Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Voyager leaves solar system
  • flip
    Free Member
    CaptJon
    Free Member

IanMunro
    Free Member

😀
    I was wondering the same.
    Fantastic bit of technology though. Love to read a proper geeky account as to how its worked so well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

phiiiiil

Incidentally this NASA program is really rather awesome for seeing where Voyager has actually got to:

http://eyes.nasa.gov/index.html

It surprised me, it’s really rather a lot further away than I thought it was…

Cougar
    unknown
    Free Member

Now travelling at 100,000 mph and it’ll still be 40000 years before it reaches another star. Makes you think… I wonder if we’ll have settled on a wheel size by then?

Spin
    Free Member

Kind of depends on how you define solar system.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

@spin

Given the numbers and distances involved it doesnt relly matter a poo . its a get long way.

Squidlord
    Free Member

In case this thread isn’t already geeky enough, I’ve been meaning to get myself one of these for the long winter evenings…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I asked Prof Brian Cox at a seminar & he said, ‘Why It’s canny big like’

Thinking about it just gives me a bad head.

*Space is not only queerer than we think, It’s queerer than we CAN think*

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

That’s the sort of question that I assume NASA are better equipped to answer than I am.

glupton1976
    Free Member

For my money the Voyager program is man’s greatest achievement.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Saw a doc on this some weeks ago. Voyager is one of the fullest of winningest things we’ll ever do. I hope someone far away finds it one day.

fasthaggis

Listening to the story on the radio,after the initial “wow” my tiny brain turned to more childish thoughts about whether or not it will meet something that would just zap it 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I hope someone far away finds it one day.

Didn’t that already happen on an early Star Trek film & they sent it back?

Fueled
    Free Member

I like to think that one day, when we all have space ships with hyperdrive, it will still be flying on its current trajectory as a tourist attraction, and people will go and fly alongside it for 5 mins or so to appreciate it.

Do I daydream too much?

Cougar

I’m hoping someone suddenly spots it approaching Earth from the opposite direction.

Northwind

Cougar – Moderator

I’m hoping someone suddenly spots it approaching Earth from the opposite direction.

Oh. Now, if you were NASA, would you not be tempted to make a fake Voyager and discretely fire it into a big wide eliptical orbit while nobody’s looking, so it arrives back in a couple of years?

bigyinn
    Free Member

That would be a VERY expensive lol!

Clover

“It’s utterly astonishing that this fragile artefact, based on 1970s technology, can signal its presence from this immense distance.”

I thought they were talking about me, on T-mobile, in Hebden Bridge.

AlexSimon

Cougar – Moderator

Very good 😀

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Isn’t the solar system defined as that area of space where objects come under the influence of the Sun? Voyager has gone beyond that point now.

I like the silly science graphic on the BBC website. Apparently if I climbed into my car and drove at a steady 60mph, it would take me 22,000 years to get to where Voyager is now.

footflaps

I like the silly science graphic on the BBC website. Apparently if I climbed into my car and drove at a steady 60mph, it would take me 22,000 years to get to where Voyager is now.

The congestion on the Jupiter ring road is terrible, no way would you average 60mph.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Brilliant 🙂 All that to find out space is actually one big ring road – a bit like the M25

Serious question here, but could they bring voyager back to earth? In case they forgot to add an item to the shopping list

stcolin
    Free Member

Mind boggling.

molgrips
    Free Member

The congestion on the Jupiter ring road is terrible, no way would you average 60mph.

Especially with your wheels spinning in the void

Serious question here, but could they bring voyager back to earth? In case they forgot to add an item to the shopping list

Of course not.

Well.. actually.. if they had enough fuel to slow it to a stop relative to the sun, it would still fall back towards the sun eventually. Take a long time though.

miketually
    Free Member

Somebody has already asked “With today’s technology, would it be possible to launch an unmanned mission to retrieve Voyager I?

ell_tell
    Free Member

The sun? Wasn’t it launched from earth?

kimbers

we all know whats gonna happen when voyager reaches another civilization

weve all seen star trek the motion picture, right?

and to be fair the reason it keeps leaving the solar system is because it keeps redefining for us where the solar system ends

ell_tell
    Free Member

miketually – Member

Somebody has already asked “With today’s technology, would it be possible to launch an unmanned mission to retrieve Voyager I?”

Thanks for that Mike. What is now seriously freaking me out though is that my forname and middle name is exactly the same as the person asking the question in your link….

CountZero

bigyinn – Member

That would be a VERY expensive lol!
    But it would be so worth it! 😆

thepurist

http://goldenrecord.org/

If you want to listen to what we sent out there – though of course it’s been overtaken by pretty much everything that’s ever been broadcast so when they get this record the aliens will already be bang up to date with Twerking and Bieber and all that shizzle

BigJohn

Those pictures of man & woman they’ve etched on the outside…

…I fear that an advanced alien race would regard them as “serving suggestion”

scruff
    Free Member

Its great and all that but its now got nothing to look at, apart from interstellar dust, some ice and the odd hot bald wumman.

jedimaster
    Free Member

Loved the article, thanks for sharing 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Its great and all that but its now got nothing to look at, apart from interstellar dust

wobbliscott
    Free Member

They say in space no-one can hear you scream. Well it seems like Voyager has heard something already…

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/nasa-probe-hears–shriek–in-space-as-it-leaves-solar-system-112900776.html?vp=1#T431JDu

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Voyager leaves solar system’ is closed to new replies.