Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Vote fr LGV.S TO BE BANNED FROM OVERTAKING
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

YOu are molgrips and I claim my caravan

zokes
    Free Member

Without lorries you get nothing!

Unless money was invested in a network better suited to mass transportation, say, for instance, a train? They seem quite good at carrying lots of stuff:

Northwind

Thread needs more Molgrips.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zokes
    Free Member

Thread needs more Molgrips.

Indeed – imagine the ‘queue’ there could be behind this:

mnmng
    Free Member

Lorryist here, problems not actually with us wanting to overtake its with the ‘king of the road’ nuggets who won’t click off the cruise control for the whole ten seconds it takes to let another wagon slide past and back in. Any time I have someone taking more than a minute or so or when there is traffic building up I just slow down so everyone can get on their way. Unfortunately the attitude and road craft of some LGV drivers is as poor as most car drivers 😆

1981miked
    Free Member

Ewan.. You presume wrong about working at anti-social hours, what about the city centre store deliveries at 3am.. There was a thread about this bit long ago.

I agree that some could pick the overtaking moment a bit better, as I said I always wait for a good gap in the traffic before pulling out, and same as mnmng I knock off the cruise control to let the quicker lorries past. No point holding everybody up.

Zokes.. Agree that trains are good at carrying stuff, but where are all these tracks going to go? There is always the “not in my back garden” attitude when these things are suggested. And how do you plan to get all that freight to the shops?

parkesie
    Free Member

I drive trucks and cars and ride a bike I hate myself and try to run myself over all the time getting my own way making me late 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In Germany on the autobahns, the last time I drove on one, I noticed these signs on gantries:

When traffic volume on a two-lane autobahn reaches a certain level, they get switched on. Apparently, if they break the rules, they get photographed and the penalty is quite severe (this is just anecdotal, I don’t know what the actual penalty is). Also, anecdotally (this from my friend who lives there), the wagons have to park up on Sundays and leave the roads to the cars. Only medical supplies and certain fresh goods can be transported by road on Sundays. This seems to work quite well and most folk in German seem quite happy with it.

At a certain volume of traffic on a two-lane DC or motorway, an overtaking lorry will create congestion. Of course, car drivers should not get frustrated and realise that their journey time won’t be that badly affected, but unfortunately, that’s not going to happen.

zokes
    Free Member

Zokes.. Agree that trains are good at carrying stuff, but where are all these tracks going to go? There is always the “not in my back garden” attitude when these things are suggested.

Well, tell them it’s either a train line and free triple glazing or a motorway and none?

And how do you plan to get all that freight to the shops?

Smaller trucks from distribution hubs. The train lines would free up the motorways and NSL dual carriage ways that way.

1981miked
    Free Member

Do u really think people will say.. ” well seeing as I’m getting triple glazing.. Knock yourself out and whack a massive great railway line right through our countryside so close to my house”.

Good idea but It would never get the go ahead.

Smaller trucks.. That’s even more congestion though surely? They are fitted with speed limiters aswell. How many small truck do you think it would take to empty a whole train?

1981miked
    Free Member

The Germans appear to have a good system.. I’d be up for that!

maccruiskeen

Unless money was invested in a network better suited to mass transportation, say, for instance, a train?

Theres a school of thought that, in retrospect, the beeching report happened just a few years too early. Just as the decision was taken to close down large swathes of the rail network the ISO shipping container was born. And they are perfect for sending round the country by train.

rj2dj
    Free Member

They already have this system elsewhere: HGVs not allowed to overtake on the A34 to Oxford.

br
    Free Member

I question the accuracy of these speed limiters and also of the speedometers on many trucks.

Example, M62 J25-J30 is restricted to 50mph with average speed cameras the whole of the way in both directions.
    So you sit in the inside line at exactly 50, cruise control on and what do you see looming up in your rear view mirror? yes, a truck. his idea of 50 certainly is not the same as yours…

My vote is that their speedo is more accurate than yours, it needs to be as its linked to their Tacho (and calibrated AFAIK).

zokes
    Free Member

Do u really think people will say.. ” well seeing as I’m getting triple glazing.. Knock yourself out and whack a massive great railway line right through our countryside so close to my house”.

Good idea but It would never get the go ahead.

And what’s the alternative? Progressively stick another and another lane on the already congested road arteries?

Smaller trucks.. That’s even more congestion though surely? They are fitted with speed limiters aswell. How many small truck do you think it would take to empty a whole train?

It would help if you’d read my post. Train moves stuff most of the way, a fleet of smaller truck moves stuff from local goods transfer depots to where it needs to go. Goods on train = no goods on roads for most of the distance. And the smaller, local delivery trucks would be a bit more suited to mixing it in town centres which were built before the car, never mind the 40t juggernaut was invented.

One train would take what, about 200 trucks off the road for most of the goods’ journeys?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They already have this system of HGVs not being allowed to overtake elsewhere: on the A34 to Oxford.

