Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 198 total)
  • Wales in lockdown for 2 weeks again
  • Premier Icon reluctantjumper

I’ve re-read it all to make sure I’m understanding it right but there doesn’t seem to be a restriction on how far you go with your exercise, just that you shouldn’t drive anywhere to start it. Ride from your door and you can ride for as long as you can, even twice a day. So you could ride along the Taff Trail all the way into the Beacons and back without breaking a single rule. The rule of not crossing county boundaries is being lifted so that opens up quite a few more routes for me all within 10 miles of home. Basically the same as back in April/May.

Premier Icon scotroutes

Unlike back in March, there will be no limit to how many times you can leave the house to exercise or how far you can run, cycle, walk or jog, or to where – as local lockdown boundaries have now ended.

But exercising with others, such as running and cycling clubs, will not be allowed, and you should start your exercise from home.

People are being asked not to drive anywhere to do sport as exercise, unless they have specific health reasons, and people are banned from driving “significant distances” to get to mountains, beaches and beauty spots”

That’s from the BBC

Premier Icon kelvin

And there are lots of folk that have suffered as a result of what would normally be considered routine work being stopped.

Very true. And even more routine work would have been stopped if we hadn’t taken the measures we have this year to reduce the number of covid patients. You can’t let covid patients mix with people having elective surgery, or getting treatment for any other serious condition. You can’t magic away the ongoing NHS staffing crisis. Fail to control the virus and you cripple the NHS and its ability to treat people with other needs.

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

@reluctantjumper – the faqs also say “the nearer you stay to your home, the better”. This can be reconciled with “go as far as you want” if you do lots of laps rather than one big loop.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

Don’t worry, I wouldn’t do a massive ride as they do ask “the nearer you stay to your home, the better”. It’s not a rule per se but does come under Life Rule No.1, one I definitely won’t be breaking. If I can get a solid 1.5-2hrs most days outside on the bike away from others I’ll be able to get through without going mad.

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

I am assuming a 1-2hr loop from home would be OK as well @reluctantjumper. I can stay within ~40mins from home and visit some nice roads/trails, being able to nip across the border into Caerphilly (and Newport on the road) opens up a lot possibilities. Enough to keep me occupied anyhow.

Premier Icon oldnpastit

My youngest son’s girlfriend, who is 20, can’t get a consultant appointment because of Covid. So her sacrifice, which might affect her quality of life for another 50 or more years, benefits people in their seventies and eighties.

Maybe the cost-benefit analysis has been done, if so great, let’s publish it. Otherwise I’m going to assume it’s b.s.

Premier Icon molgrips

I’ve re-read it all to make sure I’m understanding it right but there doesn’t seem to be a restriction on how far you go with your exercise, just that you shouldn’t drive anywhere to start it.

I think it’s changed as I’m sure it explicitly said that the local restrictions applied on top of the national ones – and it came up straight away when I googled it at lunchtime.

In any case, I’ve just read on the local rules that there is leeway if you have a ‘reasonable excuse’ and I would imagine that the fact that loads of local riding and walking crosses into Caerphilly by trivial amounts would constitute a reasonable excuse. Half of Castell Coch is in Caerphilly; the Whips car park is in Caerphilly, the top of Cefn Onn is in Caerphilly…

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes

And even more routine work would have been stopped if we hadn’t taken the measures we have this year to reduce the number of covid patients.

It doesn’t have to be binary – and yet for a large part of this year it has been for some interventions. Of course you can’t let covid patients mix with those undergoing treatment for other issues but thankfully we have multiple hospitals.

It shouldn’t be a blanket either / or. We need a measured approach to dealing with covid and preventing other deaths with a return to the provision of other interventions.

Its a complex problem requiring complex answers, not, well-intentioned, dogma.

Premier Icon scotroutes

benefits people in their seventies and eighties.

Aye, because no one younger is dying or is going to have to live for 50 years with the after-effects of Covid.

Premier Icon kelvin

Its a complex problem requiring complex answers, not, well-intentioned, dogma.

The dogma is that the unfortunate and damaging effects on non-COVID care was somehow a ‘cost’ of measures designed to control the COVID outcome. This is not the case. It is a cost of us living with COVID, and a cost that has been reduced by preventing COVID spreading at the rate it would have if left unchecked. The NHS simply can not cope with the numbers of covid patients that there would be if we didn’t act to restrict the virus.

Otherwise I’m going to assume it’s b.s.

I suggest listening to the accounts of people that worked in hospitals during the first peak of the epidemic, and are now dealing with preparing for the next one.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

I suggest listening to the accounts of people that worked in hospitals during the first peak of the epidemic, and are now dealing with preparing for the next one.

