Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 253 total)
  • Virtual regatta
  • Doug
    Free Member

I’m off to see what the Azores look like!

bigG
    Free Member

upgrade pack is a decent advantage I think, you get
    . better sails
    . the ability to programme course changes & waypoints (you can sleep as she sails herself)
    . auto sail selection (the heavy spinnaker is a must for a strong tailwind, i hit 16knots last night

I might have a rummage around and see if I can’t find a prize somewhere, likely to be either mobile phone related or a bottle of booze. Sloe gin should be about ready for the finish of the race

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is this the same as that Volvo round the World race thingy a couple of years ago? With Terpischore and that??

No I’m not going to sign up; it’s a massive time dump nearly as bad as STW! 😯

(Scuttles off to find VR website…)

EDIT: Bollocks to it the website’s shit and won’t let me register for some bizarre reason. 🙁

En raison d’un pic de frequentation trop important nous ne pouvons vous fournir le contenu demande pour le moment. Merci de bien vouloir patienter et de ressayer dans 15 minutes.

Toute l’equipe de Virtual Regatta s’excuse pour la gene occasionnee et vous souhaite une bonne navigation

Like, WTF? In English please…. 🙄

Doug
    Free Member

I think there’s a day or two at most to be made in the North Atlantic although quite a bit of time could be lost. I think the key to the first leg will be the S Atlantic.

rodderz
    Free Member

I just registered. Rodderz

“For reasons of peak in demand we are not able to complete your request for the moment. Thank you for your patience and try again in 15 minutes.

All the Virtual Regatta team apologises this and wishes you a good navigation”

There were a couple of phrases i was not sure of.

Doug
    Free Member

There are now over 30000 people playing this. Over 5000 have joined since this afternoon!

rodderz
    Free Member

Probably mostly French people. They have given up burning cars for the evening.

bigG
    Free Member

bloody ‘ell, stevomcd got a jump on us all by being a late starter….

I’ve been killing myself on the winches and he does a bloody Dr Who and appears! run out the cannons and prepare to repel boarders.. its time for some piracy on the high seas.. arrrrrrr

uphillcursing
    Free Member

It will all even out in the end I reckon. I am not worried 😯

Made up my mind to try the inshore route as I really dont like the weather forecast for the Canaries and further out. Off to bed now or whatever the nautical term is….

carbon337
    Free Member

getting a funny weather situation where your gona get a lift which ever way you go 🙁 and I need to go to bed. Which way, which way..?

bigG
    Free Member

sleep is for the weak,, i’ll be up all night tacking into the strong winds (and sleeping when everyone shoots past me)

think i might just set a course and head to me bunk

uphillcursing
    Free Member

So the the race has began. Some have gone West looking to ride the lows down to the Equator. This would seem to be the sensible choice, i would think there is pretty much certain to be wind out there.. Some have started to hug the coast, Hoping the coast though the light winds tomorrow and pick up a nice tail wind the day after…

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Bugger, i think I made the wrong choice now. Looks like there will be zero wind where I am heading.Bugger, bugger, bugger!

bigG
    Free Member

I’m staying out west, just can’t decide how far west to go. To turn south and spend 36 hours tacking into a headwind or scoot further west and catch the tail wind.

warton
    Free Member

I’ve gone west, but have bottled it a bit, so now going south westish.

is tacking the only way to deal with a headwind? trying to cut down on internet usage at work… oh well

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Warton, unless you have an engine tacking is the only was to get upwind. But if you get far enough out West you should be able to ride the express train south on the low.

warton
    Free Member

i might go further out then, as it stands I’ll just skim the western side of those islands…

fannybaws
    Free Member

late start for me – bawbag – going to head out.

rodderz
    Free Member

I was in towards the coast to get some speed and everyone seems to be dying a death in close to the coast. I am now crossing out west and will ride the low down. Just need to get out further than west Africa.

I do want the pro sails however…. do we buy them???

dazzlingboy

Going west young man.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Rodderz, it is considered bad form to have the upgraded sails! I think its only BigG that has them from the STW lot. Might be wrong though. Anyone else feel they have something to share ?

dazzlingboy

😳 upgraded before the “no upgrading” rule was posted. I think it is making bugger all difference though to be honest – have ended up using the normal sails 75% of the time thus far.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Tongue in cheek really. I don’t care. Still going to win. 8)

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Unless, of course, i spend the whole time becalmed off the NE coast of Morroco.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I’m going with the all-out-or-die option…. see you in the Azores!

dazzlingboy

Sadly I’ve become quite addicted to this game. Running in the background constantly! For a game where nothing happens for hours at a time, it is very compelling.

spooky_b329

WellI signed up, it was looking good whilst choosing my boat colours etc but whenI got to the game it went really laggy on my htc desire, and missing clicks. Almost impossible to seta course accurately 🙁 one for the PC suppose, played, the volvo ocean race one but lost interest halfway round!

rodderz
    Free Member

I travelled to Sweden this am with work and first time i got a chance to look was around mid day. Now watching the winds. Taking a 241 heading (south west) looking at winds in 12hr to 24 hr. Just made a slight correction to make it a more westerly course as the 12 hr and 24 winds are a bit more promising but easing off.

I will not buy the sails although more gear seems more fun…

P20

Joined up. I did it last year and eventually got bored, but it was fun.
    Paramedic Pirate 😀

bigG
    Free Member

planning on turning south and tacking madly towards madeira. winds are looking good just off the coast south of the canaries, and will probably stay inshore of the cape verde islands.

the winds to the south west of the azores will leave you in slack winds i think.

dazzlingboy

after the stage to Cape Town, I take it we all start again together for the next leg? Or do the first finishers get to turn straight round and crack on? Surely there must be a time limit to get into port in that case?

P20

Everyone starts the stage at the same time. So if you don’t complete the previous, don’t worry

Daniel
    Free Member

I’ve signed up and applied for the stw group as: series 1

uphillcursing
    Free Member

has everyone been adding the names of the other STW members to their friends list? Makes it easy to spot where the buggers are!

carbon337
    Free Member

Im the one who is in the middle of both fleets – mr indecisive.

I sailed this leg once – did a Cowes to Gran Canaria paid delivery trip as a student. It blew a hoolie for 2 weeks in November. Better than Uni though.

njee20
    Free Member

God it’s calm out there now! The next 24 hours are looking dull!

carbon337
    Free Member

im waitong for a lift so I can gybe on it – need to go to bed soon and its taking ages to get there. The Southern Ocean is more fun than this leg.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Need to hold my nerve and not chicken gybe back to the West. Easier said than done though.
    6 knots of speed in 7 knots of wind. Don’t these things go on apparent wind?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Still interesting out where I am! Only trouble is I’m half-way to New York and we’re supposed to be heading for Cape Town! :mrgreen:

uphillcursing
    Free Member

get a load of Jockonabike. he must have the Gucci sails doing doing 11.3 knots in 10 knots upwind!

Getting nervous and full of self doubt? not me 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 253 total)

The topic ‘Virtual regatta’ is closed to new replies.