! some spectacular **** holery in here the last few hours.

Premier Icon martinhutch

Actually i’ve got a Zoom call tomorrow that could see me part of a Covid Vaccine trail

What vaccine to make the trails stay alive?

Premier Icon molgrips

The boomer generation has repeatedly benefitted from things and then repeatedly denied them to the following generations through their political choices.

Are you seriously suggesting that everyone between the ages of 55 and 75 is personally responsible for these things?

This kind of blame game is absolutely bloody stupid and also very damaging.

Do. Not. Generalise.

Premier Icon Gribs

Are you seriously suggesting that everyone between the ages of 55 and 75 is personally responsible for these things?

This kind of blame game is absolutely bloody stupid and also very damaging.

Of course not. Many in that generation also got screwed over by their peers but that doesn’t change the fact that the young are being asked to sacrifice their futures with what appears to be very little consideration. Much more could be done to help but yet again a political decision has been made to not help them which is hardly surprising given the age profile of Tory voters.

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

Apologies @Greyspoke – I think we were talking at cross-purposes: when I said it probably made no difference, I meant that in both cases people had to stay relitively local and so, in terms of transmission, hotspots sould not spread into less affected areas easily.

Interesting to note that even last week a lot of Wales was on a slight negative trend (‘on the rise’ button here:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/20/covid-cases-and-deaths-today-coronavirus-uk-map ) so hopefully this quick intervention will do some good and will allow less restrictive measures post lockdown

Premier Icon chakaping

You’d have to be VERY literal-minded to assume the poster was saying that.

Poor.

Premier Icon IdleJon

You’d have to be VERY literal-minded to assume the poster was saying that.

Surely the very definition of an STW argument is to be Very Literal Minded?

Premier Icon smiffy
    Free Member

What I can’t understand is why they don’t call it cheese on toast like everybody else.

We do, you’re thinking of an English term.

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy

Many in that generation also got screwed over by their peers but that doesn’t change the fact that the young are being asked to sacrifice their futures with what appears to be very little consideration

Everyone’s making sacrifices (apart from Dominic Cummings), sure some parts of lockdown measures hurt certain demographics more than others but are you saying a student losing a year of education is more impactful than a 50 year’s old business failing (without a decent pension as backup)? Not all business owners are yacht-owning multi-millionaires… My barber is shutting down his place next month as even though we’re no longer in lockdown it killed his business (and the continued lack of footfall from local office workers is the final nail in the coffin). He’s nearly 50 and hoping he can get into HGV driving as a way to support his family.

Premier Icon Gribs

The youngest Boomers would now be 56 and those most likely to be at risk from covid will be retired, many who retired in their 50’s with generous pensions. I believe the support should be going to the working age population (and people who will work in future) rather than retirees who tend to have fairly comfortable lives.

Premier Icon jonundercover

At least Cardiff airport is still open and everyone from England can drive there and go on hols !

Premier Icon project
    Free Member

Huge list of donts/cants on the wales.gov website going to be like a ghost country next 2 weeks, and talking to an ex police chief inspector today he said most is unenforceable, but a great time for the more officious officers, and lot of people are going to hate the police of theyre stopped.

Result the police cant win what ever they do.

Premier Icon gnusmas

Just coming home tonight with the kids at just gone 6 and the police were setting up on one of the roads into Carmarthen. Definitely wasn’t an accident, nothing or no one else anywhere near. 2 police cars both with lights flashing about 100yds apart. They were getting some signs out of their cars too, looked like it’s a stop check for people travelling.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

At least Cardiff airport is still open and everyone from England can drive there and go on hols !

Travelling into Wales for the purpose of a holiday is not allowed so no, they won’t be. As gnusmas has said above they are setting up checkpoints on key roads, there’s one on the main road to the airport at Culverhouse Cross that I know of and bound to be one on the eastern side of Cardiff too somewhere. It won’t catch everyone, probably very few in all honesty, but a few news reports and social media posts showing that they are out there and you do risk the chance of getting caught if you go out for non-essential reasons will deter some people who otherwise might go out. The more people who obey the restrictions the better the reduction in virus spread will be.

