Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Violent washing machine – help!
  • 2tyred

My new washing machine is psychotic. He arrived this morning, all German and friendly-looking and connected up no bother, in the same place as the recently-deceased one. I even read the instructions first, adjusted the feet and checked with a spirit level then did the first empty cycle.

The floor in there is just floorboards, so there’s a bit of movement, but I’ve put down rubber matting from the workshop. Feels solid enough when the machine’s off, I can’t rock it in any direction.

All’s well until he gets onto a spin cycle, then he starts trying to destroy the laundry cupboard. There’s nothing holding him in place either side, so he just goes wandering off, banging about all over the place.

This does not seem normal. Its a Bosch something or other.

Does anyone have any tips for keeping it in place?

Uh oh, here we go again…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Have you removed all the transit bolts etc?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

have you removed the transit bolts

all of them?

[EDIT] damn beaten to it

franksinatra

COuld be that the drum has come off its hangers in transit.

Olly
    Free Member

did they forget to put the breeze block on top (thats in the back of all washing machines i think?)

you could try and balance the drum a bit better :S
    did you leave some dark matter in one of the pockets of your jeans?
    that may have enough weight to cause it to walk around?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wot King tut said

withersea
    Free Member

you need to remove the bolts they fit so it doesn’t get damaged in transit. they are normally big things on the back of the machine – normally have a big health warning on the machine/instructions saying don’t use until you’ve done this! most people do what you’ve done though! it shouldn’t have caused any problems though if its just the once.

sofatester
    Free Member

Get a fat lass to sit on it. This will solve two problems; firstly it will stop your washing machine running around the room, trashing the place. Secondly it will satisfy the fat lass, which in turn will mean she will not chat me up when I’m out with the hope of sympathy shag!

Everyone is a winner.

cinnamon_girl

Aha, I know what’s happened here. With German machines, they use “transit bars” for, funnily enough, when it’s in transit. I did not realise this with mine and had the same problem!!

RTFM as it were to find out where they are but you should be able to spot them.

Good luck and let us know how you get on 8)

withersea
    Free Member

bloody hell don’t we all know a lot a bout washing machines/the needs of fat lasses…..

cinnamon_girl

Blimey, you lot were too quick!!

franksinatra

Who needs google or wikipedia when you have STW?

STW, bucket of all knowledge, about everything.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it’s more of a dilute sea of knowledge with useful bits floating around like fairly sparse shoals of fish

every so often you happen across a whale though

mugsys_m8

We had the same problem.
    We cured it.
    It was a bit of a big fix though…
    Moving from a Sheffield 2 up 2 down with suspended timber floors to an old farmhouse near Lyon, France with a garage with concrete floor and washing machine plumbing. It works a treat now! Silky smooth

Seriously, check all transit bolts are out, work through the instructions step by step, get someone else to have a look with fresh eyes. Then if still doing it I always thought about it eliminating the problem i.e machine or location. Try it somewhere else on a concrete floor. If it still happens it’s more than likely the machine.

If proved to be the location then try big rubber feet, stiffening up the floor frame locally etc etc.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

Blimey, you lot were too quick!!

I’ve had a lot of washing machines, they always seem to disappear along with ex girlfriends and ex wives.

😐

verses

My Bosch one was dancing all around the kitchen, and sure enough it was the transit bolts.
    What was annoying about it though is that the manual doesn’t mention them apart from in an appendix tucked away in the back. They’re not mentioned at all in the “Setting up your new washing machine” section…

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it…

SweetJumps
    Free Member

I assume that when you read the instructions you took out the transit bolts out; in which case the machine is obviously *****d so get the hose pipe, muckoff and brush out and clean your clothes like a man, don’t forget to spray everything in GT85 when they are dry.

2tyred

Right, there’s nothing in the manual or installation instructions about transit bolts, or any stickers on the back, but there are four large bolts at the back each holding a curved plastic bracket, around which the waste hose was wound when it was delivered. Do these sound like transit bolts?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

could be, should be some kind of separate installation instructions that mention the bolts.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Right, there’s nothing in the manual or installation instructions about transit bolts, or any stickers on the back, but there are four large bolts at the back each holding a curved plastic bracket, around which the waste hose was wound when it was delivered. Do these sound like transit bolts?

I can’t say, but it will definitely have them otherwise it would be fubared by the time it was delivered.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

undo one of them, it should be pretty long and they usually have some kind of large plastic spacer on the other side that will fall out of the bottom of the machine

mugsys_m8

they do sound like transit bolts…..

what’s the worst that can happen?………………………………………………………………………………

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright – Member

it’s more of a dilute sea of knowledge with useful bits floating around like fairly sparse shoals of fish

every so often you happen across a whale though

LOL

verses

Cough Cough 😉

My Bosch one …. the manual doesn’t mention them apart from in an appendix tucked away in the back

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Check to see if your model is on the list at the bottom of the page, if so your transit bolts should look like the picture.

neilb67
    Free Member

Look for something like this

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Beat you to it neil.

8)

2tyred

pretty long and they usually have some kind of large plastic spacer on the other side

Yep, that’s them!

The ‘manual’ is an 8 page A5 folded leaflet, with no appendixes at all (unless Mrs Tyred removed and hid the real thing in order to test my handyman skills).

OK, I’ll remove all four, switch it back on and see what happens…

neilb67
    Free Member

Well if he undoes the bolts YOU told him about Kingtut and the drum falls out then he can blame you first… 😆

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Why is everyone suggesting transit bolts? If they were all in then it wouldn’t spin, surely?

neilb67
    Free Member

The transit bolts only take out the movement of the dampers on the drum and not the revolving of it

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

the transit bolts lock into the large cast (although often plastic now aparently) spider that supports the drum, if the drum had bolts in it that you removed i suspect you’d be more worries about mopping up the flood!

2tyred

As if by magic.

Thank you all very much indeed!

Once again, STW to the rescue. Rivalling the Glaswegian Dolmio sauce adverts on youtube as the best thing on the internet.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

No Problem.

That’s a £50 call out charge and another £25 per 30 mins thereafter.

£75 for cash will be fine.

😉

verses

No Problem.

That’s a £50 call out charge and another £25 per 30 mins thereafter.

£75 for cash will be fine.

Each…

😉

Flaperon

Erm, does this apply to tumble driers too? I remember thinking our new one was a bit noisy when I installed it 3 weeks ago…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yes.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Violent washing machine – help!’ is closed to new replies.