• This topic has 33 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by cs645.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Voodoo Bizango Carbon- anyone ridden one yet?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

Lucky old me, life seems to have presented me with the opportunity to get a hardtail for zooming about duties. The alley Bizango is hard to beat and is a favourite here, but I see that Halfords/Cycle Republic now have a CF version for £1000.

A new frame from what I can see. Spec looks decent, weight looks ok too- but of course, there are no reviews. Anyone in STWLand rode one yet?

trumpton
    Free Member

not sure why the voodoo is liked so much. thought it had a 1 1/8 straight steerer headtube.

simon_g

Not yet (missed my c2w windown, next is in Jan), they did send me the geo chart though: https://imgur.com/a/GXm9cJ0#mGe1aTv – it’s not just a copy of the alu one.

Alu is straight steerer, carbon is tapered.

joebristol

not sure why the voodoo is liked so much. thought it had a 1 1/8 straight steerer headtube.

I think the standard fork is a 1 1/8th straight steerer, but the frame has a 44mm straight headtube. You should therefore be able to run an external lower cup headset to run tapered steerer forks.

ianpv
    Free Member

Geo is very very close to a chameleon in Large, without adjustable chainstay length. should be good!

kelron
    Free Member

Was going to warn people about the warranty but looks like they’re doing a lifetime one on frames now, was only a year when my Bizango cracked!

chakaping
    Free Member

Looking at it again, I suspect they came up with the bright idea of an affordable XC/trail carbon frame then someone decided it had to be under £1k for C2W.

Shame there’s such low-end kit on it. They should do a £1.5k version with a Reba or Rev and SLX groupset (or similar).

sam1988
    Free Member

I’m happy with my alloy biz. Only thing I’ve done is add a dropper, wider bars and swapped the wheels for some superstar/wtb from the October offering and decent pedals. Does me perfectly just general xc and long days in the saddle stuff without much tech. Fork gave me some issues after 3 rides, lots of stiction which went after a lower leg service (they are grease and not oil lube)

The spec on the carbon doesn’t lot horrendous, I love the colour but the way the the chain stays drop down looks odd

cs645
    Free Member

Voodoo Bizango Carbon looks to be a great £1,000 hardtail

I plan on buying one, although like said, unfortunately no higher end version or frame only option.

Tire clearance still unclear, but looks to be unclear. If anyone has one please let us know and also your thoughts on sizing.

tarkmalbot
    Free Member

I bought one after researching the Bizango although I could find any reviews on the carbon. I got a scrap bike from the tip and used that to get a 20% off trade in at Halfords so it only cost me £800.

A few things to note having checked against the spec and changed the tyres:

The frames are not the size they state on the website. For instance I got a medium and it is not 18″ but 17″.
    The front wheel is not quick release as stated
    The Brakes are 180mm front and 160mm rear (not 180 rear as stated)
    The rear tyre is the race version.

I changed the tyres to Minions and found that a 2.3″ is the biggest you will get on the rear. You could go larger on the front but the rim width probably isn’t suitable. They do have Tubeless rims and I went to go tubeless but didn’t have any rim tape and the original isn’t suitable.

The bike feels great to ride but I am no expert in bike reviews. I have the front forks at 90psi which according to the side is too soft for me at 90kg but I am only using 3/4 of the travel. Perhaps the sag is too much and the compression damping is too hard but I haven’t looked into it much and only ridden it for a few hours so still getting used to the feel.

I have some photos I can try and share but I am offshore so difficult to get onto photo sharing sites with the firewalls in place.

cs645
    Free Member

I bought one after researching the Bizango although I could find any reviews on the carbon. I got a scrap bike from the tip and used that to get a 20% off trade in at Halfords so it only cost me £800.

A few things to note having checked against the spec and changed the tyres:

The frames are not the size they state on the website. For instance I got a medium and it is not 18″ but 17″.
    The front wheel is not quick release as stated
    The Brakes are 180mm front and 160mm rear (not 180 rear as stated)
    The rear tyre is the race version.

I changed the tyres to Minions and found that a 2.3″ is the biggest you will get on the rear. You could go larger on the front but the rim width probably isn’t suitable. They do have Tubeless rims and I went to go tubeless but didn’t have any rim tape and the original isn’t suitable.

The bike feels great to ride but I am no expert in bike reviews. I have the front forks at 90psi which according to the side is too soft for me at 90kg but I am only using 3/4 of the travel. Perhaps the sag is too much and the compression damping is too hard but I haven’t looked into it much and only ridden it for a few hours so still getting used to the feel.

I have some photos I can try and share but I am offshore so difficult to get onto photo sharing sites with the firewalls in place.

Great deal for 800,-. Thanks for letting us know the tyre clearance. Would be a pity they reduced tyre clearance by going to 425mm chainstays in stead of 435.

If you do manage to get some photo’s out, please include some of the space between the tyre and the frame.

tarkmalbot
    Free Member

As I am away offshore I can not take any new photos but here are the ones I have taken already.

https://flic.kr/p/2hDnQ5tBizango Carbon

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks Tark. Good looking bike I think.

chipster

Nice looking bike.
    Fence is up to scratch.
    Yard needs weeding
    I got an aluminium one, 5 years ago. Upgraded with my 26er drivetrain, saddle, bars. Then I got some Superstar wheels, then a Reba.
    When I got the Solaris it became singlespeed.
    It proved a great way into 29er.

