Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • Volkswagens
  • aracer
    Free Member

Is that Clwyd?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

That’s a very unique vehicle you’ve got there PJM1974. Permit me a little chuckle at the colour. 😆
    Have to say that VW are good at making Euroboxes, arem’t they?
    It looks like the drive opens directly on to the road, so no clwyd.

Kryton57

The perfect euro box is dull, boring and reliable when you want it to be, with RWD and a powerful engine upfront to contribute at the press of a button to proper driver handling when you want it.

pure Joy. 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

I have a mk6 golf which so far has been very reliable, cheap to run and looks ok. I bought it because I’ve always liked the look of golfs (though I prefer the older ones) and wanted something reliable and cheap for commuting as my old fiesta was too expensive and feeling very rattly approaching 100k. Get twice as many miles in one tank as I did with the fiesta and it’s only a little bit more expensive for a full tank. I’m happy with it even if it is a bit of a boring/safe car choice.

PJM1974
    Free Member

@captainsasquatch

Nope, not mine – I borrowed an image from google. I used to have one, probably the finest, best balanced chassis I’ve ever driven.

yunki
    Free Member

Errr, isn’t vw the exact opposite of expressing individuality?
    Aren’t you buying into a cult?
    A cult of cool?
    Herbie, hippies, surf bums, vw festivals..
    Aren’t you just saying you identify with those groups?

VWs are cool… Get over it

Not quite as cool as my high mileage, underpowered, grey Renault Scenic though obvs 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I shortlisted Civic, Focus and Golf after reading around and listening to the motoring fanbois about Focus handling. Previously had bought Seat then Toyota. Test drove all three. Decided sharp handling would be wasted on me on motorways, so the Focus wasn’t nice enough in other areas plus you couldn’t get cruise control without leather. Went for the Civic, based on engine and interior, but there were none at my price range when I wanted to buy. Went back to the VW dealer, the Jetta I looked at had gone, so was offered a Passat for less. Liked the performance, gearbox and interior.

In my mind all the “brand image” of the middle tier manufacturers is the same. Competent everyday cars, nothing really to choose. The next price bracket is the aspirational thing.

unovolo
    Free Member

A bit of old Skool Cool..

And New Skool too.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Oh look, stance.

*yawn*

(the beetle pickup conversion is the only interesting one of the lot but still gets points deducted for the scene ornaments it’s carrying)

molgrips
    Free Member

Cars look really stupid lowered too much. Really stupid.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wow – i thought the max power scene died in the 90s – 3 out of 4 look terrible.

The pick up is pretty cool- i do like a woodie.

epicyclo

trail_rat – Member
    …The pick up is pretty cool- i do like a woodie.

It’s pretty nifty. 🙂

I like the idea of doing a chop on a car and making a ute/bakkie/pickup.

I thought my Volvo S80 would be perfect for it – they’re a sort of VW aren’t they? 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

Volvos (especially old ones) would be exactly what I would use. Kinda like a P100 but tankier.

konabunny
    Free Member

Unovolo: every vehicle in those photos is howking. I’d rather look at a ssangyong

unovolo
    Free Member

Well if we all liked the same things life would be terrible dull, personally I like them and don’t mind a bit of stance or a bash with the lowering stick.

The Splitty I’ll admit is a bit ott but the point was there all Individual something which the OP was stating that owning a VW wasn’t.

Edukator
    Free Member

That Splitty looks like it’s being driven left to right.

I owned a T2 Devon, it ran reliably for five years and I sold it it excellent condition for £1200 – probably worth over ten times that now if you could find one in similar condition.

The exhaust manifolds often leaked into the heat exchangers which meant you had the choice of freezing (Alps/Pyrenees in Winter) or being poisoned with carbon monoxide. The engine was gutless, clattery and used fuel as a coolant. Engine fires were common due to fuel leaks onto the dizzy so I fitted proper braided fuel lines. Stability in cross winds wasn’t good and there were a few inches of slack in the steering when it was properly adjusted. It’s the only vehicle I’ve owned where the lack of performance was dangerous; joining the Autobahn was quite exciting. Condensation was an issue, but as we often had to drive windows down to keep the screen clear it soon dried out.