Premier Icon project
    Free Member

been reported on local media Gloucestershire police are staging road blocks asking drivers where they have come from, also all supermarkets are covering up or removing all non essential stuff,eg clothes electricals mobile phones,homewares and lots more, bike shops still allowed to stay open thankfully.

Premier Icon deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nobody is to blame for your failure but you.

Fortunately for you, you can just blame your mum and dad.

Premier Icon molgrips

rather than retirees who tend to have fairly comfortable lives.

Er yeah not all retirees are sitting on fat private pensions, you know.

Much more could be done to help but yet again a political decision has been made to not help them which is hardly surprising given the age profile of Tory voters.

It’s because we have a Tory government, and Tories are about small government and self reliance. So they don’t help. This is basic politics.

Result the police cant win what ever they do.

Nor can the WG. No lockdown = you have failed to control the pandemic; lockdown = you’re being unreasonable and killing the economy.

Premier Icon andrewreay

Do bike shops have to cover up non-essential items? 🙂

If they do, what’s non-essential and what should they be covering up?

Carbon bikes?
    FS bikes?
    TT Bars?
    Castelli bibs?

Give us your non-essential bike bits!

Premier Icon singletun
    Free Member

Common sense

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Free Member

also all supermarkets are covering up or removing all non essential stuff,eg clothes electricals mobile phones,homewares and lots more

Including stuff like duvets / microwaves / kettles etc. Officious, petty, and unhelpful.

If I needed a new kettle under lockdown I wouldn’t boil water in a pan for fortnight and then go to a local shop, I’d order it from Amazon.

Premier Icon fadda

So, is the pathology Prof in the video above talking sense? His arguments seem valid, so is it just a different opinion, or has he got things wrong?

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

If I needed a new kettle under lockdown I wouldn’t boil water in a pan for fortnight and then go to a local shop, I’d order it from Amazon.

It’s a fairness issue.
    Curry’s, Argos, Or whatever are closed. It would be unfair for the supermarkets to be able to sell you a kettle when these others can’t.
    Obviously everyone just goes online, but this is more of a problem for things like clothes.

Not defending the idea, just explaining it.
    Otherwise we’ll be back to March where people were whining about others buying ‘non essential’ foods thinking we should all be just eating pasta and vegetables; without giving any thought to where 65 million peoples worth of calories is going to come from.

Premier Icon scotroutes

people were whining about others buying ‘non essential’ foods

Seriously?

Premier Icon P-Jay

My Brother is a middle manager in Morrison’s.

As far has he knows they were informed about the non essential sales as 1pm yesterday, 5 hours before the legislation came into effect. The Supermarkets are PISSED OFF, they’ve got millions of pounds of Halloween, Guy Fawkes and other assorted seasonal crap on the shelves and store rooms of stores in Wales that they’re frantically trying to shift to stores in England.

I’m not usually bothered with ‘whataboutery’ but its all a bit stupid. My wife’s colleague has been taken to hospital with a wound, her husband is making a 3 hour around trip Home to get her clothes because he can’t buy any in the shop down the road. On the other side of town a Elderly lady who lives on microwaved meals delivered to her has had hers pack in at the worst possible time, but that’s okay because whilst you can’t buy a microwave in Sainsbury’s in Thornhill Cardiff, you can buy one from the Argos store located in the store… they’re exempt from closure because they’re located in a supermarket, but also exempt from a ban on non essential sales because they’re not a super market.

Also because it was dropped in their laps at the last moment, there’s no clear cut off on essential v non-essential so different shops are selling different things.

It was said the rules are the same as the previous lockdown so the shops should already have a list of what they can and cannot sell. Don’t fully understand why it’s proving so controversial and shops are struggling to get it right.

