Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Vulgar Cars
  • plus-one

Just my opinion but these two are horrendous.

Range Rover Velar
    Bentley Bentayga

ayjaydoubleyou

I find makers of luxury saloons and sports cars trying to make SUVs to be vulgar in appearance.

Porsche Cayenne
    Jaguar F pace
    Bentley and Rolls Royce’s attempts
    All the odd numbered BMW X series

tomhoward

Aston DBX

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    white101

As above, bloody awful things. The X6 is hideous. I cant stand the look of the iPace from Jaguar either.

binners

Someone who lives in the posh houses at the top of our road has got one of these.

A Lamborghini Urus. Just look at it!!

It looks like it was designed by a five year old schoolboy. It easily trumps those mentioned already that are in much the same vein

misteralz
    Free Member

I’ve softened on the Bentagaya, and don’t mind the Velar. All even-numbered BMW Xs are gross, though. As is the Aston DBX, the Rolls Tulliallan, and the Lamborghini Urine. The biggest Mercedes thing is horrible as well.

jimw
    Free Member

I am not keen on the LR Evoke either. I agree with the above, The BMW X6, particularly in white, is horrible

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of SUVs, I find the majority of them a little chintzy and well, bulbous. I’m also two and a half decades too old to look vaguely cool in a hot hatchback.

corroded
    Free Member

They’re all tasteless but I’m not the target market. They’ll sell tonnes in Dubai and Cheshire.

lawman91

For the most part I agree, they’re horrible things. There’s a few Bentayga’s round here in North Wales and they look chuffing awful. However, I do like the I-Pace. It’s not really an SUV in my mind, more of a supersize, luxury electric hatchback. If I had the means, I’d have one, that or a Polestar 2.

JAG

I work for one of the companies that makes two of the cars mentioned so far. This…

They’ll sell tonnes

…is why they are made. So many vulgar people with overloaded wallets. They need our help :o)

reluctantjumper

Most modern stuff looks vulgar to me with their oversized wheels, fake vents, overly butch design and all the bollocks that is AMG-Line, M-Sport Design and fake exhaust nonsense. Most SUV’s look awful, normal hatchbacks and family cars all have to be ‘sporty’ and aggressive and it all seems style over substance. Much more of a fan of the simpler, understated looks from the late 90’s and early 00’s. That may explain why I have a Fabia!

This new Audi shows what I think is everything wrong with modern vehicle design:

Massive wheels, aggressive styling, touchscreens for basic controls, massive body and style over substance. It may well be a very capable EV that looks more normal but why does it have a stupidly long bonnet when there’s no engine under there? The thing doesn’t even fit in a standard parking bay as Jonny demonstrates for half the video!

richmtb

Pretty much any SUV but particular bile is reserved for SUVs with a “coupe” body style.

X6, Q8, RR Velar, Mini Paceman, X4, Juke etc etc.

but this is the clear winner

endoverend

Yeah, the front of that Lamborghini Urus appears to use the same design language as the back of my fridge.

alanf
    Free Member

They mostly look like badly designed built up shoes, turned into roller skates.

The more you look at the Lambo, the more amazing* it becomes…

* not in a good way

endoverend

See also Rolls Royce Cullinan. Why anyone one drop a quarter mill on something that looks like an overinflated London taxi is beyond me. Ugly as sin.
    RR Cullinan

johndoh
    Free Member

Agree re. the Rolls Royce – that is fricking horrendous. I have always detested the Evoke convertible although the picture above with the roof down doesn’t tell the full story…

thepurist

Not sure if being electric is any form of compensation for the rest of it.

deltacharlie72
    Free Member

The proportions of that Range Rover coupé give it the look of one of those electric toy ride-on cars for spoilt toddlers. It’s hideous!

