Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Violated at the chippy….
  • RustySpanner

New job, new chippy just down the road.

”Hiya, fish, chips and peas please”.

“That’ll be six pounds and fifty pence”.

YOU **** WHAT?!?

Not ‘artisan’.

Not fried in unicorn dripping.

Haddock, not Coelacanth.

We’re not in Burnley anymore Toto.

Spin
    Free Member

Haddock, not Coelacanth.

Be grateful for small mercies, its supposed to be minging.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But was it any good?

Not had fish and chips in pounds for ages though is it that bad

ElShalimo

@Rusty – do you live in the 1980s?

F&C have been steadily increasing in price in recent years due to fish stocks, potato shortages, fuel duty, Brexit, the Black Death, Suez Crisis etc etc.

tomhoward

Bout standard round me. And I live in the North. Maybe not quite in Leeds, but definitely in Harrogate.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

do you live in the 1980s?

We’re not in Burnley anymore Toto.

I think they got the 80s next valley over channel 4 and everything

martinhutch

<h1 class=”post-title”>Violated at the chippy….</h1>

Battered sausage?

matt_outandabout

Deep fried mars bar and a couple of scotch eggs more like…

somafunk

You’d be looking at spending £8.00+ up here in Kirkcudbright for a fish supper, all locally caught fish though.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Eeey ba gum it were 2 shillin and 6 punce last time i were out.

fossy

The prices are frightening – even over £6 in Hulme (Manchester) for fish chips and peas.

Drac

From £4.50 to just over £7 here depending on what size. I guess you’ve not had them for along time.

Tracey

Change from a fiver at our local. Big fish and loads of chips.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Haddock & Chips at my local …..

£12.50

SaxonRider

We have a national award winning chippy just down from our house, and an order of F&C, generously provisioned, is just shy of £4.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’d be questioning the quality of a fish supper at 6.50.

rene59
    Free Member

Chippy in Ullapool (which is the best I’ve ever had) is £8 to £10 depending on size of Haddock fillet (large to seriously large). Fish are landed at the harbour pretty much next door and are as fresh as it gets without going out and catching it yourself.

I’d be suspicious of anywhere claiming to sell a quality fish supper for less than that.

tomd
    Free Member

Small NE town here, our very local chippy is £4.50 for small fish £6.50 for a moby dick sized Cod/ haddock. Chips extra £1.50 but that’s enough for 2. Fried in dripping of course.

It’s a decent chippy and seems about the going rate despite this being one of the cheapest parts of the country.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Well down here in Surrey the local chippies seem to give pretty large portions, so a large cod & chips will do easily for two people, and therefore is quite cost efficient. Same with the Indian.

RustySpanner

Local chippy at the last plaice:

Ali’s mum used to make the best samosas this side of The Punjab (the one on Milkstone Road). Large portions for regulars, so two lots of chips would feed four.   🙂

Seaside is different. You pay more for big, beautifully fresh fish fed on your own effluent, rather than someone else’s.

I miss those samosas.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did you ever find out what the fish was?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

You must be up The North?

£6 just for battered fish hereabouts

(Which is incidentally a piece of mushy, flavourless tat)

You have to dig another 2 quid deeper if you want chips with it.  Mushy peas also?  Another quid.

Now we’re at £9 for fish chips n peas.  It’s at this point I usually realise that for the same price I can purchase an excellent freshly prepared curry cooked to my taste.

Going back to the chippy – the portions are, to be fair, big enough to share for two, so if you like bland sloppy tat then that works out at £4 each for a couple to jointly celebrate the demise of the great fish supper.

Ah well, it’s all fattening if eaten regularly.  I try and wait and save instead for those rare times we pass a good fish n chip shop, then go crazy with the fish and peas and everything!

RustySpanner

I always thought it best not to enquire.🙂

Not difficult for a man partial to a sober, lunchtime kebab.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well. Next time just get the battered sausage and think of fishy smells 😉

carlosg
    Free Member

I’m not even sure how much a single portion is at our Leeds local but 4 fish , 2 chips , 1 battered sausage ,1 portion of pineapple fritters and a large curry comes in at £23.50.

I don’t think that’s too bad a price for that amount , the fish are enormous as are the portions of chips (hence only 2) all freshly cooked . Well worth it.

Someone mentioned mushy/tasteless fish , that’ll be cod then #bluergh . The guy who has the chippy on my post round started serving cod instead of haddock when there was a price increase , myself and a work colleague asked him to get some haddock in and he said ‘yeah but it will be 70p more than before’ after 2weeks he stopped the cod off the menu as everyone was stumping up the extra for haddock.

andyl
    Free Member

Was the fish good and fresh and caught in a sustainable manner and the staff paid a decent wage?

there are more important things than saving a bob or two on your fish supper.

MrSmith
    Free Member

£16 for haddock and chips at my local chippy in Herne Hill

if you went for large chips it would do 2 of you if you are not chubby waddlers

(none of that curry sauce nonsense either)

senorj

Battered sausage with curry sauce. We’re posh.

athgray
    Free Member

Chippy in Ullapool (which is the best I’ve ever had) is £8 to £10 depending on size of Haddock fillet (large to seriously large)

I haven’t had fish from the chippy in Ullapool for years, but this was certainly true. We used to call it going for  Moby supper. (And I don’t mean the bald 90’s producer). The gulls in Ullapool are the size of teradactyls!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

if you went for large chips it would do 2 of you if you are not chubby waddlers

The OP is somewhere up north. 3 large chips will do a couple and their toddler.

myti
    Free Member

Sounds like a bargain!  At least 8.50 here!

P-Jay
    Free Member

That’ll be £8.50 here, well after they’ve found some peas to sell you anyway.

The trick with our local is to go for large portions for an extra £1.50 (£1 fish, 50p chips) and it’s pretty much twice the size. Also near half-price pensioner special feeds a 12 year old quit well.

oldtimejedi
    Free Member

What type of spanner would that rusty one be sir.

robbo1234biking

My wife opened this thread and was disappointed that the thread didn’t include some kind of violation by a battered sausage!

ads678

Bloody hell. My local chippy in Leeds is just over £3 for fish and chips!! We can get dinner for the four of us for about a tenner.

Not massive portions but well nice!

jimdubleyou

The Mayfair Chippy, supposed best chippy in London do fish, chips peas and a sauce for £8 (haddock) or £10 (cod).

Plus they will do you a black pudding fritter and apple sauce which is bloody lovely.

Quite expensive, but bloody lovely

rone

Nothing beats good quality fish and chips. Especially in beef dripping and you should have to pay a good rate for that, which will be still cheaper than the average pub meal.

dozofoz
    Free Member

Ullapool. – southern prices but so so good.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Largs is about £6 for a fish supper from the two decent chippies.

Troon though, if you ever go to the Wee Hurrie make sure it’s payday!

@mattoab – would never dream of ordering that from the chippie in Bridge of Allan! (I swear they put crack in their chips

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’m in Aylesbury Monday to Friday; don’t know how much the chips are but a battered cod is £4.40

pretty sure I can get haddock & chips for less than a fiver at home in Baildon (near Bratfud). There’s a chippy in Shipley that’ll do f&c for < £3. Can’t speak for the quality mind

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Violated at the chippy….’ is closed to new replies.