Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • Volkswagens
  • Edukator
    Free Member

I just think some people on here lack a sense of humour!

Nah, some people on here own a VW and owned an Audi before that!

;ç)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Great cars for the money. Had my first a Mk1 Golf in 1984 and had numerous Golfs, Jetta, Polo since. Never had any significant issues with any of the cars over 100,000’s of mikes and decades of ownership. A perfect combination of quality, functionality and price. Aside from VW (and Audi) I’ve had very positive experiments with Mitsubishi and Toyota. So any new / used car purchase would start with looking at another VAG or Toyota model.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Chavtastic. 😆

bigyinn
    Free Member

VWs are generally quite well screwed together, are well marketed to appeal to whatever demographic they target. There are plenty of other marques which do similar. Why not?

As a slight aside, why do many T5 owners bestow their vehicles with registrations that begin T5 xxx etc?
    They are not alone in this, BMW X5 owners seem to do this a lot also.
    I genuinely dont get why?

pictonroad

Because they’re awesome and this awesomeness is bestowed upon the owners, obvious innit.

Once you’re into VW’s that’s it, you’ll never escape, I’ve had forays into the BMW and Mazda rotary scenes but there’s ‘something’ about VW’s that gets under the skin.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Another 2 VW family. 20 year old T4 is my daily driver. Wife drives a 2009 Passat TDI estate. Chalk and cheese really but both well built, solid, unfussy and understated.

I don’t doubt that the reliability is not what it was but I drive them because I like them.

It’s called choice, you may have heard of it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

pictonroad wins thread with the only interesting VW I’ve seen on this thread. 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s called choice, you may have heard of it.

😀

willard

I’ve owned several VWs and have loved them all. When I bought my Mk.2 GTi, I spent ages looking for a car that was just like a Golf GTi, but was not one. Every other car I saw was either less well built, had fewer, more expensive spares, was less reliable or just less good. So, I bought a Golf.

I have _never_ regretted buying that car. It was awesome and, even with me driving it lasted for a long time.

The same with the Passat. Rock solid. Ok, not a hugely inspiring drive, but it was a diesel estate. It was, however, comfortable, economical and fast.

Other manufacturers? Well, the Fiat Panda I had was awesome, but needed spares just abut every three months. The Omega? That needed an engine rebuild. My Rover? Let’s not talk about that apart from to say it was the shittest car I have ever had the misfortune to purchase, beating even the B plate Polo Coupe that replaced it and the Frontera that replaced that.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

there’s ‘something’ about VW’s that gets under the skin.

Funny you should say that.

I bring the clipart tribal.

I want something to stand out from the crowd, but I have no imagination.

The badly spelled, badly drawn humourous one that we can all laugh at.

The custom, where like it or not a lot of time effort and money has gone into it.

But at the end of the day, they’re all VWs and I wouldn’t be seen dead in one. And you’re right, it is about choice (and opinions), my opinion is that choosing a VW shows a lack of imagination. You’re free to choose and I’m free to have an opinion.
    😆

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

For no other reason than I really like these photos of my van and it will annoy the haters 😀

pictonroad

But at the end of the day, they’re all VWs and I wouldn’t be seen dead in one. And you’re right, it is about choice (and opinions), my opinion is that choosing a VW shows a lack of imagination. You’re free to choose and I’m free to have an opinion.

strange sentiment. Your car really doesn’t reflect your imagination or lack thereof, really, it doesn’t.

unovolo
    Free Member

What about giving some love to the forum favourite…
    Skoda Octavia

Its even better at the back

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sprocket you are on a roll here, very nice.

On my last MTB ride I rode past a GTI enthusiasts house, aside from the parking restriction sign “GTI only parking, lesser makes will be towed away” he had 4 GTIs a couple of which where waiting to be smartened up 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

I imagine he would flip his lid if you parked that in his GTI space then ……

Drac

Ah! Peugeot the OP’s car of choice.

jam-bo

NOx?

ElVino

so how have you expressed your imaginative side through your choice of car, enlighten us?

Edukator
    Free Member

Of the hot hatches insurance companies tried to put you off owning the Peugeot was the prettiest (but also the scariest), the Golf was the most cult (but the least inspiring) and the Renault 5 GT Turbo was the most (add superlative to taste). The Renault is the only one I’d like to drive again – on a closed road – nobody should have been allowed to use one on the public road, ever.

spectabilis
    Free Member

spectabilis
    Free Member

Feel free to hate on my VW. I’m very proud of my driveway too.

Drac

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zDmmwG]2015-10-12_12-09-10[/url] by Andrew Eades, on Flickr

binners

My mum and dad had one of those when we were kids Drac. I’ve now got a Golf GTi that doesn’t like going round corners, eats front tyres, but I love anyway. The missus has a Polo GTi thats like a rocket propelled roller skate.

