Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Virgin Broadband
  • footflaps

Just emailed me to say they’re upping my rate from 20Mb/s to 50Mb/s for free.

Only not till sometime between August 2014 and Feb 2015.

Talk about announcing things a bit early……

Still can’t complain, more pron can never be a bad thing….

wwaswas

Promising ours for May this year. Free bandwidth can’t be bad. 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

Hmm well I get told one month I’ve got more channels then the next that my fee is going up a fiver.

footflaps

They have ramped the price up loads over the last year or so, I pay something like £25/month just for broadband.

lightman
    Free Member

They did exactly the same thing not long ago, and then as others have said, they waited a few months and then put all the prices up!
    My costs went up nearly 20% and I only have a basic package.

footflaps

Yep, we went from 10 Mb/s to 20 Mb/s for ‘free’ and then two months later they upper the bill!

craigxxl
    Free Member

I received the same email but Virgin has a different interpretation of “free” to me as they have bumped my bill up whilst giving me channels I never asked for or wanted. The cost of the speed increase would have been less than what they’ve bumped my bill up by over the last 12 months.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think I am up to 120mb now with all the speed hikes they have thrown at me.

….as above bills have sneaked up, but not horrendous for the service. Also, ring up every now and again to have a moan and get a discount. Going to go for a Superhub 2 next time….not that I really need one.

Edit: Just thought I would check my account, and greeted by this:

….sorry, Footflaps, looks like they are sorting out the Fenland Big Hitters first 😛

zippykona

I spoke to a very nice lady who gave me more intraweb,a fancy hub 2 and knocked £9 off my bill.
    Good stuff.

Sandwich

I’m getting a speed bump to 100Mb in July from 60Mb. Wonder what the bill will go up to in September.

robdob
    Free Member

I gladly pay for Virgin as any other option in my house (even though I live in HD1) gives me a 1.5mb max line.
    Going up to 60mb soon for free.

samuri
    Free Member

Argue, get a discount, hang up, phone again, argue, get a discount…repeat.

We got max broadband/tv/phone for £30 a month for six months because I just kept phoning up and asking for a discount. It’s about £50 a month now but I can take that for 100Mb/Large/Large

allthepies
    Free Member

Mine’s due an upgrade from 20Mb to 50Mb in March.

But may well drop them by then due to she-ite service in the last 12 months.

BT fibre available in the area for less ££ and faster speeds.

Sandwich

No option but the off shore support call system with BT kills it for me.

stever
    Free Member

Oh stop it you people. I had to call them up yesterday because my speed had dropped to 0.5 Mbps. Line reset and I’m currently at a mighty 3.5 🙂

footflaps

Jamie, what on earth do you need 120 Mb/s for?

I think our whole office is only on 100 Mb/s (uncontended).

br
    Free Member

We had Virgin on cable for many years, we started off at 1MB and every so often they upped the rate. Once we’d got to 10MB, everytime they did it I rang up and dropped down to a cheaper rate.

Eventually the cheapest rate was at 20MB. Worked fine even with Xbox Live, and a couple of PC’s surfing plus Sky On Demand downloading.

We moved house and the maximum line speed we can now get is about 3.5MB (rural).

While the On Demand programmes take longer to download, usually 15 mins before you can start watching them; everything works just as well as when we had 20MB.

FWIW – my first modem ran at 2400bps 🙂

cp

My experience of virgin used to be very good. Now its only occasional that I see 20mb/s and its usually less than 10, often less than 1 and at least once a week virtually nothing.

Their tech support is not very good.

tonyd

We used them before we moved (they don’t service our new area) and I was quite pleased with them. Ours go upped to 120Mbps about 6 months after they told us it would, I don’t recall a price hike though but we may have moved by the time it was due.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie, what on earth do you need 120 Mb/s for?
    I think our whole office is only on 100 Mb/s (uncontended).

Honestly, I don’t need that much at all. It’s mostly through my own laziness, and Virgin upping the speeds over the last 10 years, for relatively small incremental bill increases, that I have gone from the XXL package being 20mb back in the day, to 120mb…and soon 150mb.

Having 150mb is a bit ridiculous, and will probably prompt me to see what the lower tiered options will save me now. As 50mb would probably do. Thing is, last time I rang them it turns out I was only paying a little bit more for the XXL, than the next package down, so it might not even be worth saving a few quid and still have the ability to download the internet overnight.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Broadband’ is closed to new replies.