Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Visiting UK from Alaska
  • inflatlight
    Free Member

Looking for some local knowledge/recommendations.

I have about 7 days in September to ride in the UK. I’ll have a van and would like to get to a few different areas. Looking for recommendations on places to ride. Probably won’t do any lift-served riding but am looking for challenging longer rides, enduro, and flow-style trial riding.

I’m looking to put together a campervan travel loop from/to the London area and would like to hit Wales and Scotland (depending on how long the driving is).

Any recommendations you might have on trail centers, rides in wilderness areas, travel tips (where to park a campervan, etc.), would be greatly appreciated!

I am also trying to decide if I’ll bring by Stumpjumper EVO. I’m leaning towards renting something when I get there, so a good place to rent a bike for the trip would also be great.

Ambrose

If you get over to my neck of the woods I’m happy to show you around Brechfa, Afan and the western part of the Brecon Beacons. Mid Wales has a whole bunch of bothies if that is your kind of thing.

tjagain

You wont see much of both wales and Scotland in a week . Dont spend too much time driving.

tuboflard

Assuming your arriving in to London? Scotland is best part of a days drive from Heathrow so you could spend two of your seven days behind the wheel if you’re not careful.

Wales has lots of excellent riding, others with more local knowledge than me will be able to give better advice than I can. Lakes is a fair drive but perhaps aim for there and ride a day either side on your way there and back? There’s so much good riding in the Lakes as well.

Wales has more trail centre riding that the Lakes too if that makes a difference.

I’m local to the Peak District and it’s got plenty of great riding too but on a different scale to Wales or Lakes. But perhaps worth a day to ride some of the classic bits.

Edit. TJ beat me too it with the driving advice. And on bike hire, you’ll be able to pick them up easy enough at trail centres and at bike shops close to where you ride, but probably not one you can hire for the whole week and take it round the country with you (at least not economically). Bring the Stumpy.

tjagain

Having said that the Scottish borders you could easy spend 3 very different days riding

Mat

3rd-ing what the others have said…

I’d be wary of doing too much driving and getting a few of bits of not a lot across the country. The distances aren’t as far here but the volume of traffic can make it heavy going especially the further South into England you go.

si77

I’ll be able to suggest some ideas for mid and south-east Wales. How long do you want the longer rides to be?

craig24
    Free Member

You could head up to North Wales first, stay a night there, there’s both trail centres and natural riding, depending upon what you’re looking for.

From there carry on up to the Scottish Borders, that should split the drive up nicely. I’d do 3 nights maybe, lots of great riding. Base yourself near Peebles / Innerleithen.

Then maybe the Lake District on the way back down as your passing through it and would be rude not to. That is a fair amount of driving though.

Greybeard
    Free Member

“rides in wilderness areas” – if you’re used to Alaska, the nearest the UK gets to wilderness will feel quite well frequented. Northern Scotland is the best, but a long drive from London. Parts of Wales or the Pennines, but many of the paths will be too boggy for riding and/or (legally) for walking not riding.

nicko74

If you get over to my neck of the woods I’m happy to show you around Brechfa, Afan and the western part of the Brecon Beacons. Mid Wales has a whole bunch of bothies if that is your kind of thing.

I’d agree with all this.
    And as someone else said, bike rental won’t be as convenient as bringing your own – and the brakes will be the wrong way round!

ahsat

I’ve spent a lot of time in Alaska, and our driving distances are very different!  4 hours here can easily become 6, and they are a hard work 4 hours, not the same as cruising up the Denali highway with a view.  The advice the others have said its totally right.

molgrips
    Free Member

You might find it hard to do a wilderness ride if you have not grown up doing it. Navigating in the ground from an OS map takes a fair bit of knowledge of what to expect. There are no waymarked routes outside of trail centres. You would probably be best off with GPX files downloaded onto a GPS device. I don’t have any for you unfortunately.

Trail centres are easy though, there are a fair few but again I mostly know South Wales, someone else will be able to suggest which ones up North are worth a visit.

zippykona

Don’t forget the Surrey hills are on London’s doorstep and certainly worth a look.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Not in Alaska nor in the UK (I’m in Canada) but I can offer some perspectives on UK vs North America riding.

Agree with all the others on don’t underestimate the driving times.

Personally I’d say embrace the population density… one of the biggest things I miss in Canada is cafe / pub stops before or after a ride. Tap up some locals to show you some good routes. Nowhere outside of Northern Scotland is going to be wilderness by your definition.

