Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Waist shorts for under £60 for longer ride
  • joebristol

Per the other thread that was running I did get a few comments about budget Lycra shorts – I wear them under endura humvee outers for mtb and without outers for road biking. I’ve been using the £30 ish basic dhb ones but for longer rides I’m not finding them that comfy now (even with chamois cream – although that does help).

All the suggestions were bibs and if I’m honest I don’t really want bibs – I’m happy with how waist shorts sit round my waist – they don’t fall down / ride up etc. I just think I need a better pad for longer rides.

Any suggestions under £60 (rules out Castelli / fancy roadie makes from what I can see). Sometimes the more expensive dhb aerons come in budget – but anything else to consider in budget?

yetidave
    Free Member

having been against bib shorts for a long time, i eventually found some which fitted really well. (Planet x ones for about £25). One the road i am now a total convert, won’t use anything else.

mtbfix

Endura FS260 would be my suggestion.

fathomer

I’d ‘suggest’ bibs, most people prefer them for a reason.

If not, the Endura FS260 or the Morvelo Overland is where I’d be looking if I wanted shorts.

MrTricky
    Free Member

I don’t use padded shorts at all. Started off when bike packing, as I wanted stuff that was quick to dry and also packed small. I’ve gone for synthetic boxers, Rohan mens cool silver trunks work for me (the seams are brilliantly placed), Humvees or similar over the top. SDG Bel Air saddle works nicely too. It is a cheap experiment to try, and may save you loads of money in the long term.

joebristol

I’ve got SDG bel airs on both mtb’s and just stuck a bel air 2 on my road bike to try. The bel air 2 is only a small step on from a chunk of concrete vs the bel air 1 but going to give it a go for a few months with better shorts and see how it goes.

Why do people like bibs so much – if they’ve got the same pad where’s the advantage if you’re good with how waist shorts sit?

nickdavies

The only shorts ive ever had that have had a decent pad are some decent funkier ones which i tend to save for the turbo, and some nice altura liners.

Bibs are better, more supportive etc – whether you prefer liners or bibs is up to you but if you want to know why you shouldnt be wearing liner shorts on a road bike get someone to follow you in a car with a dascham….

lunge

Decathlon – https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bibless-shorts-rc500-black-id_8502467.html or https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rc-500-padded-cycling-shorts-black-id_8549459.html
    I’ve never used the shorts but the pad is the same as on their higher end bib shorts which I love so I suspect they’ll do you a job.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ones that fit…..

TBH its personal, and it changes. A bit like saddles.

I had a pair of altura bibs that used to give me horrible chafeing, now they’re my most comfortable bibs.

BadlyWiredDog

I find the top-end DHB Aeron waist shorts pretty good tbh – same pad as the equivalent bibs, I think. But they also do a pair designed for indoor turbo use which have a slightly different pad, but are designed with breathable side panels and, I think, would work quite well as liner shorts. I’ve found them good on the turbo and I don’t see why they wouldn’t work well under baggies. Not ideal without though.

joebristol

Thanks for all the above comments – I’m going to order the Aeron’s I think and see what they’re like when they arrive. If not a good fit then it’ll be the Triban (Decathlon) or the Endura to try.

I read reviews of each and the Decathlon ones have the largest majority of negative comments – although still scores an ok 4 of 5 on the average. The Aerons slightly better – struggling to find so much on the Endura.

cookeaa

Why do people like bibs so much – if they’ve got the same pad where’s the advantage if you’re good with how waist shorts sit?

The pad only really works if it stays in position, which means the shorts need to stay in position as you move about. My experience is that Lycra, whilst tight fitting, isn’t actually very grippy and no matter how tight you make the waist it still likes to slide about, can therefore drop a bit at the back and can let the pad ride out of position no matter how tight the waist. The best fix for this issue is basically integrated braces, hence bib shorts came into being.

joebristol

Oh I see, I hadn’t really thought about it like that before. I just hate the look of them and know my wife will take the piss as an additional downside.

