Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • Waiting at the top of the trail
  • ebennett

Some people on the Gnaarly Enduro dood thread were saying they get annoyed when they’re waiting at the top of the trail to let a gap build up to the next rider and someone rolls up and heads onto the trail.

I’ve been both riders in that situation, had people do it while I’m waiting and it’s never bothered me much. However, once had someone have a proper go at me for rolling on while they were waiting. In my defence, I wasn’t tired and just wanted to keep going, and they looked like they’d just stopped for a chat. Plus I ended up being a good bit faster than them when they decided to set off and chase me down.

So what’s the etiquette for this? Should you ask anyone waiting if they want to go?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Quick ask never hurts, they might just be leaving a gap for a slower, less experienced or nervous rider. I’ll tell people if I’m leaving a gap for that reason.

stany
    Free Member

Only had this happen once, at the start of Summer Lightning.
    As the only signed trail on Leith Hill, I guess it could be a little bit fairground but it was a group of 6 or so and they didn’t look to be in a rush to set off. I was solo.
    Rode in to the sound of ‘oi, we were waiting’
    No idea what they were waiting for as I didn’t see anyone after that.

Fair point on gaps for slower riders but they only need 20 seconds or so with the length of trails around here.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Surely, if everyone did that, there’d be queues forming at certain sections?. Some people take it all a bit too seriously, That’s their problem as far as I’m concerned. You want to crack on, they think they’re more ‘enduro’ than the last people who went. Unless, of course, it’s their private land, in which case I guess you abide by their rules. Otherwise they have no right to expect you to follow their decisions.
    As far as I’m concerned, if they want a clear trail for their precious little run, then they’ll have to wait until one appears, but not at the detriment of anyone else.

martinhutch

Didn’t realise this was a thing. I just assume they’re having a breather or waiting for a mate to arrive and roll straight past. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As far as I’m concerned, if they want a clear trail for their precious little run, then they’ll have to wait until one appears, but not at the detriment of anyone else

If I’m leaving a gap for a slower rider who needs space for confidence and I tell you that would you wait? Nothing to do with being enduro just not being a dick.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Quick ask never hurts, they might just be leaving a gap for a slower, less experienced or nervous rider. I’ll tell people if I’m leaving a gap for that reason.

That’s fair enough, if they said “we’re just giving that guy a gap”, if they’re just giving someone 30secs to set off. Personally, I don’t mind following slower riders, unless they’re really slow, in which case I’ll ask to pass.

ebennett

Didn’t realise this was a thing. I just assume they’re having a breather or waiting for a mate to arrive and roll straight past.

That was what I thought until someone had a go at me!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Personally, I don’t mind following slower riders,

Some slower riders get really stressed at the thought of holding others up and end up not enjoying the ride, hence leaving the gap and asking people to chill out and respect that.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

If I’m leaving a gap for a slower rider who needs space for confidence and I tell you that would you wait? Nothing to do with being enduro just not being a dick.

No I wouldn’t wait. I wouldn’t ride up their arse, but I wouldn’t wait. Trails are for sharing.

Sorry, but it’s not a thing. If someone has an issue with you doing one continuous ride then that’s their problem not yours.

Kahurangi

Some slower riders get really stressed at the thought of holding others up and end up not enjoying the ride, hence leaving the gap and asking people to chill out and respect that.

This. If you’re riding right behind my Mrs, it really spoils her ride as she’s stressed she’s holding someone up and it affects her riding. She’ll let you past if she can but that’s not always possible.

chakaping
    Free Member

So many groups congregate at the top of sections on trail centres, it’d be daft to ask each one if they are waiting for a reason or not.

I’m often on a tight schedule so I’m happy to nip in front usually.

Anyway, I can’t remember the last time I got caught up at a trail centre – apart from by my own mates.

[/Awesome]

wrecker
    Free Member

Of course nobody could wait and you could just go buzz the back wheel of a slower less confident rider.
    We humans are great at communicating, we have language. When I roll up to a group waiting at the start of a trail, I just ask “mind if I go through please lads?”
    They’ll say either “you’ll get help up mate” or “yeah, crack on buddy”
    Jeez. It’s not difficult.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyway, I can’t remember the last time I got caught up at a trail centre – apart from by my own mates.

