Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • VW 1.6 TDi Issues
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Afternoon all,
    In Nov I bought a 2017 A3 TDI with the 1.6 tdi engine 9main dealer, 12 month warrantee). I recently noticed it was rough on idle and the car would feel as if it was struggling on acceleration (occasionally).
    Took it to the dealer who diagnosed dirty injectors and put an additive in .
    So lots of info online on the old VW 1.6 injector issues but nothing on later injector/engine issues. So I am wondering if this is the start of an injector failure, or if its a common problem with these VW engines? Im going to be doing a fair few miles on the car and reliability is something I need. (the car is currently on 47k)

somafunk

Quite possibly an egr issue so id take it to a local vw/audi tuner and get them to diagnose it, if it is then get them to do an egr delete (very simple) and remap to inform the ecu.

Where are you based?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I’m in Carlisle.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    joshvegas
    Free Member

if it is then get them to do an egr delete (very simple)

Which is an MOT fail right there

abingham

Is that because of the increased emissions?

duncancallum

If found yes. Same as cutting the dpf out.

I cant believe the idea the dealer threw a bottle of cleaner through as a warranty fix

somafunk

No it is not, you are thinking of an dpf delete which is rather different and will fail an mot

Carlisle egr delete here

matt_outandabout

EGR or manifold clogged is a ‘easy’ diagnose.

Iffy injectors / clogged injectors again should be easy to diagnose.

Both involve some actual nuts and bolts taking engine apart, and both involve significant cost for the dealer to sort if there is something real wrong.

I wonder if ‘dirty injectors and fling a cleaner in’ is an attempt to punt the problem beyond the warranty period?

Whatever it is, Italian tune up should be applied…

molgrips
    Free Member

if its a common problem with these VW engines?

It depends what ‘it’ is.

PLEASE DON’T delete the EGR. This is a back street hack, and on a modern engine could easily cause more trouble than it’s worth on a modern engine. It’ll also spew more nasty NOx out of the exhaust which is a serious problem these days.

It could be all sorts of things. An EGR shouldn’t just coke up on its own, unless the engine is really smoking and the DPF is hiding the fact. The valve itself can fail like any part but it’s a pretty easy and cheap thing to replace. The engine could be smoking due to something like a boost pipe leak or a bad MAF. You won’t necessarily get a fault code on a MAF you might just get a bad reading.

As Duncan says, you’ve got a warranty, make them fix it. If the cleaner didn’t work then take it back, this is what warranties are for.

somafunk

It is a £500 minimum (more at main dealers) to replace the egr valve on 1.6tdi engines as it is a 4-5hr job, if under warranty then get dealer to replace it.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Engine isn’t smoking but I have noticed it does a lot (about 1 per week) DPF re-gen. I do a 100 mile commute on A roads, so its not around town driving either.

somafunk

Could be the previous owner used the car for short journeys, Id bet money on an EGR solenoid failure and dpf soot build up – if covered by the warranty then dealer should repair.

A dpf should not attempt a regen on a weekly basis, try holding it in 3rd/4th gear (above 2500rpm) for an extended run to force a regen at high temps/load

parkesie
    Free Member

If a mot tester spots a egr delete it’s a mot fail.
    Egr clogging or the throttle body clogging are common. Removing and cleaning works only so much.

molgrips
    Free Member

Engine isn’t smoking

If it were smoking you wouldn’t see the smoke, because of the DPF. What would happen is the DPF would be getting clogged quickly.

but I have noticed it does a lot (about 1 per week) DPF re-gen

Hmm.

tony07
    Free Member

I thought it was generally accepted that vws would do a Regen once per tank fill or so. My 2.0tdi certainly does. That was both before lockdown with a 100mile round commute and post lockdown with nipping about and longer journey once a week

joshvegas
    Free Member

No it is not, you are thinking of an dpf delete which is rather different and will fail an mot

yes it is, no i’m not. Its a straight fail if it is noticed.

Its a dick move

somafunk

Guess I’m a dick then

matt_outandabout

I thought it was generally accepted that vws would do a Regen once per tank fill or so. My 2.0tdi certainly does.

That is a lot compared to my experiences in Touran, Galaxy and V70…

I’ve never got why dashboards don’t have a ‘regen happening, don’t turn off’ light.

chickenman

Well the notorious Mazda 2.2 diesel engine does a regen every 250km or something, wished I bought a petrol 6 instead.

Pieface

My 2015 2 litre diesel VW engine has a regen light to tell you when it’s happening, as well as a warning light to say its required. Probably happens every 6 months or so after an absence of longer drives.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yes it is, no i’m not. Its a straight fail if it is noticed.

More chance of the car falling off the ramp than that happening though.

kirby700
    Free Member

1st things 1st, get an app called vagdpf. Buy a obd11 reader and check the dpf status.
    My seat leon same engine, regens every 225 miles regardless how I drive it.
    It starts at 87% then depending if I’m on a motorway it’ll go down to 8% full.

That way you’ll know if it’s OK.

garage-dweller

I thought it was generally accepted that vws would do a Regen once per tank fill or so. My 2.0tdi certainly does.

Depends if we’re talking (1) the kind of background regen that happens when driving normally without much visible evidence (no warning lights on) and you just notice your range number drop rapidly for 10 minutes, or (2) the more intrusive version of that where it’s still no light on and it runs like a bag of spanners at idle and in the auto tries to drive around in 2nd at 40 (1 and 2 may be technically the same) or (3) the “please spank me up the motorway before I go in to limp mode and here’s a warning light type.

I had a 2.0 2012dsg Passat, often got a couple of (1) or (2) per tank, never saw a (3) in 60,000miles

As for the OP – is it a pre adblue/emissions fix car? I cannot recall what the cut off was but there was a suggestion that the nature of the fix made the cars more sooty (=more regens) but also stressed the EGR valves with them being used to bring combustion temperatures down to limit the NOX. I think I have that the right way round but in short more soot, more egr operation/stress.

I’d keep on at the dealer on this until sorted.

Not embarrassed to be corrected as I got rid of mine a while back and I’m fishing around in my memory a bit.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘VW 1.6 TDi Issues’ is closed to new replies.