Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • VOT – Snooker – Ronnie O’Sullivan’s new cue
  • clubber
    Free Member

OK, I’ll start off by stating that I have absolutely no interest in Snooker but I was listening to the radio this morning and they mentioned that Ronnie O’Sullivan had won something but with a new cue which he ‘isn’t fully comfortable with’.

Now, just because I’m a curious sort, what does a new cue do differnently? How are they different? I’m not saying that they’re not, I just can’t imagine that other than maybe if they had different tips, how you need to get ‘comfortable’ with a cue…

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/7836644.stm

lister

it’s the same with any bit of kit…you couldn’t ride a new bike as fast straight away, but it’s ‘just another bike’

having not played the game, i imagine the balance, weight, finish and density all make a huge difference.

getting to know a new cue just before a major championship and winning it must be very hard. they are playing to vary fine tolerances. Steven Hendry said on the tv last night that he’s had the same cue since he started playing…so i guess that means they can get quite attached to the things.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’ve only ever played pub Pool, but I know that having the ‘right’ cue makes a load of difference. Different woods/inserts make for different densities and shock absorption, etc, and each player has their own preferences. The cues that professionals use are made to measure. IE, I’m short, so need a shorter cue. But it still needs to have the right weight and balance, etc. Some players might favour more weight near the tip, others might prefer a heavier butt. Each cue will be different, as they are all made from wood, a natural and therefore variable material.

I believe custom made cues can cost a lot of money.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

BTW, when Ronnie’s on form, is it worth anyone else turning up? I’m not a snooker fan, but the bloke is just unbelievable. A real character, too, in a sport full of fairly ordinary personalities.

uplink
    Free Member

Snooker on the radio – marvellous

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

Hendry is contradicting himself if he is saying that, because I remember a few years ago he had to get a new cue because his one got damaged at an airport. And he used that as an excuse when he kept crashing out of tournaments.

Its all about the weight of the cue, they change the tips fairly regularly but competition tables are really fast, ie the cloth is very smooth and the balls run for a lot further. So the slightest change in the cue that you are use to means that you could either keep underhitting it or overhitting it and making yourself out of position for the next shot.

clubber
    Free Member

Snooker on the radio – marvellous

It was only the news…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘VOT – Snooker – Ronnie O’Sullivan’s new cue’ is closed to new replies.