The only person that ever catches me is me, so fast it hurts….

zippykona

It’s been years since I have ridden a trail centre and by the sounds of it I’m not in a hurry to go back.
    Are the tyre buzzers the same people who sit on your bumper at 80 mph on the motorway even when the middle lane isn’t free to pull in to?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Some total bells hammered past me at swinley yesterday, skidding round berms and easily catching the kids I was giving space for :/

scotroutes

I rarely visit trail centres but I certainly wouldn’t be asking some folk hanging around if I had their permission to ride. Having said that, If I caught up with a slower rider, I’d just slow down too. You don’t have to be so close that you are pressurising them and you don’t need to be 20 seconds behind either.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I rarely visit trail centres but I certainly wouldn’t be asking some folk hanging around if I had their permission to ride.

If it was me I would ask you to wait, nothing to do with permission just being nice to one another…

wanmankylung
    Free Member

If it was me I would ask you to wait, nothing to do with permission just being nice to one another…

And I would think that you are a self important ignorant arse piece and say no if I even acknowledged you.

Asking strangers to interrupt their ride to please you is not nice and is certainly not polite.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good for you, deciding to ride up somebody’s arse despite having it pointed out to you that the people who know how fast the ride think the gap isn’t big enough then we all have to wait for you then set off. It’s not a race.

scandal42
    Free Member

I can’t imagine how tedious a ride around Cannock would be If I had to stop and ask people if they were waiting at the start of sections.

Just ride but be polite to those that you catch up to on the trail surely?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Are you hard of thinking? I have these things called good manners which you appear to be missing.

No I wouldn’t wait. I wouldn’t ride up their arse, but I wouldn’t wait. Trails are for sharing.

If I caught up with a slower rider, I’d just slow down too. You don’t have to be so close that you are pressurising them and you don’t need to be 20 seconds behind either.

chrishc777
    Free Member

No idea this was a thing either. I just like to ride my bike down hills. Good job I don’t use these trail centre things much, too much etiquette and egos involved by the sound of things

thegreatape
    Free Member

…just being nice to one another…

Some people don’t get this sort of thing.

scotroutes

Is it true they are installing a ticketed queuing system at the top of Spooky Woods?

mikewsmith – Member
    It’s not a race.

Oh teh ironing

oldnpastit

I don’t obey unwritten rules that other people have made up for their convenience and to pressurise me. I certainly don’t waste time feeling guilty about breaking them.

If this rule was important it would be written down and clearly visible.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

No idea this was a thing either

Me neither 😕 Is mountain biking going the same way as road riding with all these stupid unwritten rules 😆

If I’m out with a group of mates I’ll often wait a few secs at the top of a trail if I know the person infront is a bit slower but if another rider came along and carried on past me it wouldn’t bother me one bit.

scotroutes

Has anyone blamed Strava yet?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s strava’s fault.

iainc

Is it true they are installing a ticketed queuing system at the top of Spooky Woods?

😀

I was at GT last Sunday and queued for what seemed like ages at the car park ticket machine at 0930…..I was expecting the worst however on setting off, the trails were busy but good behaviour, even the guy with the dog…., and I peeled off onto the black after Buzzards Nest. Thereafter I only saw 2 other bikes the whole way round the black…

Shared sections were busy lower down mind…

thepurist

Is this the same as the weekend jump track etiquette at swinley where you have to weave through all da yoot chillin on their jump bikes on the run in at the top to actually ride the thing?

If it looks clear I’ll go, if I catch someone up I’ll ease off and pass politely when it’s safe, if I get caught I’ll move over. It’s just playing on bikes after all.

P-Jay
    Free Member

As with most things, these sorts of arguments can be avoided by following the simple rules – don’t be an arsehole and say hi to your fellow rider and follow that with some more words.

I have stopped at the top of downhill sections to ‘gap’ slower riders, it’s an inevitable part of trail centre life – 4-6 riders on hire bikes nervously threading between the rocks, don’t need me behind them braking and making them more nervous.

Occasionally, whilst waiting some more guys have come along, some stop, some ask to go through, some we say “slower riders ahead” or whatnot, if they want to go ahead, I just let them, some people don’t like to stop when they ride.

There was one guy though, oh he was a special case – big group of us waiting for a dozen or so new riders on hire bikes to get going, he looked us up and down and said “I think I’d better go first” I’ve never chased someone so hard in all my life – he pulled over to let us past ha ha.

bungalistic
    Free Member

If people are waiting at the top of a particular section and I want to continue on I do so, be it a trail centre or not. I’ll usually at least acknowledge the rider(s) by saying a hello or something. If they mention they are waiting around for other riders in front (say a family or kids) then i’ll probably wait with them a while.

