Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 150 total)
  • VW California – Beach / SE or Alternative ?
  • NZCol

That club joker is mental, lovely, but mental. It is like that extendable VW they had recently where the back slid out double length. Must be heavy as buggery with all that kit in the back, the Cali is no lightweight. Beach does look good, we looked at one long and hard but decided that the Cali works, i usually just stick my bike in it if I am alone, front wheel off it goes in with the back wheel just inbetween the seats.

burko73

That beach does look great for bike carrying duties but the bed just doesn’t look like the sort of place I’d like to spend a week!

Horses for courses I guess and depends on intended use. I don’t think I could cope with a beach after an se.

Mintman
    Free Member

is like that extendable VW they had recently where the back slid out double length.

That’s the Danbury Conversions Doubleback. I’m looking at getting one of their “Surf” conversions.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gribble
    Free Member

Excuse my ignorance, but do the seats slide forward to the same extent in both the California Beach and SE? Seems a big plus point to me, that rear load area (in squeler’s post) is massive.

burko73

Yep, the rear seats come forward right up to a position behind the drivers/ passengers seats so that there’s enough room for someone to sit on them in the forward position. Looks like the same position as the beach pics. I’ll try and put some interior shots up later.

With the se you obviously lose some width due to the cupboards, which also include the gas/ water storage/ fridge/ storage etc.

scuttler

burko – you forgot the kitchen sink 😆

owenh

I’ve got a Beach and been very happy with it over the year and a half I’ve had it so far. There are two seating variants in the Beach: a 3 seater rear bench like Squealers pictured above and 2 seater rear bench + storage box one. I went for the 2 seater as I don’t need to carry loads of people and it left me more space to take the storage box out and replace it with a kitchen pod and 12/240v coolbox. On both variants the seats can slide right forward (completely up to the front seats if you remove a stopper in the floor rail).
    The lower bed in the 2 seater bench Beach is lower and flatter than the one in Squealers photos, same setup as the SE. It still needs a bit of extra padding to be comfortable though. However unless it’s very cold I would use the upstairs bed in preference, its bigger and more comfortable.

Normally with a road (or TT) bike I transport it sat on the rear multiflex board (front wheel off). With MTBs they usually go on a tailgate bike rack to keep all the mud outside the van. Someone in VW thought it was a good idea to partner an outdoor/camping vehicle with light grey seat trim! Rather than the VW rack I went for the Atera tailgate version, after the initial setup I can put it on or take it off the van in less than 5 minutes which is quicker than it used to take me to put roof bars & rack on my previous (grey estate) car.

scotsman
    Free Member

Tlr, the offer still stands, if you tell me your email we can arrange.

the_lecht_rocks

simonkeyessixtynine AT gmail DOT com

note the sixtynine is 69

🙂

deepreddave
    Free Member

Can’t believe the residuals on these sometimes. It’s making me think about investing/spending a lot more than I would normally! I’m after a 6 or 8 seater to do >5k miles per annum hence having £20k+ stood on the drive defies my usual ‘car’ logic…

DavidB
    Free Member

Does anyone know of a decent dealer down South where I could have a look at an SE?

pictonroad

See my hire link above, big Cali dealer on the south coast.

the_lecht_rocks

still undecided, but looking like we will venture to the campervan show at the NEC in October.

when’s the T6 coming ??? 😯

scotsman
    Free Member

T6 panel van out in October, rumors are there will not be a T6 California, apparently VW are in talks with Westfalia about doing all future campers for VW.

the_lecht_rocks

folks – looks like mercedes benz are bringing in the new marco polo activity at a competitive price. thoughts ?

NZCol

Not into the UK though so you would need to source it overseas. I saw a prior version a few weeks back in Oban, had a good look at it as did the owner with my Cali. Different, not quite as much space strangely and less well put together, he decided he wanted my van more which said it all.

the_lecht_rocks

nzcol – they are bringing the activity in first [beach equivalent] with the full fat version thereafter, price is also competitive !

waihiboy
    Free Member

I HATE YOU ALL!!!

sorry, not jealous at all…

aim to get some sort of transporter in the next year.

can i slight hi jack…

the aim is to do a good few european trips, myself, the wife and our daugter who’s currently 4

i’d obviously buy a model with the 2 person passenger bench upfront, but i’ve heard they are dead uncomfortable on long runs.

1 – is this true?

2 – is it posisble to fit two seperate front passenger seats of better quality? I’m guessing the cab is just not wide enough

cheers

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve had mine a fortnight now. Twin captains chairs up front with arm rests is the perfect way to travel I’ve found. Its like driving a sofa around. Its flippin brilliant.

And heres a pic for all you big wheel/lowered suspension etc haterz:

NZCol

Apologies, last I saw MB Uk said it wasn’t being brought in. Might be worth a look but still reckon the Cali is spot on.

the_lecht_rocks

iagree the Cali is a cracker, but it is due an upgrade and the MB has literally stole the upgrade “thunder”……

the_lecht_rocks

iagree the Cali is a cracker, but it is due an upgrade and the MB has literally stole the upgrade “thunder”……

burko73

Why upgrade it, it works and still looks good.

Pictonrd – I can’t believe a t4 102 bhp high top can out drag a 180 bhp Cali up a hill. Perhaps the owner wasn’t trying or you’ve got some serious tune up going. I used to have a std 102 ex aa t4 with a decat and couple of bits and my t5.1 Cali 180 is waaaay quicker.

afrothunder88

i’d obviously buy a model with the 2 person passenger bench upfront, but i’ve heard they are dead uncomfortable on long runs.

1 – is this true?

I’m 6’2 and have just done Bristol > South France in a mates T5 with the bench seat, I found sitting in the front bench and driving really comfortable, more so than my car annoyingly.

The middle bench seat does not have a lot of legroom for anyone other than a child though!

Riofer
    Free Member

So TLR any update, did you go for a California or are you waiting for the Merc? Still deliberating here 🙂

NZCol

Ah yes interested here as well. Love my diesel heater, sit and have a cuppa, ping the remote, 20 mins later go out to a completely warm frost free van ! riding the other night i got back to van which was warm as had programmed heating and had a nice cup of tea.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Going to get an Eberspacher (sp?) fitted to ours next year so we can use it all next winter. Bilstein B14s getting done soon after xmas too. And MFSW.

pete68
    Free Member

Not a California, but just given our new vw a spin. Hillside cromford, lwb. Got good use of the diesel heater. Got a built in toilet cassette at the back which is handy.[URL=http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/petetallboy/media/20141204_101522_zpss3omiifc.jpg.html][/URL]

Riofer
    Free Member

My deliberation didn’t last long. Beach on its way soon 😀

ElShalimo

Riofer – we need photos

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘VW California – Beach / SE or Alternative ?’ is closed to new replies.