Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Waiting for news from the vets :(
  • mdavids
    Free Member

Just picked her up from the vets and she’s doing great, no signs of ill health and hopefully no long term damage to worry about.

We’ve been very lucky, the vets and assitants were marvellous.

The comments I made about my son were harsh however we all know as a family what the dog is like, she’s a little thief and will pick up anything that isn’t out of reach. It’s just a game for her and usually she does it so we’ll chase her round the house to get whatever it is back. I’d only left her alone for 10 mins while I went in the shower.

So yes its an accident but with just a little forethought, a completely avoidable one. However I am aware that 19 year olds aren’t the best at foreward thinking.

Thank you for all your comments, yesterday evening was awful but she’s back now and snoring away on the couch.

Gratuitous daisy pic from last xmas:

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Brilliant news !

Can you be completely sure that she ate a total of 40 caffeine tablets? The caffeine tablets I have come in blister packs in boxes of 30. And the toxicity of caffeine to dogs seems to be particularly high.

Either way it’s good to hear the news that everything is now ok 🙂

mdavids
    Free Member

Can you be completely sure that she ate a total of 40 caffeine tablets?

No I can’t be sure but I came out the shower and she was sitting there with the open bottle with about 10 tablets left in. I rang my son to ask how many were in and he said it was nearly full however there was another tub in his room containing some kind of creatine supplement pill. That one is full so maybe he’s confused which tub I was asking about.

You are correct about caffeine toxicity, after googling it last night I really feared the worst.

We found a few bits of broken pill on the floor so she’s definately ate some.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You are correct about caffeine toxicity, after googling it last night I really feared the worst.

Yes I did the same and thought there’s really no chance. Glad everything seems sorted now – I like a happy ending !

I didn’t realise that you can get caffeine pills loose in bottles, anything with a reasonable toxicity level should only be sold in blister packs imo.

mdavids
    Free Member

Glad everything seems sorted now – I like a happy ending !

Thank you. Daisy is my 4th dog, their lifespans are too short as it is and they leave such a gap when they go. To lose her this soon in her life would be heartbreaking.

franksinatra

Our retirever ate a whole packet of my Mums HRT tablets when I was a kid. The hormones made her dog boobs grow really big. I thought it was hilarious. Will never forget the conversation my dad had with the vet though..

.. if I knew that would happen I would have had the wife taking these things years ago..

stumpy01

Now she’s OK, can I just say she must have bloody dextrous paws to open them child-proof lids!!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Great news. More pics please. If you post one from the Vets it will get pretty dusty I imagine.

By the way do you live in a Bungalow. We where a strictly no dog upstairs house. Possibly too late now to train her for that.

Ex-BIL Lab ate a load of dry sheep nuts (dried food meant to be rehydrated before feeding to sheep) problem was they sucked all the water out of her body so she couodn’t pass them and of course making her very poorly. Vet had to give her enough water to pass them but not enough so they would expand and burst her stomach killing her. Funny story after she had survived but not before.

willard

Ted (my ESS) did a similar thing with a beef bone from the butcher’s. Ate the whole thing in one sitting and looked really pleased with himself all day. He wasn’t so happy the next day when he had to pass it.

I swear the neighbours thought I was mistreating him as he howled trying to pass a load of chewed calcium and cartilage. The poor lad’s ring must have been stretched almost to breaking point.

He didn’t learn. They never do.

stox
    Free Member

Top news!

jambalaya
    Free Member

He didn’t learn. They never do.

He learnt to chew it better next time

Daisy learnt that Cafine tablets give you a big rush and as a bonus you get to spend a couple of nights in a special dog hotel after which you get extra cuddles. Winner 🙂

Anyway never mind the dogs my 5yo first born drank a whole bottle of Amoxicillen – we learnt she was a good climber, had sound logic – she felt ill and that medicine is what will make me better, you can’t od on antibiotics

mdavids
    Free Member

Showing off her shaved legs on her first “back from the dead” walkies

The charcoal has been making a reappearance, she now has colour coordinated poos.

Interesting point above about child proof lids, wonder if it would have helped prevent this, and if tablets of that nature should be in child proof containers. Sports direct Lonsdale branded shite.

jamj1974

So glad she is ok OP!

daftvader
    Free Member

Double post!

daftvader
    Free Member

My brother in law had a golden lab as a drugs dog in the army… He could open up metal fire hose connectors they had to use as training aids…. Would chew through the plastic ones without a problem…. Glad yours is good now…

bruk

Just home and first check of STW, great news. Glad she made a full recovery and there should be no lasting damage either.

Labs will eat anything, child proof containers are no deterrent, I have had one eat its entire months supply of NSAIDS (not a good idea!) because they were tasty flavour ones. They were stored in a child proof container on top of the kitchen work top but he thought they were very tasty so chewed the bottle up and ate the lot.

Numerous people have child locks on their fridges solely because the dog will otherwise break in and eat everything.

Gotta love em.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Aw she’s lovely (although rather alarmingly her expression in that last pic says ‘mmm that camera looks tasty!’) – she’ll have an interesting tale to tell the other dogs at the park 🙂

johni
    Free Member

The good news is that charcoal reduces dog flatulence so at least you might have a low odour couple of days. Glad the pup is ok though! 🙂

CountZero

Labs genetic desire to eat everything is one reason why guide dogs are usually lab/retriever cross, it helps reduce the eating obsession, but retains enough that it makes them very easy to train: will do anything for food! 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Waiting for news from the vets :(’ is closed to new replies.