VW Golf MK3 owners, a couple of questions for you!

Home Forum Chat Forum VW Golf MK3 owners, a couple of questions for you!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • VW Golf MK3 owners, a couple of questions for you!
  • Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Just bought a MK3 Golf CL TDi over the weekend, VGC, one owner, 70k miles etc! Chuffed with it so far.

Anyway. How do you fellow MK3 Golf owners transport your bikes on your cars? Been using Thule roofbars and 591 Proride bike carriers on my previous car, but I can’t see that Thule do a roofbar kit to fit the MK3 Golf (mine has a sunroof sadly) so looks like that idea is out the window (unless you can inform me otherwise). So what’s reccomended for when the bike/s have to go on the car rather than inside?

Also, anyone had the TDi chipped at all? Was it worthwhile? Mine’s a 95 model car, with the 90bhp TDi engine. Have heard chipping results in about 115-120bhp, a sizable torque increase, and 5% better MPG or so. Anyone with any experience care to tell me whether these claims are true or not?

Oh, and anyone got some 4 stud alloys to fit? Preferably only standard size (14″), or possibly 15’s, preferably standard fitment from another Golf, but tasteful aftermarket wheels (as long as sensible size) considered.

Cheers

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

thule do bars and feet, i’ve got some in the shed.

i generally drop the seats and throw the bike in the back with the front wheel off.

snaps

I’ve chipped every diesel car I’ve owned – well worth it.
    Currently running a Seat Ibiza 130 sport with hybrid turbo & custom remap making 227bhp – goes well!
    For bike duties I have a Vectra Dti with a £70 plug in tuning box from Dragon tuning – pulls much better & mpg up from 51 to over 60 on a run.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

ok cheers jam bo

On Thule’s site it says they’re for cars without sunroof only though. Do you know if this matters as long as I kept the sunroof closed?

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

mine has a sunroof and its fine. i can even open it with the bars on.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Sound

Cheers jam bo

spooky_b329

Has your engine got an ECU? My Citroen (1997) had a mechanical engine, if its the same as that you could get it tuned but there is no chip to fiddle with!

snaps

If your engine is a PD type then there is plenty of scope for chipping it.
    Loads of info http://www.tdisport.com/ & http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

It’s pre PD, it’s a 95 Golf TDi with only 90bhp.

amaan

OK, Sorry for the off topic reply, but your thread reminded me.

I’ve been meaning to ebay these bits for some time and thougth I’d offer em here.

I have a genuine VAG (not fibre glass one like ebay) Golf mk3 GTi/VR6 grill (inc bottom bit) for sale, one slat sligly loose but this doesn’t affect appearance, in black.

£10.00 collected £18.50 posted

And a Haynes Manual in VGC £5 collected or £8 posted

Or both posted for £23.50

can do pics

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

amaan

If the Haynes Manual includes all Mk3 Golfs, diesel and petrol, I’ll certainly take it off your hands.

What’s your email address? Mine is @me.com">mbonnes@me.com so drop me an email.

GNARGNAR

It’ll probably be the 1Z which has an ECU but is very limited in terms of tunabilty . You might be able to squeeze more power with an upgraded turbo, fuel pump, intercooler etc but the increase will be minimal considering the costs.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

It’ll probably be the 1Z which has an ECU but is very limited in terms of tunabilty . You might be able to squeeze more power with an upgraded turbo, fuel pump, intercooler etc but the increase will be minimal considering the costs.

Without going out and poking my head under the bonnet and looking at the engine block, a quick look here suggests you’re probably right.

Not looking for any serious tuning, was merely wondering if it was worth just getting it chipped at all, and if so, who by? A little more torque/power and economy would of course always be welcomed. If I’d bought a car after mental horsepower, I don’t think I’d have bought a 1.9TDi Golf to start with! 😉

amaan

yep the manual is for Golf and Vento feb 92 to 96 Petrol and Diesel.

I’ve had a Mk3 1.6GL(Preg), 1.8GL(Nreg) and a 1.9GL TDI (Rreg), I used the manual with all of them, mostly for minor repairs, like the electric window mechanism which is notorious on the mk3.

dooosuk

Ebay for your wheels if you must. I once picked up 4 Mk3 alloys with decent tyres for £20. Sold them at a big profit 🙂

I just used to put the seats down and throw the bikes in the back.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Having bugger all luck finding some standard alloys on Ebay, and my local scrappy only had some 5 stud GTi wheels!