If i’m waiting and people pass me then that’s fine too.

I’ve never had an issue with anyone when out and find most folk are polite and chatty if you are too.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

But surely just give them fifteen feet space, some people are prepared to ride at others pace and maybe nip past if safe, or not, it doesn’t matter. I thought the OP was ref’ing people who want an unhindered run and expect everyone else to fall in line behind them, I’d probably suggest those are the same people who’ll be more likely bearing down on the back wheel of slower riders, because they’re in the zone, didn’t get that unhindered run they wanted, they’re pissed about it and they want to make a point. The rest of us just out for a trundle are likely to be the ones more chilled, I’d have thought.

I have stopped at the top of downhill sections to ‘gap’ slower riders, it’s an inevitable part of trail centre life – 4-6 riders on hire bikes nervously threading between the rocks, don’t need me behind them braking and making them more nervous.

Just using this as an example, do people not just find that they pretty much always catch up that person/group they gave space to anyway?, but just a bit further down the trail than they would have done if they hadn’t sat at the top for 2 minutes, hence making it a bit of a pointless gesture?.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Just using this as an example, do people not just find that they pretty much always catch up that person/group they gave space to anyway, but just a bit further down the trail than they would have done if they hadn’t sat at the top for 2 minutes, hence making it a bit of a pointless gesture?.

Occasionally, but not often, it’s hard to say this without sounding slightly arrogant – but it’s about, trying at least, to judge your pace to theirs, Hire Bike, Hire Helmets and non cycle-specific clothing matched with a look of fear and terror – I’d give them the full 5 mins.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’d have thought.

I’d have thought that those who want an interrupted run (i.e, those who don’t want to wait or pass the time of day to other riders) are those more likely to buzz a rear wheel. Those giving others space are being more considerate IMHO. Even sitting 15 feet away can put the willies up inexperienced riders. They won’t enjoy it, you won’t enjoy it.
    It’s not about rules, it’s just letting everyone enjoy their ride.

D0NK

But surely just give them fifteen feet space,

15feet is not a lot of space at all and if you catch up stopping to wait midway down a hill is not really sensible so you end up riding the brakes the rest of the way down, which is not fun and the rider in front may get nervous if s/he knows there is someone behind – I for one don’t want to be responsible for someone ahead feeling pressured and stacking.

On the flip side leave a gap by all means, but if that’s what you’re doing be sure to make it obvious, be sat on bike, pedals ready, etc, all set to go, not stood to the side of the trail having a natter – which there seems to be a lot of at trail centres and other busy trails.

D0NK

TBH 15feet is probably a minimum for people you know ride at a similar pace to you, mixed ability group (or strangers) on unknown trails you need lot’s more space. If the rider ahead stalls chances are you will too and you get the ripple effect behind you as everyone else dabs. 15′ may just be enough for a dab/recovery, but if the person ahead has to jump off and push up a techy/steep section unless they jump out of your way chances are slim to none of you getting over the obstacle. I’ve had it before where I’ve caught up the rider in front and backed way off to give them space and me a better run at stuff. The riders behind have come right up behind me, leaving no gap, so if I fluff my line they’re knackered. Their choice but they better not tut if I screw up 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

15feet is not a lot of space at all and if you catch up

Sorry, I was meaning 15 metres but wrote feet for some reason 😳

TBH, I’m playing devil’s advocate, because like most people, I’d stop, chat with people and make an assessment whether to ride straight thru or wait for them to set off first.

taxi25
    Free Member

Weirdest thread ever. I never stop on a ride and assumed the hanging around at the trail head was for having a breather/chat ect. If your waiting for a gap thats your choice but don’t expect others to join your imaginary queue. If I catch someone, I hang back pass if its safe, but more normally unless the rider in front pulls over I wait untill the end of the section. I’ve been riding trail centre’s since the beginning and never had a problem.
    I’ll mention it, if you ride at trail centre’s unless your a riding god sooner or later people will come up behind you. No one’s being rude it’s part of the sport and something you have to get used to, if you can’t perhaps trail centres aren’t the best place for you to enjoy your ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Waiting at the top of the trail’ is closed to new replies.