Viz comic argument.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Viz comic argument.
  • Premier Icon Ambrose
    Subscriber

I’ve just bought a copy of Viz and it has prompted a memory. Perhaps you can help?
    I seem to remember that there was some kind of argument between a Viz illustrator or editor or someone like that on one side and (possibly) a furniture outlet on the other.
    In my head it played out with the shop featuring in a Viz strip.
    I’m hoping that STW can put this to rest, one way or the other.

And to all, Happy Christmas 🎄🚵🏻‍♂️

Rob Hilton

Anything to do with this?

null

Rob Hilton

P.S.

I’ve just bought a copy of Viz

Are you 14? 🙂

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Don’t know about that but they had a bit of a barney with DC Thomson- for years Viz “borrowed” characters and DC ignored it, but then their lawyers said “if you don’t defend yourself against this, you can’t defend yourself against actual damaging copyright infringement” so they took action… Which led to Viz retiring all the borrowed characters but launching DC Thompson The Humourless Scottish Git. And DC Thomson responded by reinventing the Jocks and the Geordies as a pop at Viz. All pretty funny

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Are you 14?

Well Viz amuses me but then I’m of an age where apparently I’m entering my second childhood.

Well Viz amuses me but then I’m of an age where apparently I’m entering my second childhood.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Premier Icon Shackleton
    Subscriber

When I stop sniggering at Viz I’ll be booking in to Dignitas.

Premier Icon teethgrinder
    Subscriber

There’s a comic?

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

I buy Viz everytime I go to an airport. That and a G and T onboard keep me amused

Are you 14?

Friend of mine, fast approaching the end of his 40s, has two magazine subscriptions. The Field, and Viz. 😁

Also, the Profanisaurus is a work of unparalleled brilliance.

shermer75

Are you 14? 🙂

Viz is still very, very funny!!

Premier Icon Rich_s
    Subscriber

Profanisaurus is a work of unparalleled brilliance.

+1
    A copy adorns the main crapper in our house. I’ve also been known to supply copies to some of my clients.

Premier Icon Ambrose
    Subscriber

I’m 57 and love Viz. And there is a Profanisaurus app don’tcha know!?

Rob Hilton

Profanisaurus is a work of unparalleled brilliance.

Yeah, OK, I’ll give you that

Premier Icon teethgrinder
    Subscriber

The app doesn’t work anymore 🙁

And there is a Profanisaurus app don’tcha know!?

I did not!

And it now appears to have disappeared from the playstore for the past year. You deserve to be beaten like a ginger stepchild.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Top Tips and readers comments are two of the funniest things in existence.

CountZero

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My guiding principle through life, that.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

“Go piss up a rope, **** stick.”

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Are you 14?

51 here, the magazine is still going strong IMO, but I do like to think I’m not a boring ****.

Premier Icon roger_mellie
    Subscriber

the Profanisaurus is a work of unparalleled brilliance

You’re welcome.

2tyred

I haven’t bought it in a very long time but it’s reassuring to know it’s out there. Howay pet, do you like fruit?

BillMC

Without top tips I would never have known how to turn nail clippings and used tights into a scouring pad

It’s not as funny as it used to be

I assume the DC thing was Biffa Bacon?

Have not bought it for years but have a early profanisauraus and wish I could get a copy of the Gary Bluto strip from 1993ish.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Are you 14?

Seeing as none of us were anywhere near 14 years old when Viz first came out… a big dog’s cock of a comment.

Seeing as none of us were anywhere near 14 years old when Viz first came out… a big dog’s cock of a comment.

I was 4 years after.

Premier Icon funkrodent
    Subscriber

The greatest comic creation these Isles have ever produced. First bought it in the late 80s & have been buying it fairly regularly ever since. It’s not just the standard toilet humour (which is nevertheless superb), it’s the tabloid spoofs, the illustrated kids’ encyclopedia spoofs, the fake adverts, the boys own adventure spoofs, the top tips, the readers’ letters, the profanisaurus, the complete and utter disdain for any reader stupid enough to swallow the latest outrageous price increase. The one off strips (I particularly like Mickey’s Monkey Spunk moped and Friar ****).

A host of ersatz copies in the 90s (Brain Damage or Zit or even Spit anyone?) fell by the wayside as they failed to realise that Viz was (and is) so much more intelligent than it initially appears to be. It’ll never match its early 90s heyday but it is still one of the funniest things out there, bar none.

Regarding the OP’s question there was a recent strip about Abba solving a mystery in Ikea. Quality stuff

Did anyone ever have the game? I remember someone had it for the Amiga at school and it was fantastic*.

*See the conclusion of The One review on Wikipedia.

Premier Icon Ambrose
    Subscriber

Many thanks for all the comments reassuring me that Viz is a great thing.

The question about the spat between the two protagonists remains though. The Ikea thing isn’t what I was thinking of though.

plus one

Viz is brilliant !!

Premier Icon MrOvershoot
    Subscriber

DezB

Subscriber

I was 14 years and 3 months old when Viz was first published so that’s pretty kin close 🙂

Premier Icon Scapegoat
    Subscriber

It’ll take some googling, but they had a long running joke with B and Q. It started off with someone saying they had bought a straight piece of wood, followed by a demand for an apology, which was countered by an editorial apology to the effect that the story was ridiculous, as it simply wasnt possible to buy straight pieces of wood from B and Q

J

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I was 14 years and 3 months old when Viz was first published so that’s pretty kin close

Truth be told, I made the stat up just so I could use an uncensored Rude Kid phrase 😀
    (I was 15, but I only discovered it at no. 13 in 1985 when I was 21)

Rob Hilton

I was 14 years and 3 months old when Viz was first published so that’s pretty kin close

Ergo, not:

a big dog’s cock of a comment.

According to the decree of DezB :p

Sui

squirrelking

Did anyone ever have the game? I remember someone had it for the Amiga at school and it was fantastic*.

*See the conclusion of The One review on Wikipedia.

yep, i had this too, it was awesome. Buster Gonad racing the 2fatslags on one of the levels is classic..

Hello good evening and bollo..x

i may have to go and dig out some youtube videos

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Ergo, not:

See post immediately above yours 😛

Premier Icon funkrodent
    Subscriber

Loving that game, do they do a PS4 version? Should definitely include Biffa paggering anyone who dares to beat him. And mutha lamping him if he’s winning.

Pretty sure they had a bit of a skirmish with either Land of Leather or World of Leather. Something to do with the actual real leather content (or lack thereof) of their kit.

And if there is a shed world / land of sheds then the gloves are definitely off!

Rob Hilton

See post immediately above yours 😛

Dammit! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.