Vive La France!

Home Forum Chat Forum Vive La France!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Vive La France!
  • Premier Icon curtisthecat
    Subscriber

hahahahahhahahahahh

Wales not as good as they thought.

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

Wales were excellent. France were a little more excellent.

^^What Coyote said^^

RudeBoy

Oh dear.

Wales fail?

Never mind. there’s always next year.

It’s not the winning, it’s the taking part that counts.

They were very brave.

And the fans sung better than the French.

phildowling

No we were rubbish in the 2nd half.
    looked like a bunch of school kids chasing the ball around…rubbish like we were 3-4 years ago.

Well done France played with class and commitment in the 2nd half should have put loads of points on us.

Bugger!

whytetrash

Hey Curtis Wales had Un jour sans….championship now more open!…Wales are ranked 4th in the world…stats dont lie

TBH most Welshmen will be happy with the win over England…the rest is peripheral

sootyandjim

Its not often Englishmen have something to thank the French for.

Well done our Gallic cousins.

surfer

Right result unfortunately. French were superior and yes Wales were dire for most of the second half.

The first half was some of the best Rugby I’ve seen for ages.

Suprised to see so many englishman gloating over the welsh loss considering how dire their own team is. If france play against england like that it will be a slaughter.

sootyandjim

I wouldn’t be upset if England lose against France.

They are a fantastic team and their fans are a cut above the boo boys found following some of the slightly more bitter nations, which unfortunately have crept in and sullied a sport which has always had fans that prided their sense of fair play and sportsmanship.

As for gloating, kettle pot black? “Anyone but England” are the words uttered from many petty and bitter folk from the home nations.

Pigface

Beaten fair and square, France excellent for first 20 mins of second half, we didnt touch the ball.

Lets hope for a Croke Park kicking for the oafs in white.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Let’s not spoil it. Good match, good rugby, good entertainment. One team has to lose, so fair play. For a change no-one’s boggling about how crap one or other of the sides was.

Credit to France tho. I thought at first that they were going to fling themselves at the game and end up making mistakes and going down to a cool calculating Welsh team – but they kept it up, sorted the mistakes and Wales couldn’t take advantage of the French coming forward so much. There were a few cases where a quick side-step would’ve beaten a charging defender and opened a gap for a counter-attack, but they didn’t make it. French just too fierce, Welsh just not calm enough.

m0nster2

Suprised to see so many englishman gloating over the welsh loss considering how dire their own team is. If france play against england like that it will be a slaughter.

It’s not big. It’s not clever. You’re right.
    However, my level of irrational partisan support for England is almost eclipsed by my partisan dislike for the Welsh (Rugby Team).
    ‘Twas ever thus – and is mutual.

Doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy their play.
    I just always hope they lose πŸ™‚
    Like 98.5% of my Welsh mates always hope England lose.

Me and CFH had a debate on this long ago: My personal roots go back to having the Pontypool front row rammed down my throat (not literally, you understand) by Welsh relatives in the 70s.

Like I say: It’s not big. It’s not clever. But it is fun, and we always have a beer afterwards πŸ™‚

RudeBoy

Well my mate Welsh Kev has cheered for England in the footy, in the past. World Cup and that. So not all Welsh folk hate England.

Mind, Scottish Kev would support Robert Mugabe’s personal bodyguard against England; anyone but England.

I don’t really care. I’ll often cheer on Wales, Norn Ireland, Eire, or Scotland, when they’re playing against other nations, in whatever sport.

Dont get me wrong I dont mind you taking pleasure in a wales loss, just think given the glass house your in it might be an idea to put the stones down!!

m0nster2

πŸ™‚
    While we’re talking stones, and in the (alleged) words of one Big J: Let he who never took pleasure in an England loss cast the first one….. Butt πŸ˜‰

Nice to see Dan Luger is shit at bob sleigh too!!!

mr frosty

You guys dont mention any partisan dislike for welsh rugby/people aloud when enjoying their trail centres ! lol

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I don’t hate the English at all, just the English rubgy team. Different thing altogether… They’re a bunch of upper class knobs aside from being English, and they play a sh*t game. That used to win a lot – even more annoying.

whytetrash

Hate is too strong a word…The Wales England games have always had an edge to them….probably goes back to getting one over the oppressors (historically speaking) we are just a passionate bunch who love their rugby and have had to endure a fair share of beatings over the last decade or two…so when a realatively tiny nation beats their big neighbour we do tend to savour it a little more.

Molgrips we can’t really accuse them of being upper-class knobs when we have potential Drs, dentists and lawyers playing for Wales…I’m sure to a lot of Welsh people those are upper class occupations!

To put it in context if we have to lose it would be to the french, the Irish(but not this time!) the Scotts, the Italians and then a long way further back the English!…mainly cos it’s only my English mates who gloat when we lose!

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Molgrips we can’t really accuse them of being upper-class knobs when we have potential Drs, dentists and lawyers playing for Wales…I’m sure to a lot of Welsh people those are upper class occupations!