The Renault is the only one I’d like to drive again – on a closed road – nobody should have been allowed to use one on the public road, ever.

I’ll give you that and raise you the Fiat Uno Turbo. One of my mates had one. It was the most dangerous car I’ve ever been in. It felt like the bodywork had been constructed out of the foil from the inside of a few fag packets, and that a strong wind might cause it structural damage, yet someone thought it wise to bang a massive turbo on the engine to what was otherwise just a bog standard Fiat Uno. Suicidally daft! I suspect all of them ended up upside down down an embankment, or embedded in a tree

spectabilis
    Free Member

Well done Drac! where was I going wrong? Google+ seems to have stopped working. So signed up with Flickr still trying to figure out sharing.

Can you not share from the App then?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Indeed trail_rat, in fairness those 206 GTI’s went like sh1t off a shovel. One ran into the back of my Shogun on the M3 once. I was glad to see the young lad get out as the car didn’t look so good.

Drac

Can you not share from the App then?

I gave up on the App sometime ago as it’s terrible.

almightydutch
    Free Member

pictonroad – Member

Having lusted after a White MK1 GTI when I was very young. Posters on my bedroom wall of various Mk1 and Mk2 Golfs(and a cheeky Flatnose 911) when I came to buy my first car I knew what it would be….sadly I couldn’t afford one so settled with a Nova for my sins….that didn’t last very long so I saved a bit more.

My first ever VW was a beautiful, unmolested 3 door Mars Red Mk1 1.1…..It was love at first drive.
    I’ve since owned nothing but VW’s(well strictly, VAG cars), but I cant see that ever changing. Currently a T5 (Sorry haters, but the bikes and motorbikes have to be moved about)

If we are willy waving with some pics, I’ll post up the one I miss the most though! Built up by myself and my best mate some 16 years ago from a std 8v GTI into a wonderful to drive, short block 2ltr 16v engine. A true labour of love for myself, with so many subtle mods(What myself and my best mate call OEM+) it sold at the time for a stonking amount….what a pity I was young and foolish as I’d love to have OYN950Y back in the stable.

It came up for sale on Ebay this year, but it’d had a Carbon roof conversion and the ‘truly mint’ interior had been stripped for track daying, as much as I wanted it back, I felt it had been taken too far with the Carbon roof….if money was no object it’d be sat in my garage.

Drac

Indeed trail_rat, in fairness those 206 GTI’s went like sh1t off a shovel.

205 😀 but we know what you meant.

brooess
    Free Member

Slighty OT…
    Until recently their model was to borrow money from the markets, which they then leant to their customers as finance deals, so they can afford their cars.
    c 25% of their worldwide sales were on finance last year apparently.

Today, one of their ratings agencies dropped their credit rating so this particular business model may mean a VW is harder to afford than it used to be…

T1000
    Free Member

Having experienced a series of woeful French cars the worst of which being a Renault ( faults included failed dampers, brake calipers, ecu and rust within the 1st four years) it’s easy to see why VWs are so popular

hora
    Free Member

Evening chaps.

Loddrik hopefully one of those two VW’s isnt a Touran that had the EML and steering light on and dicky a/c? 😉

slowoldman

I wonder what my 15 year old Passat Estate says about me and my social aspirations.

hora
    Free Member

‘Slow old man’? 8)

Kryton57

Lol…

slowoldman

Ah…

rascal
    Free Member

Not read all of this, but strikes me that the OP just wanted to start a thread that would get a lot of response, whether he believes what he spouts or not, just because it gives him some self worth because he has no real friends…;-)

beicmynydd
    Free Member

allmightydutch – Nice Machine

Reminded me of the Mk1 in Ian Kuah’s book.

VW Engine Tuning

There was a also BRM Mk2 that was featured in the same book, I owned it about 2 keepers later..

Still got the VW “bug” now

piemonster

Not read all of this, but strikes me that the OP just wanted to start a thread that would get a lot of response, whether he believes what he spouts or not, just because it gives him some self worth because he has no real friends…;-)

OP was called out as a troll quite early on by a few posters.

No reason not to run with the topic tho!

Let’s face it, mindless shit forms a significant part of this forums content. It just wouldn’t be the same without it

almightydutch
    Free Member

beicmynydd – Member
    Reminded me of the Mk1 in Ian Kuah’s book.
    http://www.retrorims.co.uk/vw-blog/vw-engine-tuning

Great article in that link. Its not one Ive seen before but the original 16s Golf was a thing of beauty.

A mate had a BRM Mk1, fastest revving 8v I’ve ever seen. Although that ate the crank when playing about in the snow one day.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Volkswagens’ is closed to new replies.