Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Visiting bus damages gate post then denies culpability.
  • bentudder

I’ve been waiting for someone to make that Swiss reference for THIS ENTIRE THREAD. Thank you, DezB.

DezB
    Free Member

taffy
    Free Member

A gif for every occassion!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

The police came over yesterday, they are going to chase the bus company up.

Rather than wait for any insurance process we’ve made a start on the repair.

wwaswas

love the structural use of 6mm ply and a g-clamp 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Rain has stopped play, curried soup awaits.

franksinatra

What about asking the Swiss people who came to visit if they witnessed anything?

Useless witnesses though, any good lawyer would just see loads of holes in their statements.

Seriously though, this is exactly the type of thing that puts me off from having coachloads of European visitors coming to view my gardens.

ourmaninthenorth

Er, super that you’ve got straight on with repairing them, but are there any “listed gateposts repair rules” you need to follow?

Cougar

Just use a plumb line, then it won’t be listing any more.

z1ppy

Northwind

I think it might be a bit early to build a gallows tbh… First you give them a trial, then you hang them.

wwaswas

they’ve can get a couple more letters wrong before it’s too late…

geoffj

Northwind – Member
    I think it might be a bit early to build a gallows tbh… First you give them a trial, then you hang them.
    POSTED 11 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

😆

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Mcmoonter you may earn your living by being a arty farty type but you have a great ability to turn your hand to any other task at hand and end up with a great outcome

CountZero

Northwind – Member

“Do we find the accused guilty?”
    “Aye”
    “You shall be taken from this place to a place of execution, and hung by the neck until you are dead. May God have mercy on your soul.
    Proceed!”
    Simples. 😀
    I’m sure mcm didn’t actually need to build a gallows, he must still have a tree standing with a branch you could throw a rope over, that hasn’t been cut up to feed the log burner… 😉

busydog
    Free Member

Mcmoonter, just curious, but what do you guess each of those stone blocks weighs?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Job done! Where’s the beer?

My mum is thrilled!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Busydog

It’s hard to say what they weighed. There was only one stone that formed whole ‘storey’. That was the one made the gallows to support the endless chain from. The others were still a significant lift. The capping stone on top we used a system of scaffold boards and broom handle rollers to slide along the adjacent coping stones.

joshvegas
    Free Member

You know when you finish building some ikea chipboard monstrosity and you find a bit left over….

Did you find anything about the size, shape and weight of a hinge…?

edlong
    Free Member

You know when you finish building some ikea chipboard monstrosity

Almost certainly a “no” in this case..

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I was just wondering that.. Hingeectomy in case of further visits by AAA? Or are you going to take it down to them and lob it through the windscreen..?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Josh, we took the hinge out, it was beautifully recessed and keyed into the stone. There’s a picture above showing where it went. It had no wear to it so we suspect gates may never have been fitted to the posts. It was a weighty thing.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I was just wondering that.. Hingeectomy in case of further visits by AAA? Or are you going to take it down to them and lob it through the windscreen..?

The hinge pin was in good shape but the bit that was recessed onto the stone had rusted just enough to expand and fracture some of the sandstone. It has done the same thing on the other side.

OMITN, the listing and regulations? We used a lime and sand mortar as per original, I don’t think there is much more we could have done to conform.

We did consider hanging the endless chain winch from the tree but the nearest branch looked barely strong enough to support just it’s weight.

The gallows allowed to lift and reposition the big stone with no drama.

We moved the capping stone along the coping stones on an ingenious broom handle roller system where the capping stone sat upon a short scaffold board, with the rollers running upon another board. It was frictionless and steerable.

It was great working with Ken and Friend, usually I do these projects on my own and have to find third, fourth, fifth and six hand solutions using G clamps and props. Working through the problems we found some very simple solutions which made the job a lot easier and all the more rewarding to share in the restored Karma at the end.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Second photo , your man has a look that says – put that effing camera down and gies a hand you slacker 😉

As usual good work !

billyboy
    Free Member

Tesco did the same to me about four years ago. They were delivering to a neighbour. The driver reversed straight into my garden wall, dislodged it by about the same amount as your piccies show and knocked the gate clean off. The driver stopped, got out, dusted off his bumper, then drove off. Luckily another neighbour saw it. The local police officer who I seriously believe is corrupt did nothing, then lied to me and I had to politely threaten him to get any investigation done at all. In the event it was half hearted and there was no prosecution. Tesco were wholly hostile as were their insurers but they did eventually pay out.

It’s all bollocks nowadays. The sinned against are expected to absorb the impact and MTFU.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

None of us had done anything like it before. Though we all had complementary skilz. Ken is a civil engineer whose day job is earthquake proofing San Francisco, Friend is the resident timber restoration meister at St David’s Cathederal in Pembrokeshire.

Friend drove up from Wales by car that really needs a thread of it’s own.

honeybadgerx

Just a note on using the lime mortar, might be worth covering the pillar with some dampened hessian for a few days to let it cure properly, that and giving the stone a brief spray with water mist once a day, especially if it gets direct sunlight.

kcal

^that – especially in the warm, sunny, breezy weather..

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Cheers Honeybadgerx

hora
    Free Member

The missing large chip- was that there before?

honeybadgerx

No probs, we’ve got a listed stone building ourselves so I’ve been swotting up on this for a while. The Scottish Lime Centre are over in Fife and are really helpful if you’ve ever got any queries – Linky

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I know the guys at the lime centre, years ago I went to a lime harling day at Brodie Castle they organized, it was fascinating.

Hora, those chips fractured when the pillar was tipped forward by the bus. The sandstone is really brittle. We have the shards, I’m going to try and refix them with some epoxy and stainless pins.

wwaswas

I went to a lime harling day at Brodie Castle they organized, it was fascinating.

not words you often expect to read on a bicycle web site 😉

neilwheel
    Free Member

Polyester resin, for setting studs in masonry, should work to bond those chips back on. The one I use needs a special cartridge gun but I’m sure there are some that fit in a standard sealant gun.
    Usually dries to a grey concrete colour but you can dust some sand over while still tacky to blend it in.

ElShalimo

I went to a lime harling day at Brodie Castle they organized, it was fascinating.

Every day is a school day on STW. I never knew such things existed

leffeboy

Every day is a school day on STW. I never knew such things existed

i only think they exist in mcmoonterland where people turn up in their wooden car to help you fix your gatepost that’s just been knocked over by a bunch of visiting swiss tourists

crankboy
    Free Member

I am sure you did not wish this to happen but you do seem to enjoy rising to the challenge of fixing it.

LoCo
    Free Member

more on the car please, gate post looks good too 😀

CountZero

Nice work, mcm, looks really good now.

parkesie
    Free Member

Crazy wooden bodied 3 wheeled citroen 2cv based contraption os a amazing looking thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Visiting bus damages gate post then denies culpability.’ is closed to new replies.