Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • VW T5 remapping
  • chris36860
    Free Member

Hi, thinking of having my 2009 T30 2.5 130 remapped and wondered if anyone here has had it done? If so, what sort of MPG return do you get ? I’ve only had it 6 weeks and had a 1.9 84bhp T5 before this one. I’m pretty happy with the performance but wouldn’t mind a bit more MPG ( and power but don’t tell the missis). It’s currently sat around the 30ish but I only do short journeys normally. It’s doing a 200 mile trip to BPW in the morning, so I’ll work out what it does on a longer journey.

What BHP do you get and where is it most noticeable?

Thanks

Chris

nealglover
    Free Member

My T4 mpg went up pretty well.

I reckon its because of the increased power and torque meaning you don’t tend to boot it as much to get the same results. (After the initial “novelty/grin” factor wears off anyway)

Mine went from 150 to 181 and drives so much better because if it.

chris36860
    Free Member

The novelty/grin factor is just wearing off after coming from a 84 hp to a 130hp. I’m actually pretty impressed by the power the thing has seeing the amount of tools I carry. The 6 speed box helps massively!

sharkattack

I have the same van as you but without a DPF and I made a tangible difference to throttle response buy fitting a really cheap EGR blanking plate from ebay. Not sure what it did to the fuel consumption but it’s cheap, takes half an hour and you can feel the benefit.

Got quoted 300 for a rolling road remap. Bhp would go up to 170-180. Don’t get hung up on bhp though, the torque curve is what you want.

chris36860
    Free Member

Thanks Sharkattack, somebody I know mentioned this and said it made a massive difference. £300 sounds pretty good for a rolling road map.

sharkattack

Yeah making sure your EGR is clean is the first job with any Tdi. It can really kill your power and economy and it’s so easy to check. Even if you don’t blank it off just make sure it’s clean and not a black, clogged up mess.

In terms of MPG I get high 20’s around town which I avoid like the plague. Get high 30’s easy on a decent journey. Managed well over 800 miles on a tank from Amsterdam to Val di Sole which is mid 40’s I think. Amazing van, best vehicle (by far the most sensible) that I’ve ever had.

chris36860
    Free Member

I’ll check the ERG when I get back from Wales on Sunday but I have a feeling I’ll be spotless.

Any recommendations on Remapping down south ( Sussex/Hampshire)

Sharkattack – loving the van so far compared to my old T5. The best van I’ve ever had!

nealglover
    Free Member

If you are going to get it remapped anyway, save yourself the bother of cleaning/blanking the EGR.

Ask them to delete the EGR during the remap, far easier.

pymwymis
    Free Member

If you blank or delete you EGR how do you get past your mot emissions test ?

Fwiw I have a T5 facelift on a 10 plate and I never get more than about 650 mile to a tank (even when I try to hyper mile it by driving like my granny).

mattbee

For remap in Hampshire, speak to TH Performance in Fareham. They are a Pendle agent and well recommended by lots of people.

legspin
    Free Member

I had mine remapped by martin up at Pendle. It went from a 102 to 136. Its such a pleasure to drive, loads easier to go from 1st to 2nd.
    Not sure it made any difference on consumption. Driving in France at 120-130 I got around 35mpg.

legspin
    Free Member

I had mine remapped by martin up at Pendle. It went from a 102 to 136. Its such a pleasure to drive, loads easier to go from 1st to 2nd.
    Not sure it made any difference on consumption. Driving in France at 120-130 I got around 35mpg.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you blank or delete you EGR how do you get past your mot emissions test ?

There is no emissions test on the MOT for a diesel.

Just a smoke test

andyl
    Free Member

Hired a brand new (metallic poo colour) 84ps TDI last weekend. Was expecting a transit so it was nice to get a T5 as I am thinking of buying one.

It was the 5 speed box and I was desperate for a 6th gear. I found 1st gear utterly useless with no/low load. Fuel wise I did 450 miles in a day and half and took 56 litres. Not bad as I am not used to driving a van so wasnt the smoothest, did a day of lugging stuff up a steep hill to the new house 7 miles away and then did a long trip to get some furniture without taking it easy so 36.5 mpg, assuming it was actually full and not just full enough for the gauge to say it was.

How do the more powerful and 6 speed versions compare in terms of gearing legs? 1st was my biggest problem as it was utterly useless for pulling out onto a fast road.

john_l
    Free Member

2nd recommendation for TH Performance – he’ll come to you, plug in & 2 hrs later, voila!

Took my 105 to around 138 (he thinks), tbh it could be anything but the smoothness & pull is sooo much better, much more fun to drive. MPG slightly improved if you don’t hammer it.

Consider your insurance though. Direct Line cancelled my policy when I told them about the re-map (& alloys & lowering) Adrian Flux sorted me out though.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I had my ’08 130 done approx 4 years and 50,000 ago. nothing but faultless performance ever since. Was done by Pendal Performance (in the back of the Hope Factory) Money well spend IMO.

steveh

Andyl – 1st gear in pretty much all vans is like that unfortunately. They’re designed to be used at full load with maximum tow weight and still be able to do the required hill start so empty you end up changing half a second later.
    I’ve not had a newer shape but in the pre facelift versions 6th was about 10-15% higher than 5th in the 5 speed vans with subtle changes across the range until then.

moreupsthandownz
    Free Member

As per others comments, Pendle is good. 08 130 here had it re-mapped about two years ago took it up to around 180, I tend to do medium to long runs and for a full tank down to second low fuel warning I get between 540 – 580 miles per tank full. For a big lump that it is I consider that to be not too bad, I had a 1.9 85 before that and unmapped that gave me around 580 miles per tank full after EGR blanking plate put in line, never had that re-mapped though.

The EGR blanking plate also makes a noticeable difference to the performance without the re-map, which reminds me I must get in there and clean mine out which I hadnt got round to doing before I put the blanking plate in line.

MUTDz

sp
    Free Member

Pendle Performance and I would take the van to him. Martin will pre run the van on his dyno to check the engine is sweet then custom map. DPF delete can save you loads should it fail.

Mine was a 174 after martin had done his magic its at 204 just love motorway sliproads >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

chris36860
    Free Member

Thanks guys, just done the 200 mile trip back from BPW and loaded up with 3 guys and all the gear we managed 34 mpg ish. We did sit at 85 most of the way tho. Will contact TH when I’m home later as they are only 20 miles away.

Chris

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘VW T5 remapping’ is closed to new replies.