Navigation is different… There’s so many paths etc it’s not often a case of “where are we” more “where do we go next”. OS maps are excellent (and for good reason) but outside of trail centers you can spend an awful lot of time looking at the maps to work out where to turn. Again local knowledge helps and also what’s good to climb vs descent.

Flow trails are basically only bike parks – they exist but there’s so much more to the UK.

Many, many years ago I did a trip in the UK for some mates from the USA. If you looked back far enough you’d find the thread but it was basically:
    Day 1 – Surrey hills (or maybe Chilterns) for that wooded singletrack feeling and lots of pubs. I was local at the time so didn’t need a guide.
    Day 2/3 – Peak district – Based out of perhaps Hope.
    Day 3/4 – Lake District – Highstreet , coniston maybe?
    Day 5 – North Wales
    Day 6 – South Wales
    Day 7 – South Downs.

reeksy

I had a couple of weeks in the UK this year visiting from Australia and while I didn’t have much time to ride managed to get in:
    – 1 day at Grizedale in the Lake District
    – 2 days at Affan
    – an evening ride in the Peak District
    – first ride on a drop bar bike in 30 years in Lincolnshire.

If you’re happy to go hard and go early you can get around the place fairly quickly. I did a five hour drive followed by a five hour ride at Affan and it was fine. You can rest on the plane home.

I had to hire/borrow bikes and found pros and cons:

Pros:
    – no security issues
    – cheaper than shipping my own bikes
    – fun trying different bikes
    – bike shops give you good local recommendations – bike manufacturers will take you round their local area (and let you ride a demo bike for free!)
    – I didn’t have to clean anything!

Cons:
    – bike shops open later and shut early and weren’t keen on overnight hiring so apart from when i borrowed i was restricted to riding in work hours
    – one of the bikes I didn’t like much

On balance i think hiring was a good option.

Navigation is different… There’s so many paths etc it’s not often a case of “where are we” more “where do we go next”. OS maps are excellent (and for good reason) but outside of trail centers you can spend an awful lot of time looking at the maps to work out where to turn.

This is a really good point! The density of roads, tracks, people, everything, in the UK can make navigation really really time consuming.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The closest thing to wilderness riding in the UK will be in Scotland and it will be amazing.

I assume this is already a big trip for you, which means that the Cairngorm mountains will actually be easily accessible if you are willing to spend money on the sleeper train from London to Inverness. It’s an experience in itself and once there you can hire a camper in Inverness (which will be much cheaper than from London) and head to Aviemore to rent a bike from Backcountry Bikes ( help with routes but you can always ask on here before you go. It’ll be well worth it, and there’s no driving at all on the way up! You’ll also not lose a day of your holiday travelling, as it’s all overnight.

The riding in the Cairngorms is the best in the UK and it’s close to the best (if shortest) trail centre, Laggan.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A slightly different perspective

In some ways I would avoid the far north of Scotland as that is the scenery most like north Alaska (if it can be)

Wales will give you ‘traditional’ moorland and green valleys. The Lakes gives you mountains in a type of alpine ish way you don’t get in Alaska. The west costs of Scotland similar but with sea and midges

IMO decent bike hire isn’t the easiest or cheapest in the uk

This website will give you a flavour of areas and types of riding, does anyone have similar for Scotland?

Route Guides

molgrips
    Free Member

The riding in the Cairngorms is the best in the UK

I’d dispute that. It’s quite a specific type of riding.

nickc

rides in wilderness areas,

Honestly, my advice would be forget this. The UK isn’t Alaska, any wilderness riding here is hours and hours away is hard to get to conveniently, and will be the same sort of thing you can get back home any day of the week, only not quite as good.

Embrace the fact that you’re coming to the UK which has a different sort of riding to what you’re used to back home. I like @sweaman2’s idea of Chilterns, Choice of the either Peaks or West Yorkshire, some Lakes, some Scottish Borders, some North Wales. 5/6 days of riding all really good in their own way, not massive amounts of driving each day in areas that show off the nicer parts of the country, all with accessible trails and pubs, shops, and hotels to make it all easier to plan.

inflatlight
    Free Member

Thanks all this has been super helpful. At this point I am going to try to bring my bike. I like the flexibility of going wherever/whenever and not having to return it in the evenings.

The advice on this thread really helped me narrow things down. As much as I hate to admit it, Scotland is out for this trip (next time!).

I am going to focus on Wales, Lakes, and maybe Surry hills since it’s close to London where I will be flying into.