I seem to recall people up here describing empty hospitals waiting for an influx that thankfully never came. Surely then some elective work could have continued in until wards were needed or admission rates increased? I’m not suggesting it could, there may well be practical reasons why it couldn’t but it surely isn’t beyond the wit of man to come up with something better than just sitting and hoping it goes away? If anyone wants to reply to this they should probably do so on the main thread, this isn’t really a Welsh thing.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

I am assuming a 1-2hr loop from home would be OK as well @reluctantjumper. I can stay within ~40mins from home and visit some nice roads/trails, being able to nip across the border into Caerphilly (and Newport on the road) opens up a lot possibilities. Enough to keep me occupied anyhow.

I’ve still got my map I made from the original lockdown with all the trails and roads marked out, handy to keep me riding different ways round and keeping things varied. Far too easy to fall into riding the same loop over and over!

I’ve just read on the local rules that there is leeway if you have a ‘reasonable excuse’ and I would imagine that the fact that loads of local riding and walking crosses into Caerphilly by trivial amounts would constitute a reasonable excuse. Half of Castell Coch is in Caerphilly; the Whips car park is in Caerphilly, the top of Cefn Onn is in Caerphilly…

Even under the current restrictions I’ve been riding up to Tongwynlais and along the ridgeway and down to Llwyn Celyn car park, I haven’t dropped down towards Caerphilly or the Van Road area as I asked a police officer who was up by Castell Coch and he said as long as you drop down ‘your’ side of the ridge he wouldn’t have an issue for solo riders. I’m pretty sure there was a piece on the BBC website that said that county border restrictions were being replaced with inside the Welsh border and staying close to home with no driving to exercise spots but that page has been updated and no longer says that. Will keep an eye on what the rules say as they refine them as I don’t want to break them but also need to keep in mind my mental health. My temporary job finishes on Tuesday and I live alone so need to keep my mind fresh and stimulated to avoid any damage. There’s only so many times I can research a dream build bike!

If the restrictions work along the same lines as the original lockdown rules then I should be fine even if this carries on right up until christmas.

Premier Icon blackbird
    Free Member

So folk who were due to travel to Wales for their family holiday won’t be able to, and inevitably they’ll just go somewhere else. So this runs the risk of shifting the “issue” to another region, north yorks or Cumbria for example, with equally as over burdened hospitals due to a current rise in Covid and the fact the health service is already at breaking point… Obviously no expert, but isn’t a more holistic approach and scientific modelling on people’s behaviours and covid spread needed to fully estimate the impact of regional “circuit breakers” and tier restrictions required?

Premier Icon yourguitarhero
    Free Member

^ yes, but UK government won’t countenance such a thing as Starmer suggested it and loads of folk dying is more important than admitting he was right

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes

I seem to recall people up here describing empty hospitals waiting for an influx that thankfully never came. Surely then some elective work could have continued in until wards were needed or admission rates increased? I’m not suggesting it could, there may well be practical reasons why it couldn’t but it surely isn’t beyond the wit of man to come up with something better than just sitting and hoping it goes away?

Indeed

Premier Icon kelvin

Starmer suggested it

He didn’t. Sage did. Ages ago now.

I seem to recall people up here describing empty hospitals

Lucky them. Do people think that Hospitals could just turn their quarantine measures on/off over night?

Free Member

I don’t know which was why I asked if there was a practical reason why they couldn’t continue a limited service. Do you know or are you just arguing for the sake of it?

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

My area is currently subject to local restrictions – do these continue as well?
    No – the circuit breaker lockdown will apply in the same way across Wales.

This is from the faqs. The “not going out of the county” rule is part of the local restrictions, which are not, according to this, continuing.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Surely then some elective work could have continued in until wards were needed or admission rates increased?

Mrs Nobeer unit (Macular degeneration) continued on right through, as did many other elective units, they were down to about 75% numbers, due to the obvious extra checks etc, and a number of their patients shielding.

Her pal in a covid ward who’s husband is a doctor in a Glasgow hospital covid ward certainly weren’t waiting on folk, sounded horrendous.

Yes, it didn’t get as bad as some predicted, but it’s not a black and white issue.

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

@greyspoke – I think the reasoning being that as you shouldnt be getting in the car you wouldn’t be likely to be leaving your local area anyway.
    However the wording is ‘we ask’ people not to drive to do things like exercise. I think they should either mandate not driving to excersize or keep the local boundaries in place so its harder for the ruels to be bent. Personally, not driving for recreation is a bit of a pain – but it is only for two weeks

Premier Icon pondo

We were heading over for half term – sad that we can’t but not the biggest disaster for us. Real shame for the businesses that depend on tourist footfall, but I applaud the Welsh government’s stance thst the bigger picture take precedence.

Free Member

Mrs Nobeer unit (Macular degeneration) continued on right through, as did many other elective units, they were down to about 75% numbers, due to the obvious extra checks etc, and a number of their patients shielding.

Her pal in a covid ward who’s husband is a doctor in a Glasgow hospital covid ward certainly weren’t waiting on folk, sounded horrendous.

Yes, it didn’t get as bad as some predicted, but it’s not a black and white issue.

Thanks, it may have been yourself I was thinking of. Happy to hear from those in the know. FWIW we know a nurse in the ITU up at the QE so know it wasn’t reflected everywhere.

