Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Vivoactive 4 vs 4S
  • scotroutes

Has anyone here specifically chosen the 4S rather than the 4 just from a bulk POV? I hadn’t been wearing any sort of watch for 40 years or so other than an occasional Altimeter type until I got a Forerunner 35 and even then it’s mostly for running and riding. I’m tempted by the Vivoactive 4 but think I might just find it a bit bulky and obtrusive for everyday use.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have 4, wife has 4s. The only difference is 4 is a bawhair bigger, and as such has slightly better battery life.

There’s 2mm in it sizewise IIRC, I don’t think there’s enough to be noticeably bigger.

The only downside (to both) thus far is the slight curve on the screen means no rigid screen protector, just a clear heli tape type one.

mattinyorkshire
    Free Member

I had the same debate and plumbed for the 4 over the 4s in the end.
    I have twigs for arms and it doesn’t look or feel bulky in any way, so I made the right choice but I’ve been a watch wearer my whole life so it feels normal wearing one.
    I’d echo the above about the screen protector and it certainly needs one but the film types have been fine so far.
    I’m really happy with it so would definitely recommend.

scaredypants

I don’t really like wearing watches and I’ve pretty skinny wrists. 4 feels fine to me

vinnyeh

15 year old skinny armed daughter has the 4, wears it all day, and it looks largish but fine, on her wrist if that’s any help.

scotroutes

OK. You’ve all convinced me….

Now – Shadow Grey or Black?  😉

flashpaul
    Free Member

Specifically went for the 4s as it’s smaller
    Last watch was a Vivoactive HR which was huge

It was £30 cheaper than the 4 as well

chestrockwell

In the recent PSA I went from a Forerunner 35 to a Vivoactive 4s. Can’t say it’s any more noticable day to day but it’s a real step up in quality. I went Space Grey and am very happy with it.

chestrockwell

Just got the email confirming my £50 voucher too 🙂

scuttler

Can’t decide? Get the Venu at 43mm (same internals, different AMOLED screen)

chestrockwell

Box says mine is the 4 actually, not 4s. Either way, it’s the bigger of the two.

scotroutes

Box says mine is the 4 actually, not 4s. Either way, it’s the bigger of the two.

Hint: S = Small  😉

mikertroid
    Free Member

I have a v4 and the g/f has a v4s

My wrists aren’t huge and the v4 looks fine. For me, I think the v4s would be a little small.

Kryton57

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the reported battery life of the 4?   Its it realistically 7 days?  I may be tempted to sell my instinct to part fund a VA4….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

VA4 here, 4 days with 2 hours GPS use per day.

chestrockwell

It obviously depends on useage but I’ve had mine for a week and charged it for a second time yesterday.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have pulse oxymeter disabled, just take it manually when I remember, lots of stuff like this helps battery life, obviously.

scuttler

They’re quick to charge though so if you’re heading out it only needs 10-15 minutes to boost the battery significantly (not sure what the actual numbers are but the time it takes to get your clobber on, pump up your tyres, fill your bladder is likely enough to cover 2-3 hours exercise). Music via bluetooth hammers the battery though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Agreed, charges fully in about 45mins. I tried listening to a podcast last week, didn’t half chew the battery.

Pointless, as I’ve always got phone with me anyway, just use that for music.

funkmasterp

I got the four in space grey during the PSA (grey was cheaper) and I’m proper chuffed with it. Last watch was an original vivoactive, so it’s a big step up. I would heartily recommend it

mikertroid
    Free Member

Kryton: I reckon 7 days is about par with BT, notifications etc. GPS will reduce things.

It’s less than my instinct, but then you’re getting more from it. I’ve already used the Garmin pay and that’s been handy.

oldtennisshoes

@Kryton57 what colour instinct do you have and how much are you looking for it?

scaredypants

Sorry to resurrect, but

The only downside (to both) thus far is the slight curve on the screen means no rigid screen protector, just a clear heli tape type one

I see there’s loads of brands at loads of prices – any recommendations anyone, please ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Screen protectors? Just buy the best reviewed on Amazon.

timidwheeler
    scaredypants

Ta,
    funnily enough, timid’s seems to be the highest rated – though I’m a bit of a sceptic
    Is what they say about “bubbles” true (they’re almost inevitable but will disappear overnight) ?
    between that and spguard, I think
    I assume both are the same method (probably same product) – spray up with provided liquid, shove on and squeegee off a bit and then leave overnight ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, easy.

scaredypants

magic !

wiggles
    Free Member

I’ve been considering this myself but for the price difference I’m thinking about just getting the 3 as I can’t really see any features I need that justifies the £70 extra… Just want basic GPS recording and being able to see messages etc.

Will always have my phone with me as well if I wanted to have music or whatever if I bother to go running again. Unless I’m missing something obvious I can’t see there is any massive advantage to me having the 4

timidwheeler

I’m really good at fitting screen protectors so I was quite annoyed by all the bubbles I ended up with on fitting. I considered taking it off and starting again.

Four hours later they were gone and it is absolutely pristine. Really, really pleased and will buy again without hesitation.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Unless I’m missing something obvious I can’t see there is any massive advantage to me having the 4

I have a 3 and a 4, battery life is probably the main advantage of the 4.

Lots of small differences that add up to a better watch, but no massive one tbh.

Kryton57

Just want basic GPS recording and being able to see messages etc.

Will always have my phone with me as well if I wanted to have music or whatever if I bother to go running again. Unless I’m missing something obvious I can’t see there is any massive advantage to me having the 4

That’s why I ended up deciding just sticking with my Instinct.

jeffl

I bought a Vivoactive 3 off the back of the recent Garmin PSA. Also bought a 4S for my wife as she wanted something with a smaller face.

Now and again she mentions things her 4S does that my 3 doesn’t do, but nothing that I’m overly bothered by. Only ones I can think of are the body battery and pulse oximeter function.

As it saved me about £50/60 I’m happy with that.

mikertroid
    Free Member

The Music isn’t the clincher for me, but Garmin Pay is excellent.

There are some bits I love on the instinct that aren’t on the V4 (a more manly alarm being one and more configurable backlight options) but the V4 is a better Garmin to wear to work, whilst the Instinct is better for my watersports and tougher for MTB.

I managed to put one of those SPguard covers on (second attempt….do watch the YouTube tutorial!!) Which works really well.

I suspect I’ll chop both in later in the year for a F6 Pro which ticks all the boxes and isn’t quite as humoungus as my old F3!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is it still only santander that you can use Garmin pay with?.

scuttler

Starling on Garmin Pay for me. Works well.

wiggles
    Free Member

V3 has Garmin pay doesn’t it? So it’s just the music and battery life really, aside from a few physical differences.

With the Mrs blue light card discount the V3 is £112/125 ) depending on colour choice) and the v4 is £180/195.

To me just over a £100 is a lot more reasonable when it gets to nearly £200 o start thinking do I really need it.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Starling and Revolut on my Garmin Pay.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Vivoactive 4 vs 4S’ is closed to new replies.