Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • Volkswagens
  • captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Why do people buy Volkswagens? Are you buying into the adverts? Are all Volkswagens the same? By choosing a different colour are you trying to be an individual? I don’t understand why people would buy a VW. Are you trying to tell a story? You think you’re being individual but you’re not.
    Can someone please explain?

trail_rat
    Free Member

People buy them new because idiots buy them used for way more than their actual worth

Makes them look like a great buy new.

T5 – 200000 miles – 7 grand please . Pull the other one !

parkesie
    Free Member

They make good cars that hold value well and can be had on cheap lease deals. Exactly what constitutes a good car is different to different people.

jimmy

I paid 5500 for a 6 year old golf estate, kept it for 7 years, loved it and would buy another if they still made exactly the same.

You think you’re being individual but you’re not

No car makes you an individual.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I bought one in 2005. A 51 plate 130tdi Passat estate with 93k on it. I traded it for another one 8 years later when it had 235K on the clock, very much trouble free. Best & most reliable car I’ve ever had in 40 years of driving ( & one of the most fuel efficient)

What was the question again?

scotroutes

What about folk with Volkswagen tattoos?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Strangest thing ever to get ones knickers twisted over.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Was that the one with the new tirbo and full compliment of warning lights you tried to sell on here ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You think you’re being individual but you’re not.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Why do people buy Volkswagens? Are you buying into the adverts? Are all Volkswagens the same? By choosing a different colour are you trying to be an individual? I don’t understand why people would buy a VW. Are you trying to tell a story? You think you’re being individual but you’re not.

So what piece of marketing expertise do you drive that makes you think you’re expressing your individuality?

CountZero

Why do people buy Volkswagens cars? Are you buying into the adverts? Are all Volkswagens cars the same? By choosing a different colour are you trying to be an individual? I don’t understand why people would buy a VW car. Are you trying to tell a story? You think you’re being individual but you’re not.
    Can someone please explain?

Possibly because this isn’t the old Soviet Union, or North Korea, people have a choice, and are taking advantage of it.
    The reality is that many people remember when to buy something that wasn’t a VW was to enter a world of pain; British Leyland/Vauxhall/Roots/Chrysler/Renault/Fiat/etc/etc; all with dreadful histories of extremely poor manufacturing and customer service.
    A mate has had two VW Polos, previously he had a Metro; the Metro brakes failed approaching a large roundabout on the A420/A46 Pennsylvania junction one Saturday afternoon. Only just made it safely round.
    The VWs have been as reliable as one could want.
    Does that answer your questions?

piemonster

You think you’re being individual but you’re not.

What an utterly bizarre thing to say.

Who buys a Golf be a they think it’s “individual”

Anyway, I call troll. Just to counter some posts above, my Golf has proved a bit of a **** on the reliability stakes.

piemonster

that makes you think you’re expressing your individuality?

Ford Mondeo FTW

loddrik
    Free Member

Got 2 vw’s. Build quality is top notch. Been totally reliable. Neutral image. Keep value. What’s not to like…

jimmy

So we’re agreed, VW’s are good.

Phew.

thegreatape
    Free Member

2 VW’s!

We all have our cross to bear I suppose…

🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

Why does anyone buy anything? They identify (or want to be seen to identify) with the set of values that the brand espouses. Does anyone buy a car because of actual reliability these days? Or just a perception of reliability? Most modern cars are extremely reliable, and there’s no real significant difference between brands. People do however want to be seen to be reliable.

VWs are not fast, they’re not slow, they won’t go sideways or be any fun to drive, and they aren’t exactly luxurious. But they will take several people and their things in perfectly acceptable comfort. To me, that means they’re utterly uninteresting, but other people* might consider them to be a perfect utilitarian object.

*Boring people

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The Polish fella that bought our old Polo described VW’s as “good cars for poor people”. I took that to mean that they offered good value for money over the course of their life.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

are you trying to be an individual?

No, that comes when you buy an Aston or a Ferrari or something similar, not a mainstream everyday motor.
    I’ve now got a Mondeo which I really like & would certainly consider another VW. (but not a BMW cos theyr’e driven by Nobs)

thegreatape
    Free Member

I bought my last car, after lots of research, based on its width, reported reliability, warranty length and price. With such an exciting list of primary considerations who’d have thought I’d have ended up with a Toyota MPV!

Drac

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

To me, that means they’re utterly uninteresting, but other people* might consider them to be a perfect utilitarian object.

*Boring people

🙂

Or people that find cars boring.

aracer
    Free Member

Several posts on this thread would suggest that there is still a certain amount of the latter involved in buying a VW, despite as you say the reality being that there is no significant advantage.

Me? Mondeo. I suppose that with a Mondeo you are making a statement – that you couldn’t care less about image. At least for me, the perception is that a Mondeo is cheaper to run (and from what I can work out it beats the equivalent VW on most other criteria) – though that could be an equally false perception.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Obvious troll is very obvious seeing as he’s not been back!
    I do find cars very boring as it happens, I’ve got a Mondeo Titanium X estate cos the Mrs won’t let me have a Transit parked on the drive.
    I’d still have another Passat estate though.

piemonster

They identify (or want to be seen to identify) with the set of values that the brand espouses.

I have no actual idea what the values are of any of the brands.

Edited to minimise tedium

aracer
    Free Member

I expect some would say that’s because you’ve owned boring cars. But then I reckon “exciting” cars are over-rated – it’s certainly a very expensive way to make your life more interesting.

piemonster

MX5

konabunny
    Free Member

As a person of questionable morals, I wanted a car that reflected my values.

piemonster

Lexus?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I like my two and both are diesel…

Pook

That grate’s a bit annoying

konabunny
    Free Member

No flash and a longer exposure would have been better. Although it’s a shot of an ancient van and an old estate car on a tarmaced front garden of a suburban house in Aldershot or Clwyd or Stirling…there’s no amount of glitter you could roll that photo in to make it interesting.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

No flash and a longer exposure would have been better. Although it’s a shot of an ancient van and an old estate car on a tarmaced front garden of a suburban house in Aldershot or Clwyd or Stirling…there’s no amount of glitter you could roll that photo in to make it interesting.

I know it’s not Clwyd.

EDIT:

Obvious troll is very obvious seeing as he’s not been back!

What do you expect me to say? Apart from the responses being as I expected.

konabunny
    Free Member

I don’t even know where Clwyd is tbh

aracer
    Free Member

You don’t want to

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

It’s nowhere as it no longer exists, but it was the home to Llandegla and other such crap.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

It’s block paving…I’ll have you know and I’m not in aldershot or where ever you said that’s leafy North London suburb

Oh and thanks, for the camera lesson 😛

loddrik
    Free Member

2 VW’s!
    We all have our cross to bear I suppose…

One’s 10 years old and the other is 7 years so I’ll hold off on the chest puffage..

Neither has a single rattle though, which says something for the virtues of a volkswagen.

epicyclo

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    …I do find cars very boring as it happens, I’ve got a Mondeo Titanium X estate cos the Mrs won’t let me have a Transit parked on the drive…

Much the same here, cars are just bike transport boxes. I could probably get excited by a small engined Caterham or the like, but stuff like Ferraris, Astons etc seem pointless on public roads.

My missus doesn’t like my taste in Transits either – the day Ford work out how to make them “sexy” to wives, sales will go through the roof.

PJM1974
    Free Member

End of thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Volkswagens’ is closed to new replies.