Regarding throwing bikes in the back, that’s ok for 2 bikes and 2 people, might need to carry 3 or 4 bikes and people at times though still.

Premier Icon PePPeR
    Subscriber

Mk 3 Golfs are for gayers!

Stick a tow bar on the back and use that old rack you bought through me?

WTF

Only Mk3 that was any good was the VR6
    Thats why I own one but as the body is prone to tin worm so the engine shall live on in my Mk2 instead 8)
    Gayers indeed. 😆

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Dull, dull, dull cars. I have a Mk3 8-valve GTi as a run around after my Mk2 died and to save the Corrado from the indignity of carrying bikes. Come the spring, the tweaked engine from the Mk2 is going into another sound Mk2 and the Mk3 is getting sold. To be fair, it’s comfy and surprisingly fast on the motorway and does almost 40mpg, but it doesn’t deserve the GTi badge 🙁

I can only begin to imagine how dull the diesel one must be…

crashvictim

bugger that diesels are great I have a Mk2 16v gti mad as a box of frogs, my dad has a MK3 diesel its great lots of T and yes chip it properly and you will get more T and BHP but Loose a bit of mpg not alot thoe. There are loads of diesels in the vw cup.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

I can only begin to imagine how dull the diesel one must be…

LOL

It’s alright actually! Ok, it’s not gonna set the world alight, but so what, it’s cheap, reliable (hopefully) transport. I’ve had a few fast cars over the years, but I’m not fussed these days (mainly cos any fast car pales into insignificance to riding a fast motorbike!). It’s not too bad anyway, 90bhp and 150lb/ft of torque means 0-60 in 12 seconds and 110mph apparently. Quicker than a lot of cars on the road anyway, and with all that torque in a relatively small car, it’s effortless to drive.

You’re right though, the 2 litre 8v GTi did not deserve the badge for sure.

snaps

My car was tuned by the same company that did this car http://www.allardmotorcompany.com/filestore/list/documents/Allard-A3-TDI-quattro.pdf
    You can’t beleive how quick it is, there are a couple of quick PDs around Devon, theres a guy in Dawlish with a 260bhp Skoda fabia!

Spongebob

I have a surplus thule footpack and “Aero” anodized aluminium bars for the mk3 if you are interested.

The mk3 is a sound car and the TDi engine is one of the most efficient engines on the market. You made a good purchase.

chewkw

How much did you pay for it?

🙂

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Spongebob, what’s your email address? Certainly interested mate.

chewkw, got it for about the “going rate” for an average condition car, but this is A1 and with only 70k on the clock, it’s under half the average milage for a car of its age!

just seen this- had my MK3 declared SORN a few weeks ago due to 3 pages of MOT problems- seems that the MOT centre found a page and a half worth of leaking (or corroded) brake pipes, along with other costly problems- there was a fair amount of duck tape on the boot by the end to keep it watertight!. can’t complain, got it free last year and it served me well.

anyway, have left it in scotland (while i am now in Norfolk)- i believe it had standard alloys on it, although can’t remember if they were 4 or 5 bolt. also don’t know if it has been sent to the scrappy yet (it was due to go soon), but if you’re interested then send me an email (a.pattinsonATuea.ac.uk) and i will find out any details you need. i can’t sort out any postage, but sure i could persuade someone to go on a short journey if you’re in the SW Scotland area?

thought it was a great car- had very little power, but still racked up close to 40mpg on an engine that was ticking away over 160k (1992 Mk3 1.4L), and regular trips up and down the country seemed to be causing few problems. think the only problems i ever encountered were the rusty tailgate (apparently quite common on golfs?); and a tempermental speedo, which i found discussed quite a bit on the web (think it was a golf forum or similar).
    Enjoy!

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

My old Mk 3 you could get a (short travel) hardtail upright in the boot diagonally bars at the seat back and rear mech in the back corner. Couldn’t do that with the Mk 5.