Will see if these workout – if not maybe I’ll take the plunge and go for a bib. I just feel like the braces bit will rub on my shoulders or fit badly.

lunge

I just hate the look of them and know my wife will take the piss as an additional downside

Bibs are the least of your problems in that regard, they’re covered up soon enough. Getting dressed for an autumn ride and being stood there in arm warmers, legs warmers, a HRM and socks makes for a very niche look.

joebristol

Bibs are the least of your problems in that regard, they’re covered up soon enough. Getting dressed for an autumn ride and being stood there in arm warmers, legs warmers, a HRM and socks makes for a very niche look.

I probably wouldn’t be wearing any of that other stuff though 🙈

If winter riding I’ll wear a cycling jacket with a long sleeve base layer until it, use wrist base heart rate and normally just shorts – but if it’s cold maybe tights. Not a long socks pulled up kind of riser either.

I’m not really a roadie clearly – way more into mountain bikes with just a bit of a dabble with some road riding just for fitness more than anything else.

martinhutch

A lot of mtbers think bibs are just a roadie thing until they try them on longer rides. 🙂

joebristol

If these new ones (if they arrive as Hermes will probably be delivering) are comfy I promise I’ll try bibs next…..

chakaping
    Free Member

A lot of mtbers think bibs are just a roadie thing until they try them on longer rides. 🙂

Under baggies? But what about the pee stops?

thepurist

Under baggies? But what about the pee stops?

They’re stretchy enough. Even on a cold day 🙂

joebristol

It does sound a little more faff tbh – they’d have to be a game changer comfort wise to put up with both the look and faff of shoulder straps just to pull your shorts down….

nickdavies

It does sound a little more faff tbh – they’d have to be a game changer comfort wise to put up with both the look and faff of shoulder straps just to pull your shorts down….

Wrong end…. you dress to one side for a reason! 🤣

Rubber_Buccaneer

This week bib shorts have seriously been getting on my tits.  Bad case of nipple rub🙁

mogrim

As mentioned above, it’s a personal thing.

If you fancy trying something with a (much) thinner pad you could try some triathlon shorts, they have a very thin pad that will stop chafing but won’t provide much padding. They won’t move around. FWIW I’ve done 180km road rides with them and they’re fine, YMMV.

brassneck

I’m not sure why everyone is trying to tell you you need bibs. I have both, prefer non bib myself, have done for 25 plus years without suffering any of the disadvantages I’m told about.
    High end Decathlon are OK, but best pair I have are Castelli Carbon somethings – bought 7/8 years ago still going strong (comfy and not gone revoltingly see through) .. Italian sizing though, my typically 34″ waist in high street fitting needed an XXL (v slightly too big, but better fit than XL) .. if your ego can handle that they are great – link to the closest I can find that are current:
    https://www.castelli-cycling.com/gb/men/bottoms//p/452000920P-010
    .. otherwise Endura FS260 are popular.

brassneck

Oh forgot – I used to like Ground Effect too, but its been so long since I bought any they will have changed a bit .. worth a look though.

joebristol

Thanks – I hadn’t even considered the nipple thing with bibs – further reason not to rush to get some!

No-one sees the size of shorts I wear so as long as they fit I’m not too bothered. In castelli it sounds like I’d be between xl and xxl as I’m a solid 34” waist. I looked at the endura and the size guide was telling me medium but not why / giving me sizing. I think Sigma we’re out of stock of the medium so I put that on the back burner.

Just got a dispatch note for the Aerons – hopefully get them early next week and see what the fit is like. If not great / the idea doesn’t seem better than what I have then I’ll have another go at the endura or maybe the Castelli’s if I can find them in budget.

brassneck

Its not much use to you now, but when I bought mine they were from a shop .. JE James I think .. and they were reduced – paid about £60 which seemed a lot at the time but I’ve had my moneys worth.

joebristol

Yeah, they’re a touch over budget even from a slightly iffy euro site at the moment. Especially as I went mad last night and ordered a Garmin Edge 530 with mtb pack. Getting into the exploring bridleways / doing country road rides from home and think it might be more efficient than cycling with an os map stuck in my waist band / messing about with my phone.

Going for a ride out round Chew Valley Lakes early doors tomorrow on the road bike – loosely going to follow some national cycle route signs and then extend the route out to maybe 50 miles depending on saddle comfort. The new saddle is pretty hard compared to the old one (but is lighter and looks nicer)….

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Waist shorts for under £60 for longer ride’ is closed to new replies.