Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • VW T5 Camper – High top or pop top, any advice?
  • woody74

Looking to get a VW Camper and have seen a nice high top. Anyone got any advice on if a pop top is better or worse. Any general thoughts from owners?

nwilko
    Free Member

if you dont plan on using the upper bunks in either then the hightop will give you loads of permanent storage space (for light stuff)..
    poptop will go under most carpark height barriers but will be colder in winter than hightop (but you can pull roof down overnight if not sleeping upstairs).
    fuel will be similar as both big & heavy either way.
    poptop maybe easier to sell on in years to come.
    if you plan on sleeping 4 storage and floor space will be a challenge either way..
    as accomodation for 2 both work great with sufficient storage for a weeks biking/walking..

ash.addy
    Free Member

Depends where you want to park it pop top for a multistory or not – is it going to be your daily transport? if not I’d poss go with the hardtop and have a toilet and Shower in it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    woody74

There are currently just 3 of us, wife and 18month daughter. We thought she could go up in the high top. We won’t be using it for our day to day car so doubt we would really ever go into multi story car parks. In all honesty when we go on holiday we normally have bikes on the top of the car anyway and this has never been a problem when finding parking.

Anyone know what a 2.5 diesel auto would be like on mpg?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I’ve got a VW T3 poptart and use a thermal wrap (available for T4s & T5s) to keep it toasty in winter and the extra space & sleeping quarters means we can sleep both teenage boys plus MrsCat & me. We can also get into most height restricted car parks.

In the summer the opening windows are great.

Ballaches are – taking boards off to pop the top, putting the thermal wrap on in the rain.

alfabus
    Free Member

i’ve just bought a t5 (standard height), and I’m thinking about putting a pop-top on… i wouldn’t want a hi-top; too many compromises in where you can take it, and fuel economy.

Dave

adi66
    Free Member

Blatant plug for my mates business (sorry)

Lookie here before you buy:

http://www.risingsuncampers.co.uk

innit_gareth
    Free Member

Used to have a lwb poptop which was great. Recently hired a hi top in nz. Loads of extra space in the back and felt roomy (although with the old one and the pop top up its very roomy). More storage space, cupboards as well.

If you’re sure you don’t need to go under barriers (such as at the beach) I’d go hi top.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Pop top or neither I’d say.

We’ve had a pop top LWB 2.5tdi T5 for about 5 years now and I definitely wouldn’t get a hight top unless we were just 2 people. I use the van as my daily car so having the high top would be a complete PITA. If I didn’t have to use it as my car (as you don’t) then I wouldn’t buy a VW T5 at all cos there would be no point (with three+ people). If you’re going to the hassle of having a high top camper which is mince to drive, gets blown about by the wind and is a pain to drive in narrow/low places then you might as well get a proper motorhome instead of a campervan so you have the comfort that comes with it. A hight top camper is just a compromise with 3 or 4 people in it, bad to drive and not particularly comfortable.

The pop top on the other hand is okish to drive and sleeps 4 fairly well in a campervan style.

3bikeman
    Free Member

Ive got an Autosleeper trident – hi top roof – 2.5 TDI 40 MPG
    Love it!!
    although upstairs is only useful for ‘small children’ its great for storage.As you have over the cab storage as well.
    No issues with height – dont use multicps or cps with barriers.
    great when you can slide the door open and step in and stand up, especially when changing out of wet gear.

Looked around rising roofs – several looked as though they had a leak! camped next to a few in the lakes and they have to put the roof down in windy weather, there is no insulation either making them chilly, Hi roofs are well insulated.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

No idea if people agree with my definition but I’ll try it anyway:

A Campervan is something you can drive/sleep/cook in but requires a lot of fiddling to transfer between modes and there is very little room left over once you have it set up to do one of those things in.

A Motorhome has the room to sleep and cook but also toilet and shower. You can stay in it for much longer cos it has more facilities including the key ones of big and shower. There is more room.

You can get a T5 Motorhome (ie with bog and shower) but I don’t think it will take 4 people in comfort.

Given that you are currently 3, and perhaps will end up 4 or more then I’d say either get a small campervan (with poptop) or a bigger motorhome. Getting a small van with fitted shower etc will just be too cramped.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Heating:
    I’ve slept out in mine with the poptop roof up in minus twelve no problem. It was around minus 9 in the van but that’s no problem with a decent duvet or sleeping bag. Before you get up in the morning stick the central heating on and it heats up in no time.

woody74

I thought the advice might be polarized like this. People with high tops think pop tops are rubbish and people with pop tops think high tops are stupid and impractical. I do like that with a high top you have loads more storage for beading etc and at 6’3″ a high top will be easier when getting in the van. Then again I can see that a pop top is easier around town and

A motorhome would be good but for £10K -£15K you can only get really old ones. At least for this you can get a 2006/2007 T5. I think you need £20K + for a motorhome as I don’t fancy driving around in a mid 90’s Fiat van which most seem to be based on.

robh

At 6′ 3″ will you be able to stand up anyway, I couldn’t in my parents Hi Top Transhit. I’ve got a tin top T3 yes I have to bend down but most of the time I’m in it I’m sitting or sleeping.

Just me and SO though no 18mther to worry about.

stevemorg2

The pop top on our T5 works well for us. The kids used to enjoy sleeping up there but as they get older (they are now 11 and 13) they’d rather sleep in the awning or in a seperate tent.
    The pop top makes a massive difference when camped up – a lot more space to move about and a nice airy feel – certanly worth the investment!
    We ruled out a high top because of road noise, fuel consumption and ease of use (the van is my everyday car) but others I know seem really happy with them

Mike
    Free Member

As ever, down to budget really and if it’s not going to be a daily driver – I’d go for the high top. If it is going to be used just for trips away and not a dual purpose vehicle, personally I’d get a proper motorhome and that’s coming from a VW Transporter addict/owner!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

You can get nifty bunk ends that will stop a nipper rolling off which means a bit more space and for the T3 there were cab bunks as well, am sure there will be something similar for T5s.

Have 3 mates with pop tops – one T3 and 2 T5s all well over 6ft and they can stand comfortably. Cannot comment on a hi-top.

sturmey
    Free Member

Cab bunk for a T5 is ideal for little ones they go across the front seats and rest on the door tops. as for storage well Ive just built this with plenty of room http://cateringtrucks.co.uk/our-fleet/jiffy-campers as for preferance pop top but either Reimo or SCA both are proven over time and come with TUV certification

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘VW T5 Camper – High top or pop top, any advice?’ is closed to new replies.