As for tuning it, I’d say leave it alone. Unlikely to get a really cost-effective result. I had one for 3 years and 60k miles (1.8 petrol 75bhp), broke down once when the starter motor failed other than that it was ace as straightforward reliable transport. Wish I’d never got rid of it, as the car I had after was a right pup.

Roofracks are fine with sunroofs on those by the way. Certainly never had an issue with my genuine VW one (I might even still have one at my folks place).

Subscriber

I’m not disputing that the Mk3 Golf is efficient and capable and all that, but if you actually enjoy driving, it’s unlikely – with the possible exception of the VR6 and the 16v if you also uprate the suspension – to do much for you. And if you want a VR6, buy a Corrado instead…

I used to ride fast motorbikes, a lot, hence my underlying tendency to think that anything on wheels should be enjoyable. I was going to get a diesel, but went for the 8-valve GTi instead, to be fair it’s nice and grunty low down, but has the top end of a retirement bungalow and handles like a blancmange even with lowered suspension. I pine for my Mark 2 GTi 🙁 Fortunately it’ll be back, or at least the engine, manifold, chip, and other bits will 🙂

dooosuk

Didn’t realise there was so many old Dub fans on here. I just got my 90 spec Mk2 16v out of storage after 3 years. Forgotten how good a car it was 🙂

Any of you guys use clubgti.com? Have often thought there’s some similar threads that pop up on both forums.

dooosuk

Oh and mboy…Mk2 alloys will also fit your Mk3 if you didn’t already know (and ones from a whole host of others VAG cars..4×100 is the fitment you’re looking for if I remembered correctly)

Subscriber

Didn’t realise there was so many old Dub fans on here. I just got my 90 spec Mk2 16v out of storage after 3 years. Forgotten how good a car it was [:)]

Any of you guys use clubgti.com? Have often thought there’s some similar threads that pop up on both forums.

I use Club GTi sporadically, mainly for technical stuff, though not much recently. The Corrado forum at the-corrado.net is briliant if you own a ‘rado. Just a really friendly, helpful bunch, especially what with Corrados being so reliable and all 😉

I really do miss my 8-valve Mk2 – had a TSR engine, branch manifold, chip, full Jetex and lots of other bits, but underside got hideously corroded. Plan is to use the Mk3 over winter, then assuming I’ve not died of boredom, to find a sound Mk2, ideally with a blown motor, and transplant all the good bits from the old one onto it. Then get it properly undersealed, rust proofed etc.

I’m not really into the whole dub scene thing, but they’re just brilliant to drive. I have a mate who used to own a Ferrari and took him for a quick blatt over the Snake Pass in the GiT. After about a minute he just looked at me and went, ‘Jeesuz this thing’s fast’. But it’s as much that they feel fast in a way that modern cars just don’t unless you buy something really stupid.

Sigh…

dooosuk

We sound similar BWD. Never been to any meets and not a regular poster on the Dub forums either…only the technical areas when things go wrong!

I agree though, I think it’s a feeling of fast, rather than being blindingly quick. There’s plenty of new stuff just as quick, if not quicker (and some surprising cars which you wouldn’t think are). Mk2 still feels so poised and great to drive though and there’s nothing like getting it on 3 wheels as the chasis flexes. 🙂

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

The old mechanical diesel engines are the most tunable thing going. If you can find one. Throw a few bits at it, turn a few screws and 70bhp becomes about 230.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

damnit. after reading this thread i’ve realised the last 80,000 miles in my mk3 8v GTi have been slow, badly handled and boring.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Alloys now sorted, got some old skool OZ 6 spokes coming off ebay!

Had a word with the “Derv Doctor” over the phone this afternoon, he said that my 90bhp TDi can be remapped to 120bhp, or with the larger injectors off the 110bhp model fitted, be remapped to 145bhp and a shedload of torque! That’s with no other modifications! And in each case, a “guaranteed” improvement on economy too.

That would certainly put the 8V Mk3 Gti into perspective. Though of course, you can have fun in ANY car. I used to rag my 1100cc Saxo around a few years ago like I stole it, and it was huge fun, despite only 60bhp and skinny tyres.

WTF

I use CGTI regularly.
    Mk2 16v and a Mk3 VR are my cars.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘VW Golf MK3 owners, a couple of questions for you!’ is closed to new replies.