Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Virgin media super hub and aftermarket router
  • escrs
    Free Member

So Ive been reading on here that people have been putting their super hub 3’s into modem mode and using an aftermarket routed for improved wifi

So i a have a few questions

When using the aftermarket router do you need to connect the tv and super hub’s Ethernet cables into the new router or can you leave them in the super hub then run an Ethernet cable from the super hub in to the new router?

Reason im asking is i want to put the new router in the centre of the room (super hub 3 is currently at one end of the room near the VM cable’s entry into the house) but i cant extend the the TV and super hub 3’s Ethernet cables to this new location in the centre of the room

This is the router im looking to buy, cant afford to spend anymore and has to be from here as i have a voucher

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/tp-link-archer-c7-wireless-cable-router-ac-1750-dual-band-21472770-pdt.html

MrPottatoHead

Connect superhub to new router via Ethernet. Everything else connects into router.

I’ve had it setup with home plugs in between modem and router so that I could place router in a more central location, which worked well too.

Fwiw I’m using netgear nighthawk.

Del

When you put the VM box on modem mode it kills off all but one Ethernet port, which is the one you connect your router to.
    Extend the cable and move the VM box too?

ajaj
    Free Member

I know people complain about ISP supplied kit, but for what it’s worth our Hub 3 has better WiFi coverage and is more stable than the TP-Link TL-WDR3600 that runs the other half of our network. It’s not a like-for-like comparison but the Hub 3 isn’t a bad bit of kit (it’s a lot better than the old superhub). Would a wireless access point solve your WiFi problems?

escrs
    Free Member

Ahh bugger! looks like i cant do that then

Due to the layout of the room i cant really move the vm hub from its current location, would mean running all cables 20ft along a wall to the centre of the room and its not possible to hide them (can only just manage to hide the one Ethernet cable running from the vm hub to my p.c)

A wireless access point would improve coverage (have a range extender for coverage in the garage but it cuts half the speed) so may take a look at going down that route…r

I presume i can use the same one i posted above and just connect it to my super hub via the Ethernet cable i already have running to the middle of the room to my p.c then just connect the p.c via WiFi rather then the Ethernet cable

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/tp-link-archer-c7-wireless-cable-router-ac-1750-dual-band-21472770-pdt.html?awc=1599_1578027567_3b4fa985fdd06da7e9cc3bcf1e35f19b&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~Skimlinks~Sub%20Networks~78888~Skimlinks

sadmadalan

I’ll be honest, I have a SH3 and a mesh network (Orbi). I have my NAS connected to the SH3 along with the main Orbi node. Both of them do DHCP – although on the SH3, I’ve got fixed addresses for the NAS and the are on different subnets (192.168.0 for the SH3 and 192.168.1 for the Orbi). The SH3 is NOT in modem mode, but I have turned off the Wi-Fi network (after migrating everything to the Orbi subnet/Wi-Fi). It may not be pretty, but it works. I know that ideally everything should hang off the Orbi, but history and physical location of the SH3, Orbi and NAS means that it i snot practical!

Still get the max speed on the Virgin BB (even from Wi-Fi connected devices on the Orbi subnet) so I know it works!

cnud
    Free Member

I’ve got the google mesh system which just plugs into a spare ethernet out on my Virgin superhub 2, (no need for modem only mode) which gives me full 200mb anywhere in the house and outlying buildings. It’s expensive but there was a PSA the other day for a cheaper system that I’m sure would do the same. Would mean going all wifi though Link to PSA

Sandwich

That C7 router will also run MESH if my quick perusal of the firmware update is anything to go by. A second one would allow a MESH network in the house which is more seamless than the extender solution (all the same network name and roaming around the house should allow devices to switch smoothly between network providing devices).

Watch that the firmware updates don’t dry up too quickly the last one was in August last year and there was one prior to that in May.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Virgin media super hub and aftermarket router’ is closed to new replies.