Northwind

Shame about the rear clearance but it looks ace otherwise

cs645
    Free Member

Shame about the rear clearance but it looks ace otherwise

Agree, looks nice. A 2.3 Minion is a 58mm tire. If there was still a little room for a 60-61mm, it would be enough for me.

cs645
    Free Member

Size L is sold out for the moment, probably they’ll get a new shipment within a few weeks.

There is an article on the homepage:

Carbon, 12-Speed Voodoo Bizango Carbon costs just £1000!

They probably didn’t see this thread, before posting it.

If anyone got a change to get a photo of the tyre clearance, that would be awesome.

jd13m
    Free Member

does it have internal dropper post routing though? I can’t see the usual bottom bracket avoiding ports….

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Certainly doesn’t look like a “cheap” bike. A bargain at £800 with the trade in. Size wise it compares to the Chameleon. I have an ally medium and its 17″ I tried the lard and it felt a lot bigger im thinking it must be closer to 19″
    Shame about the tyre clearance would have been nice to able to squeeze a pair of plus wheel into it and run some 27 x 2.8 rubber.

tarkmalbot
    Free Member

I am back from offshore now so took some photos of the rear tyre clearance with the 2.3″ tyre:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hSw3U8]Tyre Clearance[/url] by Mark Talbot, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hSw3Ui]Tyre Clearance[/url] by Mark Talbot, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hSw3Uo]Tyre Clearance[/url] by Mark Talbot, on Flickr

tarkmalbot
    Free Member

I also fitted a dropper today. Has internal routing using the same path as the rear brake. PS before anyone notices, There was an additional bush for the nipple on the bottom of the dropper missing in that photo but it is fitted now.

I ran the cable down the tube and using a spring loaded pincer thing pulled the wire up the seat post tube.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hSzDSN]Dropper post routing[/url] by Mark Talbot, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hSzDTQ]Dropper post routing[/url] by Mark Talbot, on Flickr

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks. Looks great- a 2.3 is plenty, really.

How does it feel overall? Does it feel light enough to you?

cs645
    Free Member

Thanks a lot Mark, that’s very clear and useful. In the second photo it almost looks like there’s a small recess in the chainstay for the tire which seems not exactly in the right spot.

tarkmalbot
    Free Member

That is exactly what I thought. I did wonder if different tyres had a different side wall height which would make a difference.

I am not very good at giving feedback about the bike as it is the first and only 29er I have ever ridden but it feels ok to me. Also coming from a Steel Frame Rock Lobster I am not best placed to comment on its weight.

I can if you wish get on a set of scales with it and find out how much it weighs with the bigger tyres and dropper post.

I got a 150mm dropper and its just about spot on. It was getting dark by the time i finished messing about with it so will take some photos in the day today.

jree
    Free Member

What kind of weight is the frame do we know?

tarkmalbot
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hT8ywt]Untitled[/url] by Mark Talbot, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hT7u8u]Untitled[/url] by Mark Talbot, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hT8yvS]Untitled[/url] by Mark Talbot, on Flickr

codybrennan
    Free Member

Looks great. Love those BrandX droppers, I’ve fitted and used a few with zero problems.

Interesting to read that you’re coming from a Rock Lobster as I too used to have one, great bikes.

johnnystorm

Once again I’m amazed at how official studio shots make a bike look rubbish compared to a few pics taken by the owner in their garden where it looks great!

cs645
    Free Member

Says on the website that the M and L will be in stock again in January. Geometry now listed as well.

If they would wanted to change the location of that recess, they would most likely have to redesign the bottom bracket area mould. That’s more than just a running change. Probably cost prohibitive.

2.3 is not too bad, just that 2019 you would hope for a bit more for something that otherwise looks very contemporary and well thought out.

tarkmalbot
    Free Member

I complained to customer services as I ordered the medium thinking it was 18″ which is what was originally on the website but after seeing the geometry posted above on this thread I contacted them to say I wasn’t happy with how small my frame was and wanted to change it for a large and that the website was incorrect about the sizes (amongst other things like the rear brake size and it having a quick release front wheel). They said they would get back to me but never did but not the geometry is on the site and I have now changed tyres and fitted a dropper post which I suspect will be too high at fully extended if I got the larger frame.

cs645
    Free Member

fitted a dropper post which I suspect will be too high at fully extended if I got the larger frame.

How much is the collar of the dropper above the seat tube? If it is 3cm or more, the larger site would fit (42 vs. 45cm seat tube).

How tall are you?

chakaping
    Free Member

the website was incorrect about the sizes (amongst other things like the rear brake size and it having a quick release front wheel)

I complained to Halfords when they sold me a Boardman CX with eyelets for guards, which didn’t exist. Then they removed the mention from the website.

Only got a satisfactory outcome as it also had a paint fault as well.

tarkmalbot
    Free Member

I’m just under 6 foot. I haven’t measured the seat post but its not far out as you can see by the photo above. 3cm could just be manageable but I am not holding my breath as the bike has been used a handful of times now including a trip to the top of Helvellyn so I can’t see Halfords wanting to give me a new one.

cs645
    Free Member

Voodoo Bizango Carbon: first ride review

Quite positive first impression. Good ride comfort.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Voodoo Bizango Carbon- anyone ridden one yet?’ is closed to new replies.