One complication is I will need to store my bike for a week and a half after riding during some other travel. Any recommendations on a good, affordable storage place near Heathrow? Or perhaps a good bike shop in that area I could contact about storage?

Close to finalizing a campervan rental but if anyone has a recommendation there I’d appreciate it.

inflatlight
    Free Member

I saw a couple of mentions of OS maps…, I use Trailforks for the US. Would OS maps be a better option for UK?

DickBarton

How about getting a sleeper rail service to Scotland? Goes overnight and saves you a drive, you’d be asleep anyway and then you are in Scotland (although they tend to go in to Edinburgh or Glasgow so you’d then need to get from there to where you want to ride (Peebles is doable by bike but you are likely to have luggage so probably not ideal…unless someone local would be able to pick you up, take you to Peebles/Innerleithen and you ride there for the day and then back that evening for the sleeper back to London then somewhere else the next day.

johnnystorm

I’ve driven to the Surrey Hills (disclaimer, just the once) from here in Suffolk and enjoyed it. But taking a day out of a trip all the way from Alaska when it could be another day in Wales/Lakes/Peak District, no chance!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I saw a couple of mentions of OS maps…, I use Trailforks for the US. Would OS maps be a better option for UK?

OS Maps is just the UK  mapping agency. They have maps covering all of the UK showing Bridleways (legal to ride on) and footpaths (not legal to ride on, apart from in Scotland)

Trailforks will be good for showing you the areas of riding although it’s not necessarily used as much as in North America

Unless you go to a uk trail centre you will probably need a map of some sort , so it may be worth paying for an OS maps subscription for the time you are here

+ agree with Johnny, although Surrey hills doesn’t look anything like Alaska so may be nice for a change, but the UK has much nicer scenery

DickBarton

Trailforks is a good shout, but likely to require a data connection (unless you have a Pro account and got access to wifi)…UK does seem to be getting a lot more trails showing on Trailforks these days, I’m guessing more people are now taking the time to add the stuff that is commonly used now.

molgrips
    Free Member

The situation here is a bit different to that in the US where you seem to have various brands of maps offering different things. OS maps are effectively the definitive mapping (not in a strict legal sense though), to the point where you can’t really buy other topographical maps very often. OS shows you where you are allowed to ride, and this usually guides where people end up going and that in turn affects what’s on the ground. Open mapping is ok but the access rights for trails aren’t on there – we have miles and miles of unofficial trails which are appearing on open maps, and are definitely showing up on heat maps.

What I do is correlate the OS mapping with the heat map, but you do kind of have to be able to interpret what’s on the OS map. The situation is messy, to say the least. I would help you with concrete suggestions of ride here or there but I don’t know the areas you are planning to visit very well.

markgraylish
    Free Member

As others have said, OS maps are the equivalent of USGS Topo maps though a hell of a lot more detailed and colourful. They also come in two different scales 1:50000 and 1:25000 (IIRC, USGS are 1:63000 ie one inch to one mile – so OS are a larger scale)

There’s a couple of apps which can overlay your position on OS maps and/or follow a GPX file. Some may have free short term trials or it might be worth subscribing just for the period you are in the UK

singlespeedstu

If you are looking for Enduro type trails you can’t go wrong with the Scottish Borders.
    Give me a shout if you want showing round The Tweed Valley.
    I’ve got plenty of time on my hands and always looking for any excuse to get out and ride.

Oh and bring your Stumpy Evo.
    Great bikes for round here.

augustuswindsock

I would echo what other people have said, don’t spread yourself too thin by trying to fit too much in, if it was me I would pick one or two regions and focus on the quality of the riding rather than the quantity. Wales, Lake District/ Yorkshire Dales (check out the Dales cycle centre in Reeth) Tweed valley in the Scottish Borders should be your focus imho.
    I’m sure there are plenty people on here who’d be happy to show you the best riding in any area.
    Hope you have an absolute blast, keep us all posted on how you get on!

swanny853

I am local to and love riding in the North Downs and Surrey Hills and with a heavy heart I’ll third this:

But taking a day out of a trip all the way from Alaska when it could be another day in Wales/Lakes/Peak District, no chance!

I’d say if you’re going to do a day in the South East just ‘because’/to try different bits of the country I’d head for the South Downs. Someone on here must be able to put together a ‘best bits route that combines lovely tight woodsy singletrack, a pub lunch, some scenic miles up on the downs and a finish at the sea with fish and chips for dinner? Seaford-Friston Forest-
    Alfriston-Firle-Seaford? Brighton-Stanmer-Ditchling-Devil’s Dyke-Brighton?

