Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Vuelta: Joaquim Rodriguez…. "Porito"?
  • Digger90
    Free Member

OK, have Googled around, searched Wikipedia etc and can’t find the answer.

Why is Joaquim Rodriguez called “Porito”? Is that his last name (many Spaniards have very long family names) or is it a nickname? If a nickname what does it mean…. can’t find any info at all on this..

munkster
    Free Member

Purito innit? That’ll be google-able I think…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I wondered the same and looked this up the other day- it means “cigar” I think, something to do with him cruising past some teammates and miming having a smoke because it was so easy.

Digger90
    Free Member

Aha!

Thanks…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

His nickname in the professional peloton is Purito, Spanish for little cigar, a name he was given in an early season training camp during his first year as a professional with ONCE-Eroski. When some of his teammates stepped up the pace in a small climb, he passed them making a hand gesture appearing to be smoking a cigar, suggesting he was climbing without much effort. The gesture was not welcomed by his teammates, who made him smoke a real cigar as a hazing ritual later in the evening

fontmoss
    Free Member

Smoking a cigar as a punishment? Not exactly a beasting…

chakaping
    Free Member

Haha, they should have made him smoke the whole packet.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Better Purito than Porrito.

timb34
    Free Member

They made him smoke the cigar in front of the team boss at the communal dinner table. The team had a no smoking policy.

deviant
    Free Member

They’re mad those roadies….

(crap initiation ritual, if there’s no alcohol, nakedness or razors involved then it’s too tame)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Vuelta: Joaquim Rodriguez…. "Porito"?’ is closed to new replies.