Premier Icon project
    Free Member

all argos stores in wales are closed even the ones in sainsburys supermarkets

https://www.argos.co.uk/features/service-disruptions?tag=ar:propbar:covid19

not sure about home bargains or B M stores or Wilkos who all sell similar stuff

Premier Icon P-Jay

all argos stores in wales are closed even the ones in sainsburys supermarkets

The one in Cardiff is open and staffed, I was there today.

Premier Icon P-Jay

It was said the rules are the same as the previous lockdown so the shops should already have a list of what they can and cannot sell. Don’t fully understand why it’s proving so controversial and shops are struggling to get it right.

AFAIK they were able to sell whatever they stocked back in Spring, we’ll once they got their heads around how to make the stores SD compliant etc. I certainly bought a shirt in Tesco in early April.

WAG Government have just announced they’re going to review it this weekend to ensure it’s a “common sense” approach.

Premier Icon project
    Free Member

From the argos website

Following guidelines, our stores in Wales will close from Friday 23 October at 6pm, until Monday 9 November. Argos stores within Sainsbury’s supermarkets are also closed, but pre-paid online orders can be collected as part of your essential food shop, or you can order online for home delivery.

Argos stores and Argos stores within Sainsbury’s supermarkets are still open across England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, where you can pay in-store. To keep your visit as short and safe as possible, we recommend you purchase your items online, for collection or home delivery.

Premier Icon SuperScale20
    Free Member

Argos doing exactly as previous lockdown order online collect in store.

Premier Icon Sandwich

I’d just not yet again help boomers to the detriment of the younger generations. They always seem to want the government/society to take care of them/their problems but don’t want to contribute.

The boomer generation has repeatedly benefitted from things and then repeatedly denied them to the following generations through their political choices.

As one of the last Boomers I reject those gross generalisations, many of us have seen how this disadvantages the younger generations and don’t agree with it at all. I will argue this with sufficient vigour that people have had a ‘fit of the vapours’ when on the receiving end.

Your experience may differ but we’re not an amorphous generic mass to be all lumped together (a courtesy I try to extend to everyone).

Anyone else been out and noticed how many people are driving to local beauty spots and meeting with their friends? Did my usual lockdown loop earlier (home to Tongwynlais, past Castell Coch, onto the ridgeway through the golf course then dropping down to Cefn Onn Park to home) and all the car parks were rammed with people meeting others and generally acting like nothing has changed. Another rider was talking to someone as I winched up the hill to Fforest Fawr car park and there had just been a heated discussion between a local walking their dog and two families parking up to go for a walk together. The roads are a lot busier than I was expecting too, even saw people trying to go into shops that were obviously closed!

If lots of people are ignoring the rules during this firebreak it will all have been pointless.

Premier Icon gnusmas

Haven’t ventured out at all yet but the roads where I am a few minutes outside of Carmarthen are pretty quiet. I’m trying to find out if the multi storey is closed again so I can take the kids cycling over there like we did last lockdown, it was brilliant.

Premier Icon molgrips

Just did a monster Cardiff circuit – no more than a few miles from the city at all times but managed to rack up a pretty tough 80km. Roads still had plenty of traffic. Maybe half as much as I’d expect on a normal wet Sunday afternoon.

Premier Icon dove1

Not much traffic around Newport this morning but the car park at Tredegar House was half full and the road on the Duffryn side was rammed as usual with those too tight to pay a quid to park so some people obviously can’t follow the very simple “don’t drive to exercise” rule.

Premier Icon superdez75
    Free Member

The Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (No. 3) (Wales) Regulations 2020 has no provisions that stops supermarkets from selling so called non essential items.

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

@superdez I think the bit on “mixed businesses” covers it.

Premier Icon superdez75
    Free Member

Greyspoke No it doesn’t that relates to a business that are listed in Parts 1&2 of Schedule 1 when they are within a business that is listed in Part 3. The regulations make no reference to what goods business that are listed in Part 3 are allowed the sell or not.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 198 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.