Ambrose

Looking back at your original post OP, you will lose a lot of time driving to/ from Scotland. From London, I’d budget a day’s drive to e.g. Peebles (Tweed Valley). If it is part of a planned itinery via e.g.Yorkshire Dales maybe less of a problem but it is a long drive. The M6 motorway is not my favorite drive, it’s really unpleasant in places.

South Wales trail centres are approx. 3- 4 hrs drive from London (LHR).
    North Wales trails are approx. 5 hrs drive from London (LHR).
    Mid Wales has a lot of what we consider ‘wilderness’ riding, i.e. open hills and forests, no route marking, proper maps and navigation needed. Plus, a number of bothies to overnight in too if you have your own supplies etc.

I’m more than happy to show you around South West and Mid Wales; dependant on dates, areas etc.

IHN

I can’t fathom coming from Alaska and riding a trail centre, but each to their own.

Pauly

Happy to show you around the South Downs & Brighton if you want @inflatlight

rickmeister

As you’re from Alaska, I’d forget wilderness biking. There is easily 7 days riding behind the Nationwide and Swindon isn’t far from London.

I can’t believe we got so far in this thread without mentioning this urban gem.

onehundredthidiot

Another “happy to throw bikes about” in the Scottish borders. Although work curtails that to weekends and evenings.

reeksy

One complication is I will need to store my bike for a week and a half after riding during some other travel. Any recommendations on a good, affordable storage place near Heathrow? Or perhaps a good bike shop in that area I could contact about storage?

Shirley somebody near Heathrow has a got a bit of short term garage space to help out another mtb rider?

Otherwise maybe look up the companies that ship motorbikes – I know my in-laws have done this a few times from Oz and the moto gets stored until it’s shipped.

csb

I’ll say what I’m thinking and happy to be slated.

As far as I’m aware Alaska riding is world class in the wilderness/epic stakes. We simply don’t have that in the UK (although some will try to persuade you that the remoter bits of Scotland, Lakes, Wales are).

I’d suggest that unless you are really into maps and fathoming bridleways and byways, what we do best in the UK (that I don’t think you get at home) is compact, well maintained trails that make for a no brainer ride on sometimes challenging woody trails which invariably end up at cake. Some of these are near places that would be good examples of the UK culture and worth visiting as a tourist.

That and the Quantocks which are a brilliantly British bit of landscape and riding.

Edit:

Shirley somebody near Heathrow has a got a bit of short term garage space to help out another mtb rider?

I’ve family with a garage near Watford that it could be locked in if you are desperate.

inflatlight
    Free Member

Going back over this thread again right now and just blown away by all the great suggestions/advice.

How reliable is cell/data coverage in Wales? Hoping to be able to use OS Maps/Trailforks on rides. I’ve got a van hired out of London and they can store the bike on the tail-end of the trip so all good there.

I did some reading up on trail ratings in the UK…, prioritizing black trails with emphasis on the downhills (tech, optional jumps, drops). Not looking for pro lines with big mandatory features.

Very loose plan at this point (not completely tied to any of these, let me know if I should consider other options).

Day 1 drive to South Wales, depending on timing, ride Cwmcarn (Twyrch Trail?)
    Day 2 Afan…, possibly ride some or all of the W2 loop
    Days 3/4 drive north toward Snowdonia (ride Dyfi and/or Coed y Brenin?)
    Days 5 drive north again to ride Lake District
    Day 6 head back toward London with a stop for a ride in Peak district

I may have an extra day or two to play with so I could spend more time at any of these spots or hit others along the way.

pedlad

Re days 5/6 combining riding with day long riding….Just be aware that whilst 70 is the UK motorway speed limit, you’ll be doing well to average 50mph or more on long journeys in the UK that have a combination of country A roads, motorway – some of which will undoubtedly be capped at 50 for a proportion of it. May take longer than you expect to cover 150-200 miles before a ride.

inflatlight
    Free Member

Thanks @pedlad, definitely a loose (and possibly optimistic) plan so far. I am looking at driving times on google maps…, is there a preferred map with realistic driving times for UK I should use instead?

I’m also definitely not tied to trail centre riding. I’m still trying to figure out which areas are trail centres and which aren’t.

Also considering flipping it around and starting north and making my way south into Wales just to make the drive back to London shorter at the end of the trip.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.