Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Vulcan!
  • midlifecrashes

I’m stood on front of XH558 now. Engines on!

MrOvershoot

Bet you’ve got a stiffy 😉

midlifecrashes

She’s in the air. Due back Finningley about an hour and a half.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    twoniner
    Free Member

Thats one sight Im gutted to miss.

The Vulcan not the stiffy 😯

derek_starship
    Free Member

It’s I’m standing not I’m stood

I’ll let you off as the blood has drained from your thinky bits and gone to your member
    😉

CountZero

And it’s ‘in front of’, but I’ll let you off for the reasons stated above by Mr Starship. 😆

midlifecrashes

Yes, apologies for the lapse in standards earlier. Had just taken my son out for a spin in the new car to find cake and was passing Finningley, thought we’d swing by the hangar to see she had been brought out, not knowing the test flight was today, to get there with twenty minutes to go and crowds massing. Only had the phone for a camera though.

Popped back for landing later on, they switched crews and the second crew took her back up, did a loop to York, then did a bump and run before looping round and landing again. Took my camera this time.

Cougar

That first picture there in your latest post is full of win. I’d have that on my wall.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Had the pleasure of seeing this last year; i live not far from Woodford where they built the Vulcan’s (sorry if incorrect use of an apostrophe) and it done a low fly by one Sunday afternoon to say cheerio to Woodford. What an amazing aircraft; glad i seen it at least once in my life.

fbk
    Free Member

I used to live near Woodford too – great memories of the huge, window shaking, rumble during test days and riding round the back lanes for the airshow.

Can’t describe how excited I am that she’s coming to the Welshpool Airshow of all places! (cunningly piggy-backed onto Cosford 🙂 ).

TuckerUK
    Free Member

…then did a bump and run…

I think ‘touch and go’ might of been the term you were looking for, unless that’s only reserved for light nimble aircraft!

nosedive
    Free Member

great pictures. very jealous. what a beauty

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Am I the only STWer who saw the four Vulcan scramble at Finningley in 1977? Queens silver jubilee show which also unveiled the Tornado to the general public.
    Showing my age now, but that scramble was insane. Can’t find any footage of it anywhere, surprised no-ones uploaded some poor quality cine stuff of it.

matt_outandabout

I remember lying in grandads garden, at the end of Waddington runway, watching them take off and land all day long one summer…

MrGFisher
    Free Member

The Vulcan will be at Cosford Air show on June 9th.

brokensoul
    Free Member

I remember Dad taking us to Finningley to watch the Vulcans, it must’ve been in the 60s.
    Thanks for the photos & the memories, Dave.

thehustler
    Free Member

Cosford ’09 i think

scotroutes

Leuchars 2012 🙂

tomhoward

Going to see it at waddington in July. Can. Not. Wait.

MoreCashThanDash

Was out on a ride with a mate last summer and as we rode in the general direction of East Midlands airport we saw this shape on the horizon coming towards us quite low.

After a few seconds thinking it through, we both looked at each other and said “Isn’t that the ….?”

It was – it had either refuelled at East Mids or done a fly past at the museum bit there. Went past us about a quarter of a mile to our left and still low, looking and sounding amazing.

Two forty-something blokes stood at the roadside waving and whooping at a bloody plane like we were 7 all over again. One of the best things I’ve ever seen, and I was brought up on RAF bases.

Coyote
    Free Member

Saw it at the Southport Airshow a couple of years back. Awesome experience. That and the Tornado on the same day.

zokes
    Free Member

That and the Tornado on the same day.

Having only ever heard the Vulcan, vs nearly being taken off the top of a Lakeland fell by a pair of Tornadoes, I can safely say which is most impressive, and it wasn’t the Tornado!

Very poor planning on my part missing seeing the Vulcan: I was back in the UK and driving down the M4 whilst Farnbrough was on. I really should have insisted to MrsZ that we plan the trip around going…. Something I’ve always wanted to do since I shot outside as a kid after watching it on TV to ask my dad whether we could drive up to Farnworth to watch the planes. I was most disappointed to find out that Farnbrough and Farnworth are not the same place, and that Farnbrough was at the opposite end of the country to us.

Harry_the_Spider

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WL46N60ZWI[/video]

Cool.

runswithscissors

Esselgruntfuttock I was there for the scramble at Queen’s jubilee 1977 something I will never forget……It was invite only I think so won’t be too many of us……..would love to see footage if any exists.

