Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • VW passat: wipers have got a poltergeist. HELP
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

2000 Passat, i can’t turn my wipers off!

anyone come across this?

MrNutt
    Free Member

is it raining?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

no 🙁

halfbee
    Free Member

my 1999 estate has a rear wiper with a mind of its own – I’ve never got to the bottom of it

matt_outandabout

warning – new wiper motor alone on 2000 Passat cost £258 🙁

hora
    Free Member

If you have to replace?:
    http://www.carsparefinder.co.uk/ (there are a few online scrapyard finders online)
    and
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passat-Audi-Automotive-Repair-Manual/dp/1563924382

Pete
    Free Member

Could be the self park switch, even when you turn the switch off the motor has to be kept live until the wipers have parked.

m0nster2
    Free Member

It will either be
    1. Like Pete says: a parkswitch/park plate failure internal to the motor
    (This is the most common type of motor failure)
    2. Dodgy column stalk/connections
    3. Dodgy rainsensor/connections

Most likely #1 but do give the rainsensor part of the windscreen a cursory clean and the stalk a waggle about for some amateur diagnosis.

In the interim – and to avoid anything burning out – one could remove the wiper fuse – this is of course entirely your choice and needs be be precisely timed with a break in the rain to get you to the breakers yard 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

don’t think it’s the rain sensor as the wipers don’t switch off (the rain sensor only operates if the stalk is in intermittent setting)

the motors seem to be around the £100 mark

dull

m0nster2
    Free Member

MrMichaelW..
    Probably correct but, like I say, could be that it (the sensor/switch interface) is dodgy I have seen this happen very recently.

However .. probability (I suggest 8/10) is that motor park plate/switch is corroded which means that the ‘turn me off’ signal from the stalk doesn’t get to (the right part of) the motor.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

which i presume is non serviceable ie a replacement motor is the only option?

coffeeking
    Free Member

You can usually strip them down and clean them, but that’s about it – they dont sell spare internal parts AFAIK.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks

flange
    Free Member

Mike you bellend – give German Swedish and French a call if you need parts. I’ve been using them for years and they’ve always been cheaper than anywhere else without the associated risk of using a scrappers.

Is this the Passat you’ve had for ages? I thought it was newer than 2000?

Love you long time

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ah mr flange

GSF don’t do wiper motors for anything after ’98

they’ve also just cost me £60 by supplying RUBBISH brake pads that rattled

it is indeed the one we’ve had for aged

hows the back?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i think i scared the poltergeist away by approaching the car with a Haynes manual, a tool box and a look of intent

they work fine now

as you were

flange
    Free Member

Back is good mate, ever since i stopped throwing myself down flights of steps/looking at maps on the back seat of my car it seems to have stopped hurting.

Did you put a small amount of copper grease on the back of the pads before you put them on?

See, you wouldn’t have this problem if you bought shonky old MkII golfs like me.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

greased em good

the tolerances are all wrong. in their defence they were £40 cheaper than the ones from a VW dealer

i shall be sending some sand

flange
    Free Member

Tough love

alpin
    Free Member

happened on my seat. same gizmos as vw once peeled back.

thought it was funny at first as turning on and off would solve the problem till they’d turn themselves on and could only turn off by pulling out the fuse.

it wasn’t the motor that was buggered, just the switch/arm behind steering wheel that needed replacing.

cost €140 at vw garage to get sorted.

**** cars……$$$$

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘VW passat: wipers have got a poltergeist. HELP’ is closed to new replies.