I had occasion to be on that stretch quite a bit for a few weeks last year. Good idea, but many LGVs seemed to take their chances and just ignore it.

1981miked
    Free Member

I did read your post Zokes… 🙄

But like I said, more smaller vans = more vehicles on roads. This isn’t about “mixing” it with other traffic, it’s about lorries overtaking… Maybe “it would help” if you read the original post.

As for trains taking HGV’s off the road, It would need to be a big train to take 200 trucks off the road, it would work to a point but it would need another 4-6 smaller trucks per HGV, and probably 10+ vans to empty 1 fully loaded 44 tonner, would it be as reliable or as frequent as required? Who would buy the trains? Government? Your tax would then probably go up to pay for all this infrastructure and machinery required.

Speeder

I’d say fair enough to trucks overtaking numpties in cars that can’t keep up with the flow of traffic on the motorway and have a reporting system so they can flag deliberate slow motorway driving by cars(slower than trucks limiter) so the offenders can be banned.

Having said that trucks overtaking trucks should be banned outright especially on dual carriageways. Either that or a “you must yield” law comes into place where the overtakee must drop a few mph to let the overtaker pass and pull in.

Actually why don’t trucks drop an mph or two when being overtaken? These 2 mile overtakes really boil the p*** of pretty much everyone who encounters them – is it some kind of in joke?

somouk
    Free Member

It does only mention one stretch of road and without reading all of it I notice the A14 has been mentioned which also has blocks on lorries overtaking for periods.

Understandable when they will all just be crawling up the hill and does keep the road flowing better for other road users.

zokes
    Free Member

But like I said, more smaller vans = more vehicles on roads.

No there won’t be – that’s what the train is doing – replacing the trucks for the long haul stuff. Fewer truck on the arterial roads = fewer trucks to overtake. The smaller trucks would have to do a fraction of the mileage, as the train has done most of it.

Who would buy the trains? Government? Your tax would then probably go up to pay for all this infrastructure and machinery required.

It’s called a modernised integrated transport policy. Don’t worry, I’m sure it will never actually happen though because it would require investment that extends well beyond the five year election cycle.

Actually, all those millions of unemployed people could build it. Net result – a rail network that wasn’t last seriously upgraded in Victorian times, and a road network that might have a few years lefty in it after all. It’s called building your way out of a recession – something the USA did quite a good job of in the 30s. It seemed to work.

1981miked
    Free Member

You come across as very patronising Zokes. I’m well aware what its called and I’m all up for getting the unemployed back to work… This would be a great way to do that, but as you said it will never happen.

I know what your saying about the trains bit those trains still have to be unloaded and the goods delivered.. Yes the trains will do the majority of the mileage but the smaller vehicles would still have to deliver the goods. Therefor.. More vehicles on the road and more congestion.

Speedster.. Not an in joke, just the usual selfish and thoughtless attitude of most drivers on the roads. I can see why people get frustrated, doesn’t condone the stupid and dangerous driving I see daily to try and get past slower vehicles on approach to junctions and roundabouts etc.

zokes
    Free Member

Therefor.. More vehicles on the road and more congestion.

But if those vehicles do far fewer miles than all the trucks the train replaced, there would be fewer miles travelled by fewer goods vehicles. Presumably this would result in less congestion?

As maccruiskeen highlighted though, this would have been a lot closer to reality had Beeching been later, and the obvious use of trains to carry ISO containers realised. Before Beeching, the majority of goods were carried by the railways. Beeching decided the roads were the future and there was no use for railways. It doesn’t seem to have played out too well compared to countries that didn’t take that approach (most of Europe being an example).

cheers_drive

The train v truck discussion reminds me of my final year university project, 15 years ago, which was for a company was looking to use smaller truck like trains on the rail system – a TruckTrain. It didn’t go anywhere.
    Not surprising really as the handling time and costs of transferring from the train to small delivery trucks was just too much for the relatively small distances involved in the UK.

Cougar

what’s the alternative? Progressively stick another and another lane on the already congested road arteries?

It won’t work, because if you built a thirteen-lane carriageway everyone would sit nose-to-tail in lane twelve whining about all the congestion.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m totally in favour of making them stop overtaking.

Selfish gits.

All of em.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Fine by me.
    I’ll earn more money.
    Do you mind paying more for everything, you buy?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m totally in favour of making them stop overtaking.

Selfish gits.

All of em.

In contrast your obvious generosity of spirit radiates from that comment.

Wozza
    Free Member

What they need is a truck KERS where it has a 1400hp 5800nm boost for 30 seconds every 20 minutes…

Like this…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiVfpzt3a1s[/video]

PePPeR

Worst one I’ve ever had is on the M50, lorry pulled out to overtake another just after we joined the motorway and they then sat side by side all the way to Tewkesbury! 21 miles!

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Vote fr LGV.S TO BE BANNED FROM OVERTAKING’ is closed to new replies.