Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Vitamins and general health
  • Weasel
    Free Member

I seem to have constant colds on a 4 week cycle since about xmas, prior to that I had a cold on and off from August to November when I went to the doctor and found I had an upper respiratory tract infection, I was prescibed some antibiotics which worked but never really fully cleared the symptoms. Yes, I should have gone back to the doctor….

So with what seems a constant cold I’ve not ridden that much in the past six months, put on half a stone, irritate the people around me at home and work blowing my nose, coughing etc.

Needless to say I will go to the doctors and sort this out once and for all, but other than a multivitamin I’ve started taking – yet to see any benefit so far, any other suggestions on supplements or are they just a waste of money? And I do need to eat slightly healthier with more fruit in my diet.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You’re literally pissing away your cash.

crikey
    Free Member

The only reason for using a supplement is to replace things that you are not getting in your normal diet. If you are not getting enough vitamins in your normal diet, attend to your diet rather than buying expensive stuff that could potentially cause you more problems.

The idea that going to the doctors will sort this out ‘once and for all’ is probably wrong; colds are viral infections, and are not cured by antibiotics. Secondary bacterial infections can be treated by antibiotics, so don’t expect miracle tablet cures.

Top tips; wash your hands. A lot. Most respiratory viruses are transmitted by hands, so stop picking your nose!

wallop

Sounds like it could be an allergy or an intolerance rather than a constant cold.

Bunnyhop

Try zinc.

Washing your hands is so important (everyone) and do it properly please.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

it multi Minerals you prolly need, and your only pissing your cash away with the vitamins IF you have a really good fruit and veggie rich diet .. if not, get the multi vits too 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

wallop – Member
    Sounds like it could be an allergy or an intolerance rather than a constant cold.

I know of two people who have found this. My dad and my wife. You’ve not lost a lot of weight have you? My wife was allergic to (a protein in) cow’s milk and my dad wheat. Symptoms stopped after they were properly diagnosed and altered their diets.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Try zinc.

I have loads of this in a handy dispenser.

The washing hands thing… aren’t super-sterile homes supposed to cause greater allergy and immune difficiency problems?

Weasel
    Free Member

First thing I do when I get to work (and get home) is wash my hands after travelling on the train & tube with the great unwashed.

I did wonder if I possibly have a dairy intollerance but other than milk with cereals & in my tea, rarely have cheese, yogurts, ice cream etc.

MSP

aren’t super-sterile homes supposed to cause greater allergy and immune difficiency problems?

Yep, I keep my apartment disgustingly filthy in order to strengthen my immune system, and I’m indestructible Roarrrr!

Bunnyhop

The washing hands thing… aren’t super-sterile homes supposed to cause greater allergy and immune difficiency problems?

Yes people are using too many anti bacterial products. However, washing hands will help stop the spread of colds, flu and virus’s which cause misery, many days off work and in some cases death.

Also would people please cough into their arm (crook) and not into their hand, which then spreads the germs over everything.

As someone who has a low immune system, the very act of washing hands properly can help me loads.

wallop

Quite often dairy products are the subject of intolerance. You say you “only have milk in cereals and tea” – that could amount to a pint. Cheese, yoghurts and ice cream are generally more tolerable than milk due to their higher fat content. Dairy is known for being mucus-producing – lots of singers avoid it to make sure it doesn’t inhibit their singing – so it may be worth trying cutting it out. You have nothing to lose, after all.

cbike
    Free Member

Dairy and mucus was dispelled as myth on a recent Radio 4 programme about food intolerance. Singers avoid Dairy and chocolate because they are uptight, paranoid cous cous eaters that shop in marks and spencers all the time.

And in general while people are becoming more aware and taking action in genuine cases, some people are just fussy, fat and lazy.

I could be wrong though. Feel free to enlighten us with your research.

teasel
    Free Member

Most respiratory viruses are transmitted by hands, so stop picking your nose!

The mouth and eyes, too.

An over-clean home being the cause due to a weakened immune is very doubtful IMO. I suspect a more realistic approach is, as stated above, contact with susceptable areas after contact with an infected surface such as door handles and shopping trolleys etc. We all know that it’s spread this way but seem to ignore it for the most part. It does take a little re-training of habitual or nervous touching of these areas but it can be done.

Lowered immune or a higher susceptablilty to infection after excercise is something else I’ve read somewhere, so it’s worth bearing that in mind when stopping-off for that bite to eat at the little tea shop mid-ride.

Edit :

Dairy and mucus was dispelled as myth on a recent Radio 4 programme about food intolerance. Singers avoid Dairy and chocolate because they are uptight, paranoid cous cous eaters that shop in marks and spencers all the time.

Not so sure about that, personally. I used to sing quite a bit and milk used to cause so much mucous it stopped me from singing. Some would say that was a good thing.

Definitely don’t and never have shopped at M&S and I loathe cous cous…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes, I should have gone back to the doctor….

So why didn’t you ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Vitamins and general health’ is closed to new replies.