MrOvershoot

Coyote – Member

Saw it at the Southport Airshow a couple of years back. Awesome experience. That and the Tornado on the same day.
    I think you meant the Typhoon? Makes more sense as I was also there.

crazy-legs

I’ve seen the Vulcan several times: Windermere airshow, Leuchars in about 2009 plus a few others that escape me right now.

INcredible sight, I love the low whistle, near silence and stealth flat silhouette as it approaches and then the gates of hell being opened as it comes overhead and pulls up.

Will always make the effort to go and see it, it’s a fantastic sight and won’t be around for ever.

thehustler
    Free Member

For those interested,Vulcan is at th Cosford airshow on Sunday, as will I be 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

Just went all ‘goose-bumpy’ watching that video 😯

Saw the Vulcan @ RAF Fairford in the early 80’s…it did a show with a pair of (I think) GR2 Harriers. The Harriers hovered over the runway and the Vulcan came through, very low, between them and then floored it…I’m not sure my mouth closed all day..

PJM1974
    Free Member

Saw a Vulcan at an airshow (possibly Duxford, more likely Mildenhall) when I was about eight. I remember that it turned and climbed, pointing the four RR (nee Bristol) Olympus engines at the crowd. It felt like I was being shaken bodily by the thing, it put a massive smile on my face.

The only thing to ever top that was when I was in the school playing field in 1983 and formation of 4×4 aircraft overflew around the time of the Queen’s birthday. The first twelve jets were Tornados and Jaguars, however the last quartet were Lightnings. This was the only time I ever saw Lightnings in the air. Awesome.

jamiea
    Free Member

I don’t know much about planes, but I do know that the Vulcan which flew overhead from Wyton a few of years ago was foookinnnn loud!

Cheers,
    Jamie

Drac

Having only ever heard the Vulcan, vs nearly being taken off the top of a Lakeland fell by a pair of Tornadoes, I can safely say which is most impressive, and it wasn’t the Tornado!

Agree Tornado is a bit dull but then I hear them all the time as they do their bombing and low flying around here. Funnily enough I remember being in the Lakes think it was above Ulswater a good few years ago and heard a rumble of an approaching aircraft then it came around the hills screeching passed us, deafening but awesome sound.

boblo
    Free Member

I thought they’d run out money again?

used to see them flying low over the ridge behind Rutland Water. Wow!

jwr

Very cool plane. From Leuchars last year:

Vulcan by jwrfooo, on Flickr

AlwaysHorizontal
    Free Member

Grew up in the NE of Scotland during the 70’s to early 80’s and the area we lived in was used by the RAF for training. From the top of the hill we lived on we could look down onto (well virtually level with the cockpit) as they routinely flew down the valley.
    We also used to get low level cross overs from Jaguar’s, if you saw one coming low towards you you soon learnt to ‘expect’ its partner to be passing over very very soon. Also used to get plenty of Hunters, Phantoms & Shackeltons flying around.
    Shame the RAF let the USAF take it over as F111’s never held the same appeal to me!

scruff
    Free Member

A couple of years ago onee flew right over me pretty low whilst I was on a ride over Cannock Chase, it was on its way to Cosford.

Coyote
    Free Member

Sorry Mr. Overshoot, you are right. 😳

BoardinBob

Looks as though it’ll be at Leuchar’s this year

http://www.airshow.co.uk/whats-on/flying-displays

freddyg
    Free Member

It flew directly over me on Saturday in Grantham. I was on my bike and almost crashed as I craned my neck to see it. Beautiful thing.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Very lucky to live down the road from Elvington airfield. I was sat outside with my 6 year old last summer and felt, as much as heard the Vulcan pass directly overhead and about 500 ft. He was coasting at the time, but a couple of miles further on opened her the engines.
    Proceeded to perform a number of tight turns, climbs and dives. Awesome!
    I still remember seeing a couple in formation, near Scarborough, in my youth performing much the same maneuvers. Happy days.
    Chinooks reasonably regularly fly past. I like the sound from them too.

zokes
    Free Member

I think the Vulcan and the Chinook are about as polar opposite as you can get with aircraft: One looks like it would fly even without engines, the other’s ability to actually get airborne, never mind stay there, is unfeasible to say the least.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Vulcan!’ is closed to new replies.