Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • VW T5 tailgate query
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

I know there’s a few T5 owners on here so I thought this may be a good place to ask. I stripped the ply lining out of my T5 at the weekend in preparation for insulating it. I realised there’s no way to open the tailgate from the inside which may cause issues depending on the interior layout I go for. Is it something that was an option on these vans? I’d like to retro fit one if possible.

jam-bo

mines got a handle on the inside.

bob_summers

Mine too, ’08 Multivan. Part of the central locking too iirc.

phil5556

Mines got a handle. Newer ones have an electronic switch for a solenoid I think.

Probably easier to add a switch that handle if that’s the type you’ve got.

mashr

Mine had a handle on the inside too, mate mates older one does as well. His was mechanical, mine was electric (the release, the door wasn’t automatic opening or anything like that)

Mister-P
    Free Member

Cool, thanks for the replies. Looks like I need to go scrap yard hunting for some bits.

Andy

’63 plate converted van here. No internal latch. Would be interested to see what solution you come up with MisterP?

thesurfbus
    Free Member

My T6 Shuttle has an electronic boot release.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Depends on your van I guess but you don’t/might not need a handle. A mate of mine just installed an electric push-button. The tailgate latch is electrically operated not mechanically….the external tailgate handle is just a fancy switch, so my mate just installed a switch in line. I keep meaning to do this.

Obviously probably depends on the year of your van but with mine when you use the external handle it’s actually electronically actuated.

cnud
    Free Member

I just wired a switch into my 2011 tailgate as it had no handle. There’s even a nice little recess for it to sit in on the frame. Doh! too slow, as above.

revs1972
    Free Member

2013 Kombi
    Theres a small switch built in to the inside of tailgate that you pull to release (its electronic)

welshfarmer

If it’s electronic, make sure any switch is either a pull type or sufficiently guarded that it can’t be accidentally knocked from inside. You wouldn’t want something to roll against it while driving and the door fly open

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘VW T5 tailgate query’ is closed to new replies.