• This topic has 25 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by LAT.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Vitus Bikes: A Brand for Real Riders
  • identitizombie

In the bike world, it could be said that we’re all a little guilty of following the crowd. But occasionally, someone will come along, shake things up …

By identitizombie

Get the full story on our front page at:

Vitus Bikes: A Brand for Real Riders

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

Straightliner

No mention of Sofiane Sehili in all of that?

weeksy

I did a demo day with Vitus… out of 12 bikes, 5 worked… out of 5 working bikes, 2 worked well…

Lets just say, i was slightly underwhelmed.

identitizombie

@straightliner He’s an incredible person who has done/does the most amazing things on a bike. We just didn’t touch on him in this. It was more about the brand and how things have changed etc. Apologies!

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Building bikes for imaginary riders would certainly be a controversial business plan.

identitizombie

Building bikes for imaginary riders would certainly be a controversial business plan.

Or imaginary bikes for real riders *pretends I’ve never run down a trail holding my imaginary handlebars…*

ads678

If I was buying a new trail bike at the moment It’d probably be the Vitus Escarpe CRS 29.

footflaps

I thought Vitus was a Wiggle own brand….

ads678

CRC but yeah…

Straightliner

@identitizombie – I didn’t mean to come across as critical (if it did), it’s an enjoyable article but as it refers to people with jobs doing different things I was surprised his name didn’t crop up.

I like these sort of articles that talk about the businesses, the people and make how you make it more personal. After all, most people in the industry have an interest in bikes of all different types, like many of us on here.

tomhoward

Or imaginary bikes for real riders

There was this one company, once upon a crowdfund…

identitizombie

There was this one company, once upon a crowdfund…

Yeah, maybe my business idea isn’t such a good idea after all… *rides off on my totally sick invisible ride*

mashr

weeksy
    I did a demo day with Vitus… out of 12 bikes, 5 worked… out of 5 working bikes, 2 worked well…

What was wrong with them? Frame issues? Nothing else they use is brand specific

identitizombie

@identitizombie – I didn’t mean to come across as critical (if it did), it’s an enjoyable article but as it refers to people with jobs doing different things I was surprised his name didn’t crop up.

Oh no, not at all! glad you enjoyed it. You are right, though. Would have been interesting to delve into something about him, I just didn’t think at the time. I have a feeling that would be a whole feature in itself…

hooli

They make some really good bikes for some really good prices. I like then, no badge snobbery here.

seriousrikk

Have to admit the Escarpe 29 may be enough bike to tempt me into spending some money in 2023

footflaps

The wife bought one from Wiggle on a 30 day try and return if you don’t like deal..

It was terrible! Disc brakes rubbed from the off – ok minor thing, then freehub seized on the first ride (dry, sunny day) turning it into a fixie…

There were some other minor things as well to do with assembly.

Went straight back the next day, very much felt like a Friday afternoon job….

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I’ve got a vitus hardtail, decent bike with good spec for the money. Would buy from them again.

BadlyWiredDog

Can I just ask, is this advertorial or paid-for content of some kind?

I’m asking partly because, slightly ironically, as a digital subscriber, I don’t actually get to see ads on the site, so I have no idea if CRC / Wiggle / Vitus has taken out advertising around the piece or if they advertise on the site at all.

And isn’t there actually something slightly flawed in a model that actually denies your advertisers access to your core, most loyal users?

Sorry, I’m sure Vitus are very nice people who make lovely bikes, but it does read a little like a brand advert.

Edukator
    Free Member

The original French brand made steel tubes which compared well to Reynolds, I raced on one, a double-butted “cinq dixième”. It got replace when Columbus brought out NIVACROM steel. Then Vitus made aluminium frames with drawn tubes glued onto/into cast alluminum lugs – I wasn’t a fan, they were light but very bendy. Kelly however made them go faster than most of the classics riders of the day. Then they became unpopular because rival brands produced even lighter and much stiffer carbon frames, I bought Look KG 171, 181 and 196 Monoblade.

End of story till the name reappeared on CRC products about a decade ago. The bikes were welded aluminium and I saw one that had my favourite geometry for a touring bike, worth a punt as it looked good VFM and I’d just broken my steel touring bike. A bit of digging and I realised they’d just bought the name to use to give a bit of added value to their own brand products. It’s great, well made, no frills, reasonable weight – happy customer.

So with my French hat on I’m conflicted, great bikes but they’ve nicked the name. With my English hat on I’m completely happy, great affordable bikes with a name it’s easy to remember.

bfw

footflaps
    I thought Vitus was a Wiggle own brand….

Posted 4 hours ago
    REPLY | REPORT
    ads678
    CRC but yeah…

Posted 4 hours ago

I thought they were the French Vitus from the 70’s?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I bought a Vitus Vee to replace my stolen shopping bike. For £200 I can accept it’s pretty horrible to ride but why does it have to have quite so much toe overlap?

bentudder

@badlywireddog – yes, it’s flagged as a sponsored feature up at the top. I’m a subscriber too, and don’t mind this either if it pays the bills – there’s transparency.
    The only issue I have with Vitus is availability – and it’d be jolly nice if my employer’s B2W vouchers worked for Vitus stuff – for some reason they selected Evans…

blitz

I’ve been riding an Escarpe CRX 29 for coming up 2 years now and it’s been pretty much faultless. I’ve only had to replace the BB.

Fox 36, Float shock, full XT, great geometry, looks superb (IMO) and great value.

ampthill

I thought they were the French Vitus from the 70’s?

They bought that brand

LAT

i thought vitus sold open mould bikes. i’m not saying that this is a bad thing, but it is what i thought.

not that that detracts from the help that they five privateers

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.