• This topic has 25 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by b33k34.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Vivobarefoot Primus Trail FG Review – Ideal for an active lifestyle?
  • stwhannah

Almost every time I review a shoe, someone will pop up in the comments and cry ‘more shoes that aren’t foot shaped!’. These are very foot shaped, but …

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

Vivobarefoot Primus Trail FG Review – Ideal for an active lifestyle?

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

colin9

I’ve a pair of these. I love wearing them but not a great fan of how they look. I chopped a couple of inches off the laces and knotted them together to replace the oblong joiner bit, much better.

I had some boots too, but again was disappointed by the lack of waterproofness and sold them on.

configuration
    Free Member

There’s a reason cycling shoes are stiffened.

I WISH they did a cycling shoe. I have normal feet shaped feet, so most brands of footwear are too narrow. I’ve got several pairs of VB shoes, and they’ve mostly been excellent. But if you wear these a lot, your feet will naturally spread out more, so going back to other brands may well become impossible as they will be too narrow. The fact is, that fashion dictates footwear design is basically wrong for a lot of people, and needs to change. Most people have feet issues, because they have crammed their feet into shoes that are too narrow, because Fashion.

I’d recommend visiting their shop in Neale St, if you can. You can try on plenty and get some good advice, the staff are very good. Buying shoes exclusively online isn’t a great idea if you value your feet. And you only get one pair of feet, and they do quite an important job…

nickc

“Foot Shaped”

Is doing quite a lot of heavy lifting in their marketing

configuration
    Free Member

They have a good point though. Most footwear isn’t foot shaped. Put your bare foot on a piece of paper and draw round it. Then tell me if your regular footwear is anywhere near that shape. ‘Sports’ footwear can often be designed to support the foot when running etc on hard surfaces, so fair enough. But many ‘fashion’ shoes, womens’ especially, are terrible for your feet. VB may be heavy on the marketing, but their products have worked better for me and other people than most other brands, so there must be some truth in it.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I chopped the original laces off my Primus Trails and fitted normal laces which I found much more comfortable because I could feel the thin cord cutting into the top of my feet.

I’ve waded through streams in my Tracker FG boots and never had any problems with leakage, I regularly treat them with Nikwax waterproofing wax. The original laces were rubbish and lasted a matter of weeks.

My favorite Vivos are the Gobi desert boots, they’re so lightweight and the leather is so soft I can wear them without socks all summer.

lunge

I saw someone running the Snowdonia Marathon in a pair of these and she was running well. In fact, she was absolutely flying on any downhills so they can clearly be used for longer stuff.

configuration
    Free Member

I’ve waded through streams in my Tracker FG boots and never had any problems with leakage, I regularly treat them with Nikwax waterproofing wax

I’ve got a pair. Most comfortable boots I’ve ever owned. So nice. You do have to keep on top of treating the leather to keep it waterproof, and water can get in via the tongue, I found. But I’ve never found any boot (other than rubber wellies) to be truly waterproof over time. They all let water in eventually.

b33k34

I’m really interested in some ‘foot shaped shoes’ but I’d also like something that doesn’t let me feel every lump and bump on the ground. Does that exist?

docgeoffyjones

I’m really interested in some ‘foot shaped shoes’ but I’d also like something that doesn’t let me feel every lump and bump on the ground. Does that exist?

Lems

robertajobb

Yes. Take a look at Altra running shoes. Actually fit feet shaped feet unlike most shoes.

They’re very low drop or even none at the heel, not stupid heel-striking-first shoes from the masses of run shoe makers.

As for the ‘bare feet’ idea.  Running circles has learned this the hard way. Bare foot, just wait for a good dose of Plantar Fascia problems.

jamiemcf

I like the soles of my vivos primus
    I like the shape of my lens primal (the sole is very foamy)
    I like the shape of my altra lone peaks although not as keen on the shape of my altra escalante 2.5s. too pointy at the big toe.

I have found wearing vivos that many of my jeans are either too long or a bit short. I need a 31″ leg.

steamtb

I have been wearing vivobarefoot for a few years and really like them, suit my feet and biomechanics although I do use a thin insole in them which is spot on for me. You can get the insoles on the vivo website.

