Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Vorspung Luftkappe, for an older Pike? Worth it?
  • rockhopper70

As per the title really, I have a 2017 Pike and have upgraded a couple of years ago to the Debonair V1 air spring but most recently, and maybe it’s me ageing, it just feels like the fork doesn’t like chatter too much. Roots and nidgeling lines, at fairly high speeds feel to go straight through the fork. Feels OK on bigger high speed hits, rock gardens etc, but that little stuff, shakes the eyes! Reviews suggest the luftkappe might make it more responsive on that kind of stuff.

I can’t afford a new fork and accepting you can’t make a silk purse etc, wondered about one of these. Possibly having it fitted at the same time as a TF tuned service.

Then I look at those lyriks PSA’d and wonder…..

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d save a few quid and get one of the newer Rock Shox airshafts instead.

I believe they are backward compatible, they are easier to fit and will have a similar effect.

rockhopper70

I’ve got on of the 1st version red cap debonair shafts. I did have the V2, but it turned out it wasn’t compatible so TF took it back and refunded me.

intheborders
    Free Member

Possibly having it fitted at the same time as a TF tuned service.

Ask TF Tuned for a rec.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If ‘debonair V1 = B1 air spring then no. It won’t.

Luftkappe made a big difference with solo air, is virtually the same as B1 and better than C1. All IMO of course!

Edit: I need to clarify that. It feels better than C1, but I don’t think its compatible with the hardware anyway.

endoverend

. edited, was going to say it makes a marked difference to mine but I must have the Solo Air.. if you already have Debonair it must be really similar. Have you tried the zip tie through the seal trick to release any build-up in the lower leg, as I’ve found that makes a difference to feel and may account for what seems like a lack of consistency in this fork. Just did a lower-leg re-oil and full buttered the seals and it transformed the feel of my model of the same year.

chakaping
    Free Member

If ‘debonair V1 = B1 air spring then no. It won’t.

Luftkappe made a big difference with solo air, is virtually the same as B1 and better than C1. All IMO of course!

OK, if that’s correct and you have the B1 (the red cap comment suggests you do) then ignore my initial response.

Personally I prefer the C1 airshaft, but either should feel really nice.

When did the fork last have a service?

Lowers servicing close to the recommended 50hrs really helps keep them feeling supple, and a damper service is required after 2years or so in my experience.

joebristol

The CRC Lyriks would be a step up as they’re a much newer damper in a stiffer fork.

Sounds like you have a b1 debonair spring – if anything the C1 will be less plush off the top as they made them to sit higher in the travel. I’m not sure the C1 is actually compatible with older pikes but don’t quite me on that.

Not sure on a luftkappe- I’m pretty sure they have a bigger negative spring than both the b1 and C1 debonair so they may make the fork more supple on small stuff but ramp up quicker through the travel as you’ll be running a higher pressure to maintain sag at a sensible level.

chickenman

My 2014 Pike started doing this, felt like the supension was locked out. I checked the sag and found it much too low, I had to take about 15psi out of the spring. Seems weird to me to be only running 40psi with two tokens in. I’m about 68kg kitted up.

rockhopper70

Mine is an A1 fork, 2017. The upgraded V2 debonair was initially listed as compatible, then not, something to do with a dimple in the wrong place.

clubby

Loved it on my 2016 Pike, in fact I preferred it to air spring in my newer Lyrik. Much more supple but did make it harder to eek out every last mm of travel. Well worth the extra over a Debonair shaft.

kimbers

Loved it on my 2016 Pike, in fact I preferred it to air spring in my newer Lyrik.

Snap!
    Luftkappe really transformed my old pike

rockhopper70

Just an update, I did nearly pull the trigger on one of these, but they seem to have jumped from £55 to £75 so I gave TF a call and it transpires that it wouldn’t fit the debonair air shaft I upgraded to anyway. It would fit the original air shaft but the technician said the difference would be negligible so talked me out of it.

Lower leg service planned for the weekend and I’ll probably spend the money saved on getting the shock sent to them for some tlc (shock has a corset chamber so a bit of vorsprung on the bike)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.