Maybe that’s not that far off their demographic, come to think of it.

the-muffin-man

…there’s a theme developing here!! 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve always assumed they must be really nice to be sitting inside otherwise why would anyone buy them?

funkmasterp

That’s a great description for a lot of modern cars tbh. I’m not a massive car fan but find most modern offerings to be either bland or of the hideous orthopaedic roller skate school of design

johndoh
    Free Member

Glad no-one has called out my SUV yet 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

for vulgarity masonary is number one

how about a 2 million quid car and the charging them an arm and a leg to glue on some of halfords finest

the-muffin-man

I will own up to owning one of these!…

…it is used for purpose though – to tow a horse box and chuck all the associated horsey crap in the back off. And it was the cheapest one we could get that could do the job. The wife drives it, I try and give it a wide berth as it feels like driving a barge! 🙂

hatter

There’s a blacked out Bentayga with some daft plastic body kit all over it that lives outside an old ex-council-semi in the estate up the road from me.

It doesn’t exactly scream ‘purchased with legally acquired funds and competently driven’ to put it mildly.

porter_jamie

pah, my old allegro had a chrome strip. well, until it fell off.

oldtennisshoes

I quite like the bimmer X2

IdleJon

That’s a great description for a lot of modern cars tbh

My father’s generation used the same description to complain about the first Ford Sierra. I’ll add in ‘they are all getting too big’, ‘my wife drives one and I drive a proper car’ and ‘kids these days – nobody knows how to adjust a carburettor properly anymore’. 😀

razorrazoo

There’s a white LR Defender near where I live, it’s a truly horrible thing in the flesh.

bensales
    Free Member

Vulgar is not the same as ugly. There definitely a lot of ugly cars here, but taste is subjective.

I’d posit any Rolls Royce is vulgar but not ugly. As a piece of design and engineering they’re quite beautiful and exquisitely made, but as a statement they’re utterly vulgar.

johndoh
    Free Member

There’s a white LR Defender near where I live, it’s a truly horrible thing in the flesh.

The new shape one? If so, I agree, they are grim.

endoverend

That X2 looks like someone’s taken a normal hatchback and driven a riser wedge into its backside. Look at the size of its rear door aperture, what are they trying to squeeze in there, a hippo? Too many confused folds, creases, ledges. Ugly it is, Pininfarina it ain’t.

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s weird isn’t it – I have always disliked BMW ‘SUV’ vehicles even though I don’t mind their saloons/estates etc. Then there’s Lexus – their saloons are bloody awful but I quite like the styling of their SUVs.

Drac

The thing doesn’t even fit in a standard parking bay as Jonny demonstrates for half the video!

Not much does. Car have got bigger parking spaces haven’t. There’s a car park in my home town that redone a few years ago, even a fiesta only just fits. It’s notorious for people scraping other cars as the spaces are so tight, that and people take no heed.

Anyway that GT E-Tron may look like it has pointless designs but it doesn’t, there’s a lot in the design to make it as efficient as possible while maintaining a super car look.

northernmatt

All SUVs are vulgar pointless horrific monstrosities and nothing shall change my mind. I can’t think if a single one that I Would buy (if I could afford such a thing).

RoterStern
    Free Member

I think the BMW X6 takes some beating. Suge a huge car with only seating for four. I had a client who was the area manager for BMW and even she said they were an horrendous vanity project when they first came out. Here in Germany they seem to be very popular with body builder types with tribal tatoos.

wait4me

The X2 is pretty awful. Lease on wife’s one is thankfully coming to an end. Less practical and a far far far less pleasant drive than the 1 series she had previously. I happily grabbed the keys for a spin in that. I’ve probably driven the X2 half a dozen times in 3 years. How they can make a car ride that firmly but so wallowy in the corners is beyond me. Thankfully she has seen the light and has moved away from SUV misery for the next one.

razorrazoo

The new shape one? If so, I agree, they are grim.

Yep, in white with black decals on it.  Proper cockwomble’s car.

richmtb

How they can make a car ride that firmly but so wallowy in the corners is beyond me.

Because physics. If you raise the centre of gravity of a car by making it taller then it will roll more in the corners. Just one of the reasons SUVs are a stupid idea

Most of the premium SUVs are just badge engineering too. In order of conspicuous consumption, the Bentley Betangya, Lamborghini Urus, Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q8 are all based on a Volkswagen Tuareg

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Vulgar Cars’ is closed to new replies.