I tried lems prior to this, they were ok but fell apart very quickly, not something I would consider again.

Transitions are important, as you start forefoot striking a lot more, especially when you run, you just shuffle load from the hip and knee to the foot, ankle and calf. Depending on the individual, this can be beneficial or challenging to say the least. Transitions to vivobarefoot running definitely need to be managed intelligently and won’t be suitable for everyone. 🙂 great for play in the outdoors for most people though!

lunge

Altra?

paule
    Free Member

I was going to answer “altra” also… I’ve 4 pairs of them: 2 lone peak, mountain king & intuition and all are great for running and, in the case of the intuition, everyday wear too. Well worn lone peaks are decent flat pedal riding shoes too.

I do wear Vivo barefoots quite a bit for everyday wear but find them too much of a middle ground for running. Slightly too much protection for full barefoot running so i find I get more aches and pains from a decent length run in VBs than I would in my old inov8 evoskins (r.i.p.) or no shoes at all, but not enough shoe or sole to allow for the level of running I can do in altras or a fell shoe

zerocool

I pretty much live in my Gobi 2 boots as soon as I hav3 to wear trousers somewhere.

configuration
    Free Member

Altra?

Now this looks interesting. Any idea where to actually try some on though?

lunge

Now this looks interesting. Any idea where to actually try some on though?

@configuration
    , Up and Running stock them, the Birmingham store had a couple of pairs in when I was there last.

configuration
    Free Member

@lunge; any shops in London? I try to avoid Birmingham at the best of times, traipsing all the way up there just to try on some shoes is a bit much really.

lunge

@configuration, Up and Running have stores around the UK. If not, I’d just find a retailer that has a good returns, Wiggle for instance.

configuration
    Free Member

The closest appears to be Chiswick. There was a store in Fleet st, but that is apparently ‘permanently closed’. 🙁

b33k34

Altra running shoes

I’ve got running (and trail) shoes that fit ok but, after some years without wearing them it’s my smarter leather shoes and boots that I can’t wear. Had a nice pair of Grenson brogues and some smart limited collection timberland.

The Lems look interesting. I’m intrigued by Birkenstocks new range but they don’t *look* like they’re the same shape as the sandals and clogs.

Lems sizing seems a bit screwed. A 285mm foot is 12, 12.5 or 13 depending on the shoe. From the same brand?!?

funkmasterp

I’ve been wearing Vivo shoes and boots since about 2013. Love them and find them to be very comfortable. My favourites are the Camel leather desert boots (forgotten the name) as they’re great in summer and winter. Just stick a thermal insole in when it’s cold.

They do make it difficult to wear other brands after a couple of years. Anything with a heal or tight toe box is like torture now.

dupindu
    Free Member

I have these…
    I wore them gravel touring in Spain this summer and they were great. They have enough of a rock plate to protect your feet and with dhb platform pedals were supportive enough for 100km days.
    Excellent off the bike. Super breathable. Very robust with some arch and toe protection – though very little for the top of your foot. Fine grip on plastic dhb pedals. Dry very quickly. Fit no socks or sealskinz.
    I’ve been wearing vivos and similar for years, but have always toured in spds… it was a revelation!
    Touring footwear is always a compromise after all.
    I came north from Valencia on the via Verde network to Burgos and joined the Camino Frances… the via Verdes are fantastic, if a work in progress, but linked with dirt roads made for 1200km of mostly gravel.

MSP

They do make it difficult to wear other brands after a couple of years

Yep, it is now impossible to buy cycling shoes that fit my feet.

b33k34

I’m intrigued by Birkenstocks new range but they don’t *look* like they’re the same shape as the sandals and clogs.

Following up on this I bought a pair of the Birkenstock Bend Mid’s in December and, yes, they’re foot shaped (or at least Birkenstock sandal shaped) and fit the same as the sandals (I’m a 44/9.5 in Birkenstock whereas I’m a 45 in 5:10 and a 46 in the Shimano shoes that are a shape that I can wear). I like them enough that I’ve just bought a pair of the ‘low’ version as well. (I’ve not tried on the Chelsea boot and work boot styles but I’m guessing will be similar)

Bend mid

Not cheap, but currently a decent discounts in the Office sale

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.