Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Virgin Media – End of Contract
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

Anyone ‘done a deal’ with them? Are they a bit like Sky?

I know exactly what I want, the cost has crept as it often does and is about 40% more than when I joined 18 months ago. I currently pay for 100Mbps fibre (and get about 115 according to SpeedTest) some sort of mid-level premium channel package, of which some is in HD some isn’t, a landline that has never worked, not ‘never used’ is actually has never worked, can’t get a dial tone, but they say if the fault is internal blah blah, they’ll bill me and we never use it. Costs £65 ish a month…

What I want…

Lose the premium channels, we only use NowTV anyway.

Lose half the bandwidth, I don’t download large files and even with the Lad trying his hardest to watch all of Youtube 115 is too much.

Lose the phone.

But… keep the crappy V3 box for the sake of the freeview channels, keep the recorder, keep the HD versions of the freeview channel.

Save mucho money.

I know, I could ask them, but they’re being a bit coy until the contract ends on Saturday. Am I best off cancelling and seeing what they offer?

dovebiker

Upgraded my VM service to the V3 Superbox and 100mb modem / router – the wifi performance is abysmal (router upstairs, brick-built house) and I’ve had to install a Powerline adapter to get on-demand working. Netflix still rubbish. Never had any problems with the old Cisco router. Saved about a tenner a month on the subscription, plus got more bandwidth and free telephone

themilo
    Free Member

To be clear, are you saying you want broadband and freeview hd?

scrumfled
    Free Member

You dont get anywhere until they know you’re serious, which means pressing the IVR option for disconnections.

I did that, but you have to be willing to leave and have ready a package offer from another supplier thats equivalent to what you want. In our case, I refused the first 2 offers, they came back with fun TV, vivid100, upgrade to a v6 box (worthwhile), phone (we never use it, but they always include it) talk weekends etc. Cost <£31/month.

Downside, the next hub thingy is a heap of crap, poor wifi coverage and for some reason prone to lag spikes.

P-Jay
    Free Member

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>To be clear, are you saying you want broadband and freeview hd?</span>

Yes, but via the Virgin box ideally. I don’t really care that much about the TiVo element either, although I’d use it if I could.

jimdubleyou

We have 200MB internet, and basic TV & phone.

Cost just went up £5 a month to £58 as the offer I got the last time expired in April.

I might be back on the phone to renegotiate when I can be bothered.

themilo
    Free Member

not to be a d1ck about it but why the TiVo box?  I’d have thought that any hd freeview box with a HDD would provide the same functionality for (over the term of any monthly agreement) a fraction of the cost.  That leaves you free to negotiate the BB only element independently of some inflated cost TV package.  You’ve got now TV anyway so the TiVo is adding what?  Only potential cost it seems tbh?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I can’t seem to get a terestrial signal at home, I’ve seen on some Virgin consumer forums that you can keep the functionality of the box for a token amount £5 a month was mentioned for that I’d be happy to stick with it.

themilo
    Free Member

Fair enough then I guess.  I’d be calling them to get the best broadband deal I could (having checked the competition of course) and see if I could get the Freeview function chucked in.  Good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Media – End of Contract’ is closed to new replies.