I said upper class not middle class… The thing is that in England it’s a private school game mostly, which means that a lot of the people that play it are posh people. Compare Richmond or Kingston say with Merthyr or the Rhondda…

whytetrash

Or Ynysybwl even… What I’m saying is that to people from the valleys these are viewed as upper class jobs…posh jobs even! It’s all relative, If you are unemployed or “on the sick” people with a management level job can be viewed as middle class, DRs Lawyers and dentists are definitely in the upper echelons!

I think the accent is a great leveller Welsh people sound Welsh, irrespective of class, wheras The English public Schoolboy is instantly recognisable!

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

“You guys dont mention any partisan dislike for welsh rugby/people aloud when enjoying their trail centres ! lol”

That’s because most people who turn up at trail centres have no idea where they are – it’s just a blip on their Audi’s sat-nav. It also helps that Afan, for instance, is only just off the M4, so you really don’t have to speak to the natives.

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

Oh, and in rugby terms, all we need say here in Wales is……… 10 yellows in 4 games? The group I was watching with had a sweep on who the 1st English player in the bin would be, not the 1st try scorer.

whytetrash

Bugger wish I’d thought of that idlejohn…could have livened the game up no end!

woodey

“The thing is that in England it’s a private school game mostly, which means that a lot of the people that play it are posh people”

utter cack, phil vickery, steve borthwick……should I go on?

sheesh, u lost, get over it

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

utter cack, phil vickery, steve borthwick……should I go on?

Please.

It’s played mostly in private schools in England FACT.

You’ll find more players from posh backgrounds in the England squad FACT.

(NB I have done no research into the above and I may be proved wrong, but I don’t think so πŸ™‚ )

PS I am not upset having lost, quite happy to play well and lose after a good streak. Just trying to shed some light about the animosity between the England and Wales fans.

sheesh, u lost, get over it

That kind of talk might be part of it πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Oops double post.

sootyandjim

You don’t have to be posh to go to a private school.

(sootyandjim – Formally of the Mountbatten Estate in Lambeth and the Royal Alexandra and Albert School, Gatton Park.)

Of course I don’t play rugby for England, no doubt due to my non-poshness.

πŸ™„

matt_bl

Sorry for the hijack (the thread was heading towards nationalistic insults anyway) but there seem to be some knowledgeable rugby fans on the forum.

Do any of the Wales fans think that they can push from 4 in the world and challenge the southern hemisphere?

No doubt Wales are the best team in the 6 nations, probably by a distance, but are they going to start sticking to the Aussies et al.?

Oh, and what has happened to David Strettle (sp)?

Matt

woodey

“animosity between the England and Wales fans”

Having played and supported rugby for 20 years (and working for a welsh company run by rugby nuts) and having spent many long nights in cardiff and Twickenham post match with welsh fans I think you are overdoing that…

“It’s played mostly in private schools in England FACT.

You’ll find more players from posh backgrounds in the England squad FACT.

(NB I have done no research into the above and I may be proved wrong, but I don’t think so )”

exactly, it is not a FACT as you demonstrate (no research), there are far more club players in England than at private schools and very few private shcool payers make it to the top of the sport ;0)

I know this because I played for one and none of the top players of my generation from the big public schools made it to the top of the sport..FACT

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Do any of the Wales fans think that they can push from 4 in the world and challenge the southern hemisphere?

YES. Although I am not a knowledgeable rugby fan. I think they have the talent and the leadership to put in a really good show by the next world cup. However, they would need to be putting in a really good show for many many years to really challenge the SH. I mean they have been on top for what, 40-50 years? The occasional blip in results (England 2003, Wales 70s) hasn’t lasted. I don’t think Wales can keep pace with the SH unless ALL the NH teams bring themselves up over the years, and to be honest this has been happening here and there. NH victories over the SH are more common than they were, and if it keeps going that way, who knows?

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

exactly, it is not a FACT as you demonstrate (no research)

That was a joke, clearly, as I admitted.

But anyway, my point was that the perception of a class divide is real, and that could be a contributing factor in the rivalry (animosity is real, even if you didn’t meet it). Other factors include:

National history – the Welsh have hated the English many times through history
    Rugby history – the Welsh used to beat the English a lot way back, and then we had a decade or so of being thrashed ourselves
    Self-perpetuation – when one side wins, the other side crow and gloat, citing previous reversals of fortune as a reason. Of course, we are only gloating because you gloated last time, and so on.

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

Matt_bi, you aren’t aware that Wales recently beat Australia? And were confident that they were going to?

As far as NZ and SA, Wales seem to be have a bit of a mental block about them, so at the moment I’d always put my money on the two SH teams, but there is a good chance of an upset these days.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Wales seem to be have a bit of a mental block about them

That’s one of the main things that Gatland’s bringing tho – a professional top-team attitude.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Vive La France!’ is closed to new replies.