Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Voodoo – tell me about them
  • benz
    Free Member

Recognise that Halfords sell them now, but what is the story behind the brand?

I’m guessing that decent designer, made in Taiwan and good value for money if no current ‘nicheness’?

Xylene
    Free Member

Joe Murray design.

If you email Voodoo with a question, he will reply, in person, from his Blackberry.

I wee’d myself a little when he did.

I have a Wanga. SLight issue with the dropouts sliding out of place, but that is because I’m either well strong or fat.

Bernaard
    Free Member

I have a Wanga and a 29er Soukri. Both designed by Joe Murray in steel. Love them both, but not struck on the new range at all. They also may have priced themselves out of the Halfrauds customer base.
    The older ones will therefore become more niche 😉

rewski
    Free Member

MBUK are all over them at the mo, doing a monthly feature on each model, the Ti djab is nice. Although I prefer Halfords Apollo range. 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

I spotted a nice looking dirt jump bike in their range the other day.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

My first “proper” mtb was a Voodoo Bantu, in 1996. Great fun (even if the paintwork was poor)

Now been replaced by a series of bike and I’ve got a D-Jab Ti beauty with Rohloff speedhub, Magura Thors etc. And I’ve got a couple of Konas. i like Joe Murray. 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just had a look at the Bokor and Bantu, remarkable value for money for entry level bikes.

The old 90’s steel ones were lovely, just like old Konas – there is something about them that just looks ‘right.’

iain1775
    Free Member

I have the one of the first imported into the UK. A 1995/6 (I think) steel Hoodoo, still handbuilt in USA back then, I like to think by Joe jimself 8)
    Lovely bike, currently use it as my commuter (with drop bars and road chainset fitted) but am converting back to MTB duties at the moment and considering having disc tabs retro fitted (possibly by Mercian framebuilders in Derby) and a respray.
    Been going strong for all those years, started rigid and cantilever brakes, has had Magura rim brakes and Vee’s, 140 forks on it and everything in between, it seems to work whatever I do to it
    Sadly Voodoo been vastly under-rated for years since sold at Halfords, but nice adaptable designs and good value, unfortunately the best frames never seem to see UK shores unless privately imported

Yetiman
    Free Member

My old hardtail was a Voodoo Bizango. I had planned to buy a Kona Explosif but the new frames were late coming in, however the shop had just stripped the ex-demo Voodoo and offered me it at a knock down price. It was a great steel frame that built up into a lovely riding bike with 120mm bombers. Wish I’d kept it 🙁

Xylene
    Free Member

I have the one of the first imported into the UK. A 1995/6 (I think) steel Hoodoo, still handbuilt in USA back then, I like to think by Joe jimself

My Wanga is an orignal import rather than a Halfords jobby.

Never thought of putting drop bars on it, but I might now.

iain1775
    Free Member

Quirrel –

This was when I first did it, now has a shorter, higher stem to get drops in a better position. Doesnt maybe look the best but it does me for the commute to work, but next week its going back to an MTB either with the Pace rigid forks or Fox F80’s not sure which yet

trickydisco
    Free Member

Ahh my eyes.. make it stop 😯

GlitterGary
    Free Member

😆

Xylene
    Free Member

^^^ That would work quite well with my massive Wanga.

Sure there was somebody selling some bars and shifters in the classified.

Any issues getting the road crank to fit? Did you use a road mech as well on the front?

Bernaard
    Free Member

My boss had his bike stolen, so he dragged my into a couple of Halfruads in the area.
    One had an original steel Wanga marked up as a alloy frame @£999
    With the new range behind it with the top price @£349????

In another store they had the new line up priced from £349-£749 for the same line up of bikes. 🙄

oldgit
    Free Member

I duuno, not the great bike they were (90’s). Take away the name and the history, and the new ones would be nothing. IMO

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Voodoo – tell me about them’ is closed to new replies.