Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Virgin Router issues/ wifi booster deals / recommendations?
  • DT78
    Free Member

With virgin on their latest hub, it used to be great but now seems to struggle with range. when you are connected speed is ok

I can’t think of why something would have been okay then slowly gets worse – I would have thought it either worked or it didn’t.

Anyone else experienced this?

I’ve been recommended a wifi booster – I did try one from tp link and I ended up with 2 different wifi names and it got confusing for devices (and me)

Do they all work this way? or is there a device that will simply extend rather than create a second instance?

Finally any cheap deals in black Friday? virgin apparently will rent me a booster for £3pcm

johnjn2000

A lot of people find the Virgin router sh!t for WiFi. I get over 200mpbs on wired and only slightly less on WiFi until I move a room away and then everything is just a bit rubbish. I have sort of got around it thanks to a geeky mate who set me up another router connected via the wall plug extenders. Now our devices connect to the strongest signal as we wander, not the cleanest of solutions though and by no means foolproof.

My next plan is to turn the Virgin router to a modem and then buy an obscenely expensive Netgear router which apparently can send WiFi to the moon.It will also have a lot more tech in it to manage the multiple device requirements. Only thing stopping me testing the theory, apart from lack of spaceship, is someone raised an issue with using the Virgin router in modem mode with Netgear products. I need to look further into this.

Some people swear by the range extenders, they just haven’t done the job for me when I have tried them.

DT78
    Free Member

A chap has mention it could it be something to do with the number of devices connected as it used to be much better?

I’ve bought a number of alexa devices (upto 5 now) – I was under the impression that they are hardly taking up any bandwidth when they weren’t being used…

I used to work on my laptop in the dining room, now my laptop works fine in the front room with a couple of metres of the router, walk to dining room no connection (not a slow connection) none.

Would a mesh type system resolve this problem?

Del

If your house is reasonably modern just spend 60 quid on a decent WiFi router and put the Virgin thing in to modem mode, which will mean it just deals with the connection, allowing your nice router to handle the WiFi. Took me longer to think of passwords and stuff than physically set up. Full speed connection all over the house.

eskay

My hub 3 is in modem mode and connected to a tp-link router with access point in the loft (all same ssid). I also have network switch in loft and as I decorate each room I am installing a network point, this means kids ps4s, TVs and pcs are not hammering the wifi

darkroomtim
    Free Member

I use Google Mesh from my Virgin router and works well around the house

DT78
    Free Member

I’ve just done a broadband test, in the lounge next to the router I get 100mbps (what I pay for) in the dining room, across the hallway it is 10mbps. That’s almost line of sight with doors open and less than 5 metres.

But, it didn’t used to be like this, that’s what I don’t understand.

Is this something so do with the number of devices or just a rubbish router?

I will try a new router. Any recommendations / deals?

CraigW
    Free Member

Interference from the neighbours wifi?
    Try changing the channel, or try 5Ghz if your devices support that. Get a wifi analyser app on your phone, to check what channels are being used nearby.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Router issues/ wifi booster deals / recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.