On the plus side it was home and great in the snow, it’s nice to look at the old photos but I wouldn’t buy another.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Why do people buy any brand?

Pick the one that suits you best, personally I look for the right car for me considering a load of factors – almost by accident all my cars bar 3 have been VAG cars, a Toyota which broke (although it was the fault of the last owner) a Honda which broke all the bloody time and that was Honda’s fault and a Ford which was so horrible it actually made me question where Id gone wrong in life.

bol

I’m very excited to be getting my first VW for over 20 years next month. I like the neutrality of VW over the other German brands (or did until recently at least). It’s going to allow me to do most of my driving on electricity, will cost very little to run, will go fast when I want it to and look nice (in my view). Can’t wait. Still interested to know what the debonair Mr Sasquatch drives though?

molgrips
    Free Member

Golf GTE?

Drac

Still interested to know what the debonair Mr Sasquatch drives though?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Why do people buy Volkswagens? Are you buying into the adverts? Are all Volkswagens the same? By choosing a different colour are you trying to be an individual? I don’t understand why people would buy a VW. Are you trying to tell a story? You think you’re being individual but you’re not.
    Can someone please explain?

People buy Volkswagens because the brand appeals to them; same with anything else. The boring/safe/white//slightly snobbish middle classes, that’s who they appeal too – just look at the way they’re advertised/branded – completely different to the French/Italian/Asian brands. I’ve never seen anyone other than a white person in their adverts for a start

jam-bo

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyPx35RX2kI[/video]

Even this one?

Drac

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg-V8Rb-xxQ[/video]

🙄

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sorry; I’m just ignorant!

Edit

Although saying that, that looks like an American ad; or did they do the same for the UK? Still, it says 2015 on it and it must be the first one they’ve done?>!

bol

Golf GTE?

Yep. It’s been a long wait.

Drac

Still, it says 2015 on it and it must be the first one they’ve done?>!

I can’t be arsed to look but I bet it’s not.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I’ve never seen anyone other than a white person in their adverts for a start

mmm well thats not true…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sorry; I live a sheltered life. Maybe it’s just round here thast Volkswagens are viewed as aspirational cars; driven by people who do their weekly shop at Booths.

Drac

Or maybe that’s just your perception of it.

aracer
    Free Member

Given david was presumably referring to the UK marketing I’m not sure any of those examples disprove his point – and you’re certainly not disproving his suggestion that he’d never seen an ad with somebody non-white with adverts he won’t have ever seen.

What a shock that VW tailor their adverts differently for different markets and don’t feature white people when selling in India or Japan – I’m guessing in those other countries those ads are aimed at they probably don’t have the same concept of aspirational middle classes.

Drac

Ermmm! They’re VW ads with different races in, do you really have to then claim it has to be UK only?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Drac, stop feeding the trolls.

Pointless.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d think UK only is strongly implied by the mention of “middle classes” – though you could just re-read what he wrote and have a think about whether you’re actually disproving his claim even without that.

Drac

Sorry Captain.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not trolling at all – and david’s is pretty mild given his usual output if it is a troll. It’s an interesting suggestion to make given the google bashing which took place in an attempt to disprove him – I doubt the posters had ever seen those ads before they went searching.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ermmm! They’re VW ads with different races in, do you really have to then claim it has to be UK only?

Aracer has basically made sense out of what I was trying to say in my first post.

I’m not saying VW are racist or owt like that; but they just seem to have a certain way of marketing their cars the nice white uk middle class families, I think.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nah, I’m not trolling either. Infact I don’t think I ever do! I just think some people on here lack a sense of humour!

aracer
    Free Member

Though you’re distracting me from a far more important point:

remind us again about the reliability…

Drac

Nah, I’m not trolling either. Infact I don’t think I ever do! I just think some people on here lack a sense of humour!

Ah! The Edinburgh defence.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Volkswagens’ is closed to new replies.