Premier Icon kelvin

This is the first year in 30 that I’ve not been to Wales. Miss it. Hope local businesses get the help they need to get though to next summer, and that we can visit on mass then…

Premier Icon Gribs

We were heading over for half term – sad that we can’t but not the biggest disaster for us. Real shame for the businesses that depend on tourist footfall, but I applaud the Welsh government’s stance thst the bigger picture take precedence.

That rather depends on whether you believe that the bigger picture is better served by ruining the last chance the tourist sector had to make money this year and putting people off booking future holidays that may well be cancelled at short notice, or a few more dead boomers (and sadly a few vulnerable people).

Premier Icon P-Jay

Sons of bitches!

I was too busy looking at the trees to notice the forest!

It’s not 2 weeks, it’s 16 days, encompassing 3 weekends.

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

@ferrals
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Welsh_principal_areas_by_population
    There are tens of thousands of people in Cardiff who are a short ride/ decent walk from a county boundary. It does actually make a big difference if you live there.

ETA so I am lucky enough not to need to drive to be able to ride some decent trails and pleasant country roads. But almost all of my regular rides, even the short ones, cross into neighbouring counties.

Premier Icon kelvin

a few more dead boomers

What’s the opposite of virtue signalling?

Premier Icon P-Jay

There are tens of thousands of people in Cardiff who are a short ride/ decent walk from a county boundary. It does actually make a big difference if you live there.

Yep, went on a few rides as lockdown was easing that covered 3 counties, and one that covered 4, it wasn’t even that long a ride really, easy enough to do on a 160mm FS with 2.4/2.5 tyres and I’m old and fat.

Premier Icon molgrips

That rather depends on whether you believe that the bigger picture is better served by ruining the last chance the tourist sector had to make money this year and putting people off booking future holidays that may well be cancelled at short notice, or a few more dead boomers (and sadly a few vulnerable people).

They increased the support package too. We’ll have to wait and see how effective that turns out to be.

Premier Icon scotroutes

I’m old and fat.

Just know that Gribs would throw you to the wolves.

Premier Icon TiRed

What have you got?

Every year the NHS decides whether to suspend routine care based on levels of influenza. Think of the worst flu season you can imagine, and then some, for healthcare utilization. Sadly there is no redundancy built into the capacity – hence the decision is made. When all the HDU/ITU beds fill, normal operations are going to be postponed. That’s no argument for more routine care, but if half your hospital new admissions need a chest CT, then there will be fewer CTs for the cancer patients. And so on…

Pharmacy is about the only thing that can continue unabated. Assuming the pharmacists aren’t off sick!

Premier Icon P-Jay

I’m not THAT old ha ha.

Actually i’ve got a Zoom call tomorrow that could see me part of a Covid Vaccine trail involving being infected with Covid.

Premier Icon Gribs

I’d just not yet again help boomers to the detriment of the younger generations. They always seem to want the government/society to take care of them/their problems but don’t want to contribute. I know it’s not true for the whole generation but the majority have acted that way.

Premier Icon molgrips

I’d just not yet again help boomers to the detriment of the younger generations. They always seem to want the government/society to take care of them/their problems but don’t want to contribute.

I’m sorry, what the **** is that about?

The vast majority of boomers are just people who’ve worked and have now retired. That’s it. This idea of grasping monsters demanding things from us is ridiculous. When people say that ‘boomers caused the housing crisis’ they don’t mean they literally planned it and are actively executing it.

Premier Icon Gribs

The boomer generation has repeatedly benefitted from things and then repeatedly denied them to the following generations through their political choices. Stable jobs, pensions, education and training, social housing, secure rental accommodation etc. They’re the first generation in history to actually make thing worse for those following them. That’s without taking into account inflicting the shit show that is brexit on us.

Lockdowns hurt the young and are a very minor inconvenience to people who are retired.

Premier Icon Twodogs

The boomer generation has repeatedly benefitted from things and then repeatedly denied them to the following generations through their political choices. Stable jobs, pensions, education and training, social housing, secure rental accommodation etc. They’re the first generation in history to actually make thing worse for those following them. That’s without taking into account inflicting the shit show that is brexit on us.

Lockdowns hurt the young and are a very minor inconvenience to people who are retired

Ffs at least try and apply some critical thought to stuff you copy and paste

Premier Icon flannol
    Free Member

Lockdowns hurt the young and are a very minor inconvenience to people who are retired.

Can’t argue with that

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

Can’t argue with that

Yep. It’s spot on. My late teens, early 20s were great (albeit a while ago). I’m not sure I’d have been happy to give up a year of it to largely help a generation* that had repeatedly denied me the future they enjoyed. I expect I would, as most youngsters have done, but it is a big ask.

*I know it impacts a lot of other people too, just talking majorities.

Premier Icon 5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d have been happy to give up a year of it to largely help a generation* that had repeatedly denied me the future they enjoyed.

Nobody is to